to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 23, 2012, 11:48 PM
IT MUST HAVE AILERONS
Joined Oct 2011
63 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtbreeder View Post
This is 4 channel, correct?
It's 3 channel including the flying wing.

Many aileron and elevon designs fly well without having an active rudder.
Taxiing is not an issue because indoors you all but land at your feet or catch it, and outdoors if you are flying over grass of any kind
taxiing is a moot point with these tiny planes. Some exciting designs can be made just using the 3 channel Night Vapor brick, and a computer radio is not necessarily needed depending on how one sets up the ailerons. Elevons, however will need a transmitter with at least a mixing function.
3Deee is offline Find More Posts by 3Deee
Last edited by 3Deee; Nov 23, 2012 at 11:55 PM.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 06:57 PM
raleigh, NC usa
Joined Aug 2001
1,954 Posts
first impression and then some

Hey all
Been flying and building (crashing) electric for over 30 years so my perspective is a little different than most buying this setup.
I picked these up two months ago on ebay for 50 bucks, mine was the V2 so many of the "issues" brought up in the review were fixed with the latest version, there is a rod between the gear to hold them solid in landing, the gears seem a little more solid and the stick of the battery to the frame seems pretty good in light of several tumultuous landings and two lofts in the trees in front of my house
I have found the flight time to be respectfully 12 minutes with heavy throttle use and basic "stunts" or 20 minutes of gentle flying. There is no warning when the battery is low - it just does so do not plan on having or hearing the throttle surge or the controls to work once the motor cuts out - planning is paramount so you do not loose your model.
The bipe is quicker than the monoplane and needs a very firm use of the rudder where the mono just seems to be happy with whatever you give it. It is incredibly docile as much so as any other plane similar. it is not a vapor or an ember, it should not be compared because it is in a completely different class - comparing it to the plantraco airplanes would be more reasonable and in comparison to them it a little more durable. A vapor is much larger and heavier and thus more durable for the beginner.
The airplane does incredible touch and goes and the fit and finish of the models is the best I have ever seen from GP.
I have not been gentle with mine flying it outside as my LED Sony is still recovering from my heli flying hit. The flight envelope is pretty wide and the airplane can be lauched and recevered by hand and in fact landed ON the hand if you are brave enough.
I have beaten mine up with several prop strikes and botched landings and have not damaged the prop yet - but I know I will - - it is an airplane and it will break - it is inevitable and it will run you 10 bucks.
I have flown mine almost every evening and early morning where there is little or no breeze and have had no issue with it. I have also flown the bipe in 7 mph gusty or variable winds and had my clock cleaned, landed safely but it was exciting.
I am using the stock TX and it runs fine, a computer radio with an airframe this simple is just overkill, you do not need dual rates, digital trim or any tricks and it works perfectly the way it is.
The board with all of the radio circutry is about the size of a postage stamp and the "servos" are proportional and strong for this type of model, they are also very durable based on my early abuse trying to get the pushrod magnets to line up.
I am completely happy with mine, I bought another set as a replacement battery, extra charger and prop is 30 bucks - for 9 bucks more I got an entire new set and will use the hardware in another project once the first one wears out.
I have been buying from Tower for years and have found most of their E stuff to be crap... this is the first airplane I have bought from them in 25 years that I can say I am satisfied with completely.
Phil
pval3 is offline Find More Posts by pval3
Old Nov 25, 2012, 10:27 AM
United States, TX
Joined Jun 2011
2,959 Posts
That is a nice review.
I like flying mine right in my own front yard when I am too lazy to get out my big planes and go flying off in a field somewhere. Sometimes you just want to be home, and these are good planes to enjoy for that benefit.

I do wish mine had a better range. I don't have any idea if mines V2 or not. But unless I keep my battery charged up, it doesn't seem that my range is very good at all. And you are enjoying far better flight times than I am. So perhaps mine are not the improved version.
builderdude is offline Find More Posts by builderdude
Old Nov 28, 2012, 04:26 PM
RC electric
Joined Aug 2012
1 Posts
these are low power inside planes that are 1/100th the power of our outside planes. Fly them within their designed specs and stop wanting more than they will ever deliver. We had a fun gym fly last night , 7 Nite Vapors in the air at the same time and we turned the lights out. It looked great to see slow flying planes and even the first timers kept them in the air. We are just trying to get a fix since the field is -5c in temps with a skim of snow on it
RC ELECTRIC is offline Find More Posts by RC ELECTRIC
Old Nov 28, 2012, 05:49 PM
IT MUST HAVE AILERONS
Joined Oct 2011
63 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pval3 View Post
Hey all

I picked these up two months ago on ebay for 50 bucks, mine was the V2 so many of the "issues" brought up in the review were fixed with the latest version, there is a rod between the gear to hold them solid in landing,

I have beaten mine up with several prop strikes and botched landings and have not damaged the prop yet - but I know I will - - it is an airplane and it will break - it is inevitable and it will run you 10 bucks.

I am using the stock TX and it runs fine, a computer radio with an airframe this simple is just overkill, you do not need dual rates, digital trim or any tricks and it works perfectly the way it is.

I have been buying from Tower for years and have found most of their E stuff to be crap... this is the first airplane I have bought from them in 25 years that I can say I am satisfied with completely.
Phil
I was unaware there was a V2, also I believe the brace was there on the "V1" version. I have had mine for about a year and it has the brace on the landing gear.

If you would rather spend 10 bucks on a delicate prop, have at it. The Night Vapor prop works well with a bit more pitch twisted into it, costs 3 bucks, and is very durable.

