HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 05, 2012, 04:43 AM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,600 Posts
Honestly, I'm not having a go. 3Deee brought up some good points but they might be seen as lacking weight by his possible lack of experience. Why I tried to draw him out about it.
That said, for what the Uberlites are intended, they seem very interesting. Personally I like the lightness of actuators, but they do require careful handling. Conversely, I dislike magnetic battery connectors because they have to be kept scrupulously clean to work properly.
For gentle cruising these models look great, but I doubt they were ever intended to be aerobatic to any great extent. Trying to fly them in the same way as a model that is aerobatic is an exercise in frustration - and buying costly spares. You just have to accept them for what they are and enjoy flying them in the way they were intended to be flown.
From experience (that word again) with Plantraco gear I wouldn't be in the least surprised to hear that the intermitent control and poor range some have experienced are due to nothing more than dirty contacts. Similarly, handling actuators can be a practice fraught with risk of breaking the very fine wires involved - been there, done that, didn't like it much. You just need to know these things before buying an Uberlite, or complaining if they behave like they do. Only experience can teach such things, which brings us back to my trying to find out how much experience 3Deee had. You don't get to be an old(ish), stagnating dinosaur without picking up useful knowledge along the way.

Pete
PETERRAKE is offline Find More Posts by PETERRAKE
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 05, 2012, 09:50 AM
United States, TX
Joined Jun 2011
2,262 Posts
I never thought about cleaning the connectors on the Uberlite to see if it'll improve its horrible range. I will try that. I had concluded by flying them that the range seems to be best when the battery is freshly and fully charged, and the range degrades pretty fast after that. It always seems like my best flights are with a fresh battery. And when I do have good control for the first few flights, it is a blast to fly it up and down the street and around my neighbor's tree (as long as it doesn't get stuck up there).

I will try cleaning the contacts too. Couldn't hurt.

The airframes of these planes aren't very strong, but I'd really like to try building my own wings for them and see how they work...sometime when they're so busted up that they can't be repaired anymore.
builderdude is offline Find More Posts by builderdude
Old Jan 06, 2013, 10:47 PM
Joined Dec 2012
308 Posts
Well, I can state straight out that I don't have a lot of experience.

It turned winter recently - wind, snow, not great conditions for a noob to fly in. So I got a present for myself - a pair of Uberlite's the LHS was remaindering. Okay, maybe I would have preferred a Night Vapor, or a Carbon Butterfly. Maybe the Uberlite is not the greatest indoor plane ever built. I don't know. I do know one thing.

I'm having fun.

I have some problems with the rudder actuator losing connection to the receiver. This seems to show up after the plane experiences an unplanned high angle high velocity parking maneuver. I have a pair of fine fiddly needle nose pliers and I wiggle the little plug for that actuator and it works again. I am afraid that someday I might have to learn how to solder wires that are as fine as a capillary, but I'm sure somebody will give me hints and I'll manage. Or not.

What I want to do is take this with me the next time I stay at the Palmer House in Chicago. Can you imagine flying one of these in this setting? This will possibly strain their hospitality, and I'll see just how far my Hilton Honors membership gets me.

Ad Astra
Ad_Astra is offline Find More Posts by Ad_Astra
Old Jan 07, 2013, 12:30 PM
United States, TX
Joined Jun 2011
2,262 Posts
Yeah it would fly real good in there. Or in a gymnasium. The receiver reception is reportedly spotty on this airplane. Some seem better and some seem worse. Mine can't get further than about 40 or 50 feet away from me before it no longer receives my signal. Not a very powerful radio system. So by all means keep flights immediately local and don't get too far away.
Old Jan 07, 2013, 12:30 PM
United States, TX
Joined Jun 2011
2,262 Posts
...And have your glue ready for repairs. They are extremely fragile.
Old Jan 07, 2013, 06:08 PM
Joined Dec 2012
308 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by builderdude View Post
...And have your glue ready for repairs. They are extremely fragile.
Funny you should mention that...

One corner of the plastic wing covering has come loose, and I need to tack it back down. Also, one of the fragile foam structural members on the elevator (not the CF rods) has broken. What glue should I use? Same glue for both jobs? I have foam safe CA, but I was wondering if a spray adhesive like 3M might not work better for the resticking of the plastic "fabric".

This is a strange hobby - I haven't used duct tape yet.

