HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 09, 2011, 02:49 PM
REAL old new guy!
United States, HI
Joined Jul 2011
491 Posts
Discussion
Upgraded Hawk Sky! Ouch.

Well I upgrated my Hawk Sky motor to a Grayson V3. It took off like a rocket at 1/2 power.
Went vertical for 100+ feet, gave it full power and the motor blew out of the fuselage. Luckily broke a wire and it shut off. Did a good dead stick landing.

I'm now trying to figure out how to put it back and have it stronger.
So far I'm planning on epoxy and zip ties thru the motor cowling and thru the wing slots reinforced with tougue blades.
Any other suggestions??
Goop?
Dakine48 is offline Find More Posts by Dakine48
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 09, 2011, 02:59 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
12,871 Posts
Any other suggestions??

Yes, use the motor in a plane that's more suitable to what you want to do in the way of flying.

Or would you really bolt a blown nitro V8 onto a motorized skateboard and try to ride it ?
eflightray is offline Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Sep 09, 2011, 04:02 PM
REAL old new guy!
United States, HI
Joined Jul 2011
491 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eflightray View Post
Any other suggestions??

Yes, use the motor in a plane that's more suitable to what you want to do in the way of flying.

Or would you really bolt a blown nitro V8 onto a motorized skateboard and try to ride it ?
Heck yes!!!
Old Sep 10, 2011, 08:58 PM
Joined Feb 2011
21 Posts
haha post some pictures please, i wanna see what happened. Now im scared to put that motor in my hawk sky. i wouldn't use zip ties because they can losen and carve into the foam.
rcthrasher is offline Find More Posts by rcthrasher
Old Sep 10, 2011, 11:18 PM
REAL old new guy!
United States, HI
Joined Jul 2011
491 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcthrasher View Post
haha post some pictures please, i wanna see what happened. Now im scared to put that motor in my hawk sky. i wouldn't use zip ties because they can losen and carve into the foam.
I'd also glued the motor mount back after a earlier header so it was weak already.
I glued tongue blades in the wing slot where the zip ties would cut into the foam. I haven't tried it yet. It's ready to go tho. Maybe tomorrow.
Old Sep 11, 2011, 12:50 PM
Joined Nov 2010
206 Posts
Use wooden dowels or carbon rods to shove through the motor mount foam and down into the main fuselage. Then epoxy them in so they don't move. Should hold it pretty tight.
Brandon M is offline Find More Posts by Brandon M
Old Sep 11, 2011, 01:05 PM
REAL old new guy!
United States, HI
Joined Jul 2011
491 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon M View Post
Use wooden dowels or carbon rods to shove through the motor mount foam and down into the main fuselage. Then epoxy them in so they don't move. Should hold it pretty tight.

Thanks. I'll do that with bamboo shiskibob sticks.
Old Sep 11, 2011, 03:52 PM
REAL old new guy!
United States, HI
Joined Jul 2011
491 Posts
Well I flew today. Works great and I'm "back in business". Even did a slow motion "snap roll" while going vertical from launching.
Snap ties still tight even after a couple of minor cartwheels upon landing.
Plane looks a bit "ugly" but fly's GREAT.
Caught one thermal that took it out of sight. I'm still waiting for it to come down!!! LOL.
Old Sep 11, 2011, 04:30 PM
REAL old new guy!
United States, HI
Joined Jul 2011
491 Posts
Pic of Zips

UGLY but I'm flying and flying FAST!!Name: Zip Ties.jpg
Views: 100
Size: 91.9 KB
Description: Ugly but works GREAT!
Old Sep 11, 2011, 08:48 PM
Joined Nov 2010
206 Posts
Hah. I dig it! Planes like this are the most fun. Since they've already been beat to death, you end up not really caring too much about them which makes them more fun to fly. Ugly is an easy fix. Just chuck it up in the sky and you can't tell what it looks like. Only thing that matters is how much fun It is to fly.
Brandon M is offline Find More Posts by Brandon M
Old Sep 13, 2011, 02:04 PM
Mark Harrison
USA, CA, Piedmont
Joined Jun 2010
2,177 Posts
What kind of paint?

I want to paint the wings to get a bit better contrast in the sky.

What's a good paint for this? Hopefully something that doesn't add too much weigh.
marhar is offline Find More Posts by marhar
Old Sep 13, 2011, 02:05 PM
Mark Harrison
USA, CA, Piedmont
Joined Jun 2010
2,177 Posts
Good motor for upgrade?

What's a good replacement motor? Two scenarios:

- to keep standard level of power
- to hop up power
marhar is offline Find More Posts by marhar
Old Sep 13, 2011, 02:51 PM
NKK for short...
United States, IN, Mitchell
Joined Oct 2010
216 Posts
Grayson sells the MJV3 - MicroJet V3 - that Dakine48 uses - it's probably the most popular motor upgrade for the Hawk Sky.

Another option would be a 2212-06 motor (I think Grayson has one, calls it the MegaJet I believe?).
Don't forget to upgrade your ESC as well, my HS came with an 18A ESC and that won't cut it for either of these motors.

Use a 6x4 prop with either of these and hang on

I got a 2212-06 motor from RCTimer.com about a year ago and am still using it on my Hawk Sky.
nkkromhof is offline Find More Posts by nkkromhof
Old Sep 13, 2011, 11:30 PM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2007
4,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakine48 View Post
UGLY but I'm flying and flying FAST!!Attachment 4273014
Nice job getting it going, but it looks like your fuselage has aged 100 years in the sun! Did you apply a solvent based paint or clear coat?
eagle777 is offline Find More Posts by eagle777
Old Sep 14, 2011, 03:09 PM
REAL old new guy!
United States, HI
Joined Jul 2011
491 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle777 View Post
Nice job getting it going, but it looks like your fuselage has aged 100 years in the sun! Did you apply a solvent based paint or clear coat?
'Nope the prop tore up the fuselage a bit and I filled the holes with Ace light weight spackle.
want to paint the wings to get a bit better contrast in the sky.

What's a good paint for this? Hopefully something that doesn't add too much weigh.

I used Black Rustoleum enamel for the underside.
RUST-OLEUM
PAINTERS TOUCH
ULTRA COVER
2X
GLOSS black
Drys in about 20 minutes.

No need worry about weight much as the V3 has plenty power. My plane is heavy as I have it loaded with carbon rods also. Use a 2200 lipo also.
Last edited by Dakine48; Sep 14, 2011 at 03:22 PM.