SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 09, 2011, 09:19 AM
Joined Sep 2011
57 Posts
Discussion
JR 9303 with upgraded 2.4ghz module?

Someone I know is selling a JR 9303 radio for $125. He said that it's a few years old and originally it was fm. He upgraded the module to 2.4ghz recently. Does anyone for see this being an issue? Is the price good? I want to get this so I can fly a quadrocopter and do some rc simulators.
Thanks for your reply in advance
kickythekick is offline Find More Posts by kickythekick
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 09, 2011, 10:28 AM
Where is the lift?
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Nov 2005
6,400 Posts
I really like the 9303 but I would not use a DSM2 module except for bind-n-fly toys... For real models I would consider a DSMX (if there is such a thing yet), FASST or Hitec module for JR radios. Just make sure that the transmitter is not worn out.

Charlie
cptsnoopy is offline Find More Posts by cptsnoopy
Old Sep 09, 2011, 03:19 PM
Joined Sep 2011
57 Posts
Thanks for the reply,
so are you saying I should buy it and then change the module to something else? how much do those run for?
Old Sep 09, 2011, 07:12 PM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,505 Posts
The only Spektrum module is DSM2 and I would not expect to see a DSMX module released. But that need not stop you.

The JR XP9303 is a great transmitter that works very well on the regular DSM2 module (I have one set up that way). I would jump at one for $125.

If you stay with Spektrum you have a huge array of receivers to choose from, as well as the $5-6 clones (from Hobby King). DSMX receivers are fully compatible with DSM2 transmitters.

The XP9303 also opens the way to alternative RC systems, one of the best being FrSky, available from Hobby King. It has a very good reputation. As I recall the module is about $30 and receivers are available for about $20. A telemetry version is available. I've flown FrSky with good results.

I also have a Fly Dream module in a JR transmitter and it has worked very well. T has the advantage of a US dealer who is very quick and helpful.
RC-modules.com
Daedalus66 is offline Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Sep 09, 2011, 08:22 PM
Joined Sep 2011
57 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus66 View Post
The only Spektrum module is DSM2 and I would not expect to see a DSMX module released. But that need not stop you.

The JR XP9303 is a great transmitter that works very well on the regular DSM2 module (I have one set up that way). I would jump at one for $125.

If you stay with Spektrum you have a huge array of receivers to choose from, as well as the $5-6 clones (from Hobby King). DSMX receivers are fully compatible with DSM2 transmitters.

The XP9303 also opens the way to alternative RC systems, one of the best being FrSky, available from Hobby King. It has a very good reputation. As I recall the module is about $30 and receivers are available for about $20. A telemetry version is available. I've flown FrSky with good results.

I also have a Fly Dream module in a JR transmitter and it has worked very well. T has the advantage of a US dealer who is very quick and helpful.
RC-modules.com
That's all great info. I just wanted to be sure it was a good purchase . The 9303 allows for 20 presets right?
Old Sep 09, 2011, 11:26 PM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,505 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kickythekick View Post
That's all great info. I just wanted to be sure it was a good purchase . The 9303 allows for 20 presets right?
9 channels
30 memories
3 modes (ACRO, GLID, HELI)
= 9303
Old Sep 09, 2011, 11:33 PM
Joined Sep 2011
57 Posts
That's all I could ever hope for
Old Sep 10, 2011, 01:04 AM
most exalted one
United States, CA, Hemet
Joined Aug 2002
3,570 Posts
great deal!
4*60 is offline Find More Posts by 4*60
Old Sep 12, 2011, 11:35 PM
TAFTS
Chandler, AZ
Joined Apr 2008
320 Posts
I have a 9X that I have been flying with an original Spektrum module since they came out. The 9X (interprets to 9203) was given to me before Horizon officially had the 9303. Its the same with some minor software differences and electronic trim instead of mechanical. I have hundreds of flights on it in giant scale, helis, and ducted fans. I have NEVER had so much as a glitch.

I would trust it in anything!

Scott
Scott Todd is offline Find More Posts by Scott Todd
Old Sep 13, 2011, 12:07 AM
Where is the lift?
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Nov 2005
6,400 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Todd View Post
I have NEVER had so much as a glitch.

I would trust it in anything!

Scott
I would too if I never had so much as a glitch. Just curious how you modified the original module for an internal antenna. some cutting or drilling required?

Charlie
cptsnoopy is offline Find More Posts by cptsnoopy
Old Sep 13, 2011, 12:35 AM
TAFTS
Chandler, AZ
Joined Apr 2008
320 Posts
I just drilled two holes. One in the top of the module case, and a corresponding one in the radio back. The antenna is actually one from a Spektrum RTF radio (the blue ones that come with blade helis and such). It can be found just searching the horizon website under 'antenna' I think it was about 8 bucks. The local shop used to stock them.

I routed the wire through the radio into the module and plugged it in. Carefully reassemble and voila!

I have done about 15 of them including Futaba's. Let me know if anyone wants help

The conversion really got popular when they re-priced them making the module $10 with a receiver purchase. I think I gave anyone interested the $10 discount so the module was free. It also allowed many non-spektrum fliers to use an older transmitter to fly BNF stuff. I did a Graupner, a Multiplex, an Ace Micropro, several Futabe 9C's a few Futaba 8U's and several JR 9's.

They all worked great!

Scott
Scott Todd is offline Find More Posts by Scott Todd
Old Sep 13, 2011, 03:06 PM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,505 Posts
The original module was a bit of a pain with a big connector sticking out the back and a wire up to the antenna. I intended to run the wire internally as you mention, but about that time they came out with a much improved case that incorporates the antenna in a good location. They sent me a free case, and I've used it ever since. Very good arrangement and no transmitter modification needed.
Old Sep 13, 2011, 11:59 PM
Joined Sep 2011
57 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus66 View Post
The original module was a bit of a pain with a big connector sticking out the back and a wire up to the antenna. I intended to run the wire internally as you mention, but about that time they came out with a much improved case that incorporates the antenna in a good location. They sent me a free case, and I've used it ever since. Very good arrangement and no transmitter modification needed.
How did you get the free case?

I bought it and I love it! Although it has the ugly wire coming out of it .

I had a question about programming. I am used to flying one of my planes on a low rate. The spectrum I had before allowed me to flip a switch between high and low. Can anyone tell me how to do that with the 9303?
Old Sep 14, 2011, 09:14 AM
Quincy IL
Joined Jul 2006
512 Posts
Horizon has the free replacement module case. They made this change to the module because there was a problem with the fit in the TX pocket with the first version which caused intermittent loss of RF.

Call Horizon and tell them your module is loose in the TX and you have heard their is a replacement case available.

The case is also for sale as SPM6817 "integrated module case" at $6.50
Hugh P is offline Find More Posts by Hugh P
Old Sep 14, 2011, 09:19 AM
Joined Sep 2011
57 Posts
Great thanks!