Ad Astra, with a lot of glue repairs.
Old Jan 07, 2013, 07:53 PM
IT MUST HAVE AILERONS
Joined Oct 2011
63 Posts
Ad Astra,
Use foam safe CA and apply the kicker quickly with a Q-Tip, and leave it for about a half hour. Applying 3M spray adhesive has no precision and will add unnecessary weight. If the mylar is removed from a large area of the foam frame, use tiny pieces of clear scotch tape on the underside (and even around the edge if needed) to re-attach it. If the mylar is only removed from a small area of the frame, I wouldn't even bother trying to reattach it.
3Deee is offline Find More Posts by 3Deee
Old Feb 07, 2013, 12:45 PM
Young Poor and Fun
Joined Sep 2012
99 Posts
Aculator not working

I love flying this plane!
Unfortunately after an unplanned multistage landing. the wire to the rudder's adulator broke. I've not been able to get it to respond when holding the wire together or holding a copper speaker wire thread over the gap. I'm guessing I'm going to have to solder this for a connection like that to work at 3.7V?

Has anyone soldered these wires before? Do you have any advice?
Y.P.F. is offline Find More Posts by Y.P.F.
Old Feb 07, 2013, 12:55 PM
Joined Dec 2012
308 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Y.P.F. View Post
I love flying this plane!
Unfortunately after an unplanned multistage landing. the wire to the rudder's adulator broke. I've not been able to get it to respond when holding the wire together or holding a copper speaker wire thread over the gap. I'm guessing I'm going to have to solder this for a connection like that to work at 3.7V?

Has anyone soldered these wires before? Do you have any advice?
I haven't soldered these wires together, but I have worked with similarly small wires. They are a PITA.

First you have to strip them. I used to strip really fine magnet wire like this using a very tiny little butane torch. Just QUICKLY passing the torch over the wire so that 1 or 2 mm of the end glowed red hot was enough to carbonize the coating. I then had some 2000 grit sandpaper that I'd use to buff up those little ends to clean off the carbonized coating and any oxides. Then I'd use a 15 watt soldering iron to tin each each with solder. Finally I would bring the two tinned ends together for a little overlap, and heat them briefly with the soldering iron. I used fingernail polish as an insulating coat since heat shrink was way too huge.

My uberlite suffers from intermittent connections on the rudder plug. If you solder it together and the rudder still doesn't work, try jiggling the plug a bit.

Yeah, they are great airplanes to fly. It's sad they stopped making them. I'm thinking of buying a second set to have spares for the first set.

Ad Astra, with really small rockets.
Dan
Old Feb 07, 2013, 12:56 PM
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Nov 2012
99 Posts
Y.P.F here you go
Nano 0.040 wire solder to connector- Uberlite.mp4 (5 min 51 sec)
59er9er is offline Find More Posts by 59er9er
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Lunch time fun
Old Feb 07, 2013, 12:59 PM
IT MUST HAVE AILERONS
Joined Oct 2011
63 Posts
Hello Y.P.F,

Even though the fine actuator wires look like bare wire, they are not. They have a thin clear coat that needs to be scraped off before soldering. After soldering you will have to re-insulate the repair area to prevent shorting. Nail polish or clear Scotch tape are the simplest that come to mind.
3Deee is offline Find More Posts by 3Deee
Old Mar 06, 2013, 11:48 PM
Joined Apr 2005
20 Posts
My Uberlite will bind, but then it becomes unbound and then alternates between being bound and unbound. Any ideas to correct? The wires from the receiver to the actuators are not insulated and could be touching. Is this a problem? Thanks
siginden is offline Find More Posts by siginden
Old Mar 07, 2013, 12:05 AM
United States, TX
Joined Jun 2011
2,262 Posts
I have noticed severe receiver problems with this airplane. If I fly it beyond about 40 ft away, it looses receiver lock and is out of control.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 04:06 PM
umop apisdn - downside up
United States, MI, West Bloomfield Township
Joined Sep 2012
793 Posts
Cheap Cheap Überlites in SE Michigan

Hi

I went by Larry's Performance RC in Sterling Heights the other day and noticed a large stack of Überlites for around $35. Maybe I shouldn't tell you guys because I want to pick one up, but I have to wait until the wife has gotten over the shock of me just buying a new V912 helicopter (which is on the slow boat somewhere between China and Michigan.)

If I have problems with the radio, I will replace it with a helicopter receiver brick with a dead gyro from a V911 which had a head on collision with a treetrunk.

Owen
nagromnewo is offline Find More Posts by nagromnewo
Old Mar 21, 2013, 04:55 PM
United States, OH, Strongsville
Joined Nov 2000
2,696 Posts
The trees MOVE! I swear they do!
I saw one reach right out and swat down a plane that was a good 10 feet clear of the tree.
Vince Herman is offline Find More Posts by Vince Herman