HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 17, 2011, 08:59 AM
Oak Ridge, NC
Joined Jun 2006
1,431 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by samson55 View Post
These were recalled at my local LHS with no word why. Anyone know?
There was no recall, however some of the units from the first shipment had quality issues and a few dealers were asked to exchange them.
CSpaced is offline Find More Posts by CSpaced
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 17, 2011, 03:23 PM
Effumall
Joined Nov 2005
3,619 Posts
My mag actuators hang up, and you have to bang the stick over sometimes to recenter them. From past experience, this isn't an unknown issue with mag actuators.

I'm half considering swapping in a PZ brick...
kelberts is offline Find More Posts by kelberts
Old Oct 17, 2011, 04:02 PM
Joined Mar 2006
177 Posts
I was told that all of the hobbytown usa stores have sent them back but no one knows why
tom
chem teacher2 is offline Find More Posts by chem teacher2
Old Oct 17, 2011, 04:07 PM
Oak Ridge, NC
Joined Jun 2006
1,431 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSpaced View Post
There was no recall, however some of the units from the first shipment had quality issues and a few dealers were asked to exchange them.
This info was directly from Hobbico/Flyzone.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 19, 2011, 02:22 AM
IT MUST HAVE AILERONS
Joined Oct 2011
63 Posts
Good, they should go back! Here is a further update of my continued adventure with the Uberlites.

1) After a crash when the battery parted company with the plane, I had originally thought the battery was dead when I re-attached it to the receiver, but it wasn't dead, it was the contacts - they would not re-connect properly to the receiver without jiggling them around.

2) Although the monoplane flies beautifully, it's box mate, the bi-plane flies horribly. It is tail heavy and hangs on it's prop until it sinks to the floor.

3) One of the tiny magnets that attaches the two halves of the control rods together keeps coming out of it's socket.

I sent a copy of my review to Hobbico, but never heard back.
What irritates me most are the "glowing" reviews these planes are getting by "professional" reviewers and those that no doubt have a financial interest in the Uberlites.
3Deee is offline Find More Posts by 3Deee
Old Oct 19, 2011, 07:45 AM
Oak Ridge, NC
Joined Jun 2006
1,431 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Deee View Post

I sent a copy of my review to Hobbico, but never heard back.
What irritates me most are the "glowing" reviews these planes are getting by "professional" reviewers and those that no doubt have a financial interest in the Uberlites.
I resent that last remark. I don't have "financial" interest in Uberlites as you put it. I put a lot of time and effort in to my reviews, and try to show my personal and honest opinion. I'm sorry that you are having problems, it would appear that your experience is obviously different from mine.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 19, 2011, 03:03 PM
urs
switzerland
Joined Dec 2000
708 Posts
<<) One of the tiny magnets that attaches the two halves of the control rods together keeps coming out of it's socket. <<<

why not use a dab of super glue problem solved...I have about 40 flights with my 2 models with no problems...I do fly in a large wind protected shed and much enjoy the flying..
urs
urs is offline Find More Posts by urs
Old Oct 19, 2011, 06:47 PM
IT MUST HAVE AILERONS
Joined Oct 2011
63 Posts
Hello CSpaced,