If you like the stock TX, I'm happy for you, but unless you have tried a better TX with any of these little planes this comment should be left out of the conversation.
30 years flying should have given you the experience to know that transmitter performance can vary greatly. Even the stock transmitter that comes with the RTF Night Vapor is a far cry from the "controller" that comes with the Uberlites.

Have you tried dual rates with any of these little planes? Due to the aerodynamic Reynolds numbers common to all tiny models, even the smallest input or adjustment can make a huge difference in how the plane flies. Even the Night Vapor's maneuverability changes dramatically when the rates are changed.

Tower Hobbies E-stuff crap? Hello? If you find your Uberlites to be best thing you've bought from them over 25 years, you have my profound sympathy.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 06:09 PM
IT MUST HAVE AILERONS
Joined Oct 2011
63 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC ELECTRIC View Post
these are low power inside planes that are 1/100th the power of our outside planes. Fly them within their designed specs and stop wanting more than they will ever deliver.
If you enjoy flying your indoor planes "stock", thats just fine. These little planes often will deliver considerably more performance than out of the box. How do you know they won't deliver more than their designed specs? Have you tried? You appear to be calling my findings untrue when I say I am getting far better performance with my Uberlites with the aforementioned mods.

I'm glad the guys at the national air races in Reno don't have this attitude, or else the average course speed would still be around 350mph instead of 500mph for the unlimited class. For that matter, maybe flight would not even be invented yet.

Half the fun with these little planes is hopping them up, as the financial outlay is so small, one can afford to try things "not within the designed specs".
Old Dec 03, 2012, 03:51 PM
United States, WI, Antigo
Joined Sep 2012
41 Posts
bye bye Uberlites they are no longer made
fishmanpuffer is offline Find More Posts by fishmanpuffer
Old Dec 03, 2012, 03:56 PM
United States, WI, Antigo
Joined Sep 2012
41 Posts
I was told by flyzone that had poor sales and they are no longer made
fishmanpuffer is offline Find More Posts by fishmanpuffer
Old Dec 03, 2012, 04:29 PM
United States, TX
Joined Jun 2011
2,959 Posts
They are totally cool. Problem is, quality is a little spotty.
Old Dec 03, 2012, 04:42 PM
IT MUST HAVE AILERONS
Joined Oct 2011
63 Posts
There are could possibly be local hobby shops across North America that still have these in stock, or maybe even some on-line ones.
Old Dec 03, 2012, 08:10 PM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,790 Posts
3Deee,
I'm curious about you. How long have you been flying and what types of model have you flown? I ask because every time someone quotes experience you slate what they say and claim to know better. If you really have that much experience then fine, slate away to your heart's content. However, if your only micro experience is a Nite Vapor and Uberlites (you make no mention of having flown anything else, but obviously have spares from other models) maybe listening to experience wouldn't be an altogether bad thing. It might not agree with what you think, but perhaps there's a reason for that.
Please don't get me wrong, I'm not having a dig, just interested to know. Yes, I have been at this electric flight lark for some years, but won't say that because of that I must be right. Similarly, I won't say that I know better because I fly 'real' models. Actually, I don't, I gave up reasonably large (compared to micro's) models some time ago. I got fed up with oil and mess and prefered the challenge that electrics offered. That would be about 20 years ago, when THE power source to have was Ni-Cads and micro models were still a pipedream, and I've flown nothing but electrics since then. Fairly small models because I like fairly small models.

Pete
PETERRAKE is offline Find More Posts by PETERRAKE
Old Dec 03, 2012, 11:37 PM
IT MUST HAVE AILERONS
Joined Oct 2011
63 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PETERRAKE View Post
3Deee,
I'm curious about you. How long have you been flying and what types of model have you flown? I ask because every time someone quotes experience you slate what they say and claim to know better.
Pete
Pete,
Sorry, I'm not showing my ticket - it means little. It's what you do with those years that count. Stagnate or move on with the times.

If the Uberlites were the only R/C planes I had ever owned, but concentrated on nothing else, I could possibly become an authority on that model, and my opinions, suggestions, and mods maybe worth trying. I have brought out the weaknesses of the Uberlites, and offered a way to fix them and make them great little planes IMO. If people want to refute what I say, let them. If I want to quote them, let me.
Old Dec 04, 2012, 05:32 AM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,790 Posts
The arrogance of youth speaking? I was hoping your reply might dispel that impression.
Just reading through your other posts it seems you have yet to learn that the idea of flying models is actually to not crash them. You needed to replace your NV gearbox after an 'arrival' and all but terminated your Uberlite gear in a similar manner. Is that what you meant by " move on with the times"? Damage one model and learn how to fix it before damaging the next? Sounds like the typical route a novice flier takes, but you can't be THAT young and inexperienced.
Once again, I'm not sniping, just hoping to prompt the info you seem reluctant to divulge. I just find your "It must have ailerons" comment strange when the only models you discuss don't have them. It leads me to believe you've flown other types. Explaining that would lend weight to your observations.

Pete
PETERRAKE is offline Find More Posts by PETERRAKE
Old Dec 04, 2012, 10:41 AM
United States, TX
Joined Jun 2011
2,959 Posts
Okay fellas, knock it off.
Personally, I prefer ailerons too, and I also wish the receiver on the Uberlites worked a little better. It doesn't piss me off that someone experimented and found a better way to do something. Good for him.

Somehow, the concept of "To each their own", seems to get lost in all the bickering on this site.