HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Sep 09, 2011, 04:15 AM
Joined Dec 2009
112 Posts
Trader Rating: 8
Discussion
Alert: Be careful with finshlinerc, or Larry Tucker of Santee, California.

So, we, i and finshlinerc, struck a deal on some Magnum engines. I ask for his Paypal address, and he responds with his mailing address to send a check to, stating he "doesn't do Paypal" and that Paypal is the "issue."

Given the following thread, in which he noted that "Paypal is the only way to get the deal.." and even provides his Paypal address, i state that i will only complete the deal via Paypal; and if he can't, i would like to withdraw.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1376194

He quickly provided me his Paypal address, same as the one in the above thread. I felt uncomfortable with his dishonesty and withdrew my offer to purchase the engines.

He has left me negative feedback, but i would like to warn others to be careful when dealing with this fellow.

Addendum: finshlinerc has removed the negative feedback. However, his tendency to use threats is disturbing.
flyer368 is offline Find More Posts by flyer368
Last edited by flyer368; Sep 10, 2011 at 03:19 PM. Reason: addendum
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 09, 2011, 05:03 AM
Test Pilot, Stand Clear
USA, OH, Mt Vernon
Joined Mar 2007
1,370 Posts
Trader Rating: 40
Sounds like finishline is having a bad week. Whats up finishline? You get in a jam, then take it out on others. Not good!
eatmydirt is offline Find More Posts by eatmydirt
Old Sep 09, 2011, 05:31 AM
St. Croix, US Virgin Islands
Joined Oct 2003
567 Posts
Trader Rating: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatmydirt View Post
Sounds like finishline is having a bad week. Whats up finishline? You get in a jam, then take it out on others. Not good!
I read that feedback; unwarrented. I have changed my mind numerous times on deals here and no one ever left me negative feedback.
A potential buyer has every right to withdraw from a deal as long as money hasn't been exchanged, and shouldn't be penalized for it wi th negative feedback. "Take it out on others" seems to be appropriate. If finishline was a gentleman he would withdraw that feedback and GROW UP.
viflyer is offline Find More Posts by viflyer
Last edited by viflyer; Sep 09, 2011 at 05:38 AM.
Old Sep 09, 2011, 05:42 AM
"JUST FLY"
USA, GA, Butler
Joined Jun 2010
328 Posts
Trader Rating: 150
How can he leave feedback when the deal was never actually done I dont blame you a bit I would have withdrawn my offer to in that situation.
EDFPILOT is online now Find More Posts by EDFPILOT
Old Sep 09, 2011, 09:36 AM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2011
175 Posts
Trader Rating: 32
You didn't strike deal as the payment terms were not agreed upon. The thread you referenced is 9 months old; the seller can change his payment terms as long as he is up front about it. No one is required to use paypal. On the other hand, you can back out of a deal if any part of it isn't to your terms also. It seems there is confusion as to exactly when the deal becomes "done". Until all details are worked out and agreed on, it isn't, and either party can back out.
SLOPERDUDE is offline Find More Posts by SLOPERDUDE
Old Sep 09, 2011, 09:40 AM
Joined Oct 2010
36 Posts
Trader Rating: 11
Gentlemen, a deal was negotiated, the item was marked sold, i told many other buyers that all seven engines were sold. Flyer 368 never asked if i would take paypal, he states he assumed i would. His final post to me was take paypal or i will withdraw my offer, so i provided him with what he wanted. I never told him i did not have paypal, just that i preffered other forms of payment. I told him i would work with him in whatever way to finish the deal. So now i have to relist the engines. Where i come from you do what you say you are going to do, you don't back out at the last minute without good reason. If paypal is so bitchen and secure, what is he worried about?

Finishlinerc
finshlinerc is offline Find More Posts by finshlinerc
Old Sep 09, 2011, 09:53 AM
Joined Oct 2010
36 Posts
I just now read and reread flyer 368's post 2 things should be noted, 1. Its up to me what form of payment i will accept. When i sold those other engines a long time ago, i had no problem with paypal, between now and then, i ve had some problems with paypal and choose not to use them. 2. As he states in his post, he will only do the deal via paypal, so i provide him with my account and then he backs out. Where is there any dishonesty in either of the 2 transactions? The guy that used paypal before got his engines and was happy. Nuff said, my review stands, if he wants it removed, buy the engines. I am ready to do what he requested.

Finishline rc
Old Sep 09, 2011, 11:11 AM
Joined May 2006
13 Posts
Trader Rating: 6
I just read the feedback and if you finshlinerc feel you should post feedback is one thing but to attack him by the, "all mouth no money" is improper dont personally attack someone stick to the facts.
Just yesterday I had a deal fall out where I had made a deal with a seller, but at the same time were talking about adding another item, the amount of the second item was not met and he responded that he sold the first item to another person as a package. I felt angry heck I was the first to say i'll take it and it was a good deal, I thought about negative feedback but I also thought this item belongs to him that I want to buy, no money changed hands, no promise to ship, item was not paid for etc. So the deal was not made at all.
For those that do not realize for a money order buy a postal money order and send it right then while you are there if something happens where the item is not sent the Feds will get involved, it is mail fraud. If you do Pay pal same thing if they get the money and you do not get the product, it is wire fraud still the Feds. How I know this is my daughter and the lawfirm she works for was just involved in a case where a person sold a item on ebay, it was paid for, money accepted, but he did not have the playstation he said he did, he was given 3 years for wire fraud.
All that is to say this, retract the feedback, talk to the buyer see if he wants to do it in smaller amounts (2 or 3 at a time) do the deal make someone feel comfortable with doing business. he is buying 7 motors from you that is a large step. If you want to sell them think about it.
slotcarracr is offline Find More Posts by slotcarracr
Last edited by slotcarracr; Sep 09, 2011 at 11:27 AM. Reason: inseting
Old Sep 09, 2011, 11:49 AM
Time for me to Fly...
United States, MI, Fenton
Joined Jan 2000
8,206 Posts
Trader Rating: 42
Personally I think negative feedback is for a few issues. First, you pay for something and never receive it. Second, you buy something that was misrepresented by the seller. Poor communication or very slow shipping is something that might trigger negative feedback too.

Backing out of deals happens. Does it cost the seller a little greif? You bet it does but remember, your dealing with someone you don't know nor have ever met. There is an aspect of trust that has to exist. The seller is holding all the cards. The seller ought to understand this. The seller, in my opinion has very little right to complain when a buyer backs out. They certainly shouldn't leave poor feedback. The seller hasn't lost anything other than a potential buyer. There are lots of other buyers out there.
Mr. Wiz is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Wiz
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Mr. Wiz; Sep 09, 2011 at 12:21 PM.
Old Sep 09, 2011, 12:14 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2011
175 Posts
Trader Rating: 32
Agree!

Well said, Mr. Wiz. The seller does hold the cards (or engines in this case). I think the element of electronic communication is less effective (and real-time) than face-to-face and things can get "crossed in the mail" if you get my drift. I will make a general statement- treat everyone you meet online as you are meeting them face-to-face. This forms the basis of trust in a more "old-school" way. I see a lot of rash, hasty online comments by people who I bet are much more rational and measured in person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wiz View Post
Personally I think negative feedback is for a few issues. First, you pay for something and never receive it. Second, you buy something that was misrepresented by the seller. Poor communication or very slow shipping.

Backing out of deals happens. Does it cost the seller a little greif? You bet it does but remember, your dealing with someone you don't know nor have ever met. There is an aspect of trust that has to exist. The seller is holding all the cards. The seller ought to understand this. The seller, in my opinion has very little right to complain when a buyer backs out. They certainly shouldn't leave poor feedback. The seller hasn't lost anything other than a potential buyer. There are lots of other buyers out there.
SLOPERDUDE is offline Find More Posts by SLOPERDUDE
Old Sep 09, 2011, 12:23 PM
Joined Dec 2009
112 Posts
Trader