If you will re-read my comment about reviewers, I did not say all reviewers, nor did I mention your name let alone say you had financial interest in the products you test. Also, this is a forum, and we are entitled to our opinion, even if others disagree, as long as we follow the rules, which I have.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 07:19 PM
IT MUST HAVE AILERONS
Joined Oct 2011
63 Posts
Thanks for the super glue idea which I am well aware of. In my comments I was mentioning problems, not solutions. After almost every flying session with the Uberlites, I have to come up with some "solution" to keep them in the air. One was replacing the broken $11.00 Uberlite prop with a $3.00 Night Vapor prop which works quite well. Perhaps your Uberlites are from a different batch. If Hobbico is recalling some or all of the Uberlites, then my problem is not isolated. It would also pay a person to obtian a Night Vapor to get a perspective as to how inferior the Uberlites are. Here are some comparisons:
1) The Night Vapor is more rebust. The Uberlites come apart quite easy on hard landings.
2) The Night Vapor receiver can be bound to a high quality Spekrum transmitter-no need to buy the RTF version . The Uberlites (to my knowledge) are bound to their own transmitter and one can't bind a better transmitter to them.
3) The receiver brick on the Night Vapor can be used in other planes easier than the Uberlites receiver/actuator setup can.
4) The night Vapor uses universal batteries which are very inexpensive. The Uberlites look like theirs is proprietary.
5) If the difference in prop prices is any indicator, then Uberlites parts could be more expensive than Night Vapor parts.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 08:26 PM
Oak Ridge, NC
Joined Jun 2006
1,431 Posts
Quote:
Lets see, you posted this comment in a thread that was started with a review of said product by me.... no need to re-read anything.

Quote:
Hello CSpaced,

If you will re-read my comment about reviewers, I did not say all reviewers, nor did I mention your name let alone say you had financial interest in the products you test. Also, this is a forum, and we are entitled to our opinion, even if others disagree, as long as we follow the rules, which I have.
My opinion is that maybe next time you should be more specific instead of generalising all "glowing" reviews. That said, I'm glad you weren't referring to my article.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 19, 2011, 08:28 PM
Oak Ridge, NC
Joined Jun 2006
1,431 Posts
Quote:
If Hobbico is recalling some or all of the Uberlites, then my problem is not isolated.
Hobbico replaced only some, not all.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 19, 2011, 09:13 PM
Aerobatic Fanatic
United States, KY, Louisville
Joined Sep 2007
2,886 Posts
Your review is great and very well done.

But its still wrong hobbico choose to ask only LHS's to send back the first batch if they wanted to and no official recall for the customers directly.

If no recall then there should be some kind of product bulletin to guide owners what to look out for. Then if they have one with problems, then should be able to mail it back for a new one istead of owners wondering why there is something wrong.
HugoCraft is offline Find More Posts by HugoCraft
Old Oct 19, 2011, 10:01 PM
Oak Ridge, NC
Joined Jun 2006
1,431 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hugocraft View Post
Your review is great and very well done.

But its still wrong hobbico choose to ask only LHS's to send back the first batch if they wanted to and no official recall for the customers directly.

If no recall then there should be some kind of product bulletin to guide owners what to look out for. Then if they have one with problems, then should be able to mail it back for a new one istead of owners wondering why there is something wrong.
Thanks for the kind words.

I only know what Hobbico told me directly, that there was no recall and that only some of the units were asked to be returned. I guess they're not calling it a recall because it doesn't affect all of the units, just a few that had quality control issues.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 20, 2011, 01:30 AM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Between my tx and crashed aircraft
Joined Mar 2006
3,792 Posts
Quote:
...What irritates me most are the "glowing" reviews these planes are getting by "professional" reviewers ...
From what I have seen, reviews typically have a positive overall tone (all models are good under certain conditions, I guess).
That said, even many of the reviews with a positive overall tone will contain warnings of shortcomings, some shortcomings serious enough that many people should not be buying that product.
One of the first reviews that I read (on a coaxial helicopter) had a positive overall tone, but mentioned that it was a "delicate flower" that did not like hard landings, etc. In other words, for a beginner, who will tend not to be so delicate in flying, this would not be the right helicopter.
flying-llama is offline Find More Posts by flying-llama
Old Oct 20, 2011, 01:40 AM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Between my tx and crashed aircraft
Joined Mar 2006
3,792 Posts
Quote:
... It would also pay a person to obtian a Night Vapor to get a perspective as to how inferior the Uberlites are. Here are some comparisons:....
One thing that Uberlites has that the Night Vapor does not have: a wing airframe with elevons. The latter lets me do a (a bit sloppy) split-S (1/2 roll, 1/2 loop) with an Uberlite.
flying-llama is offline Find More Posts by flying-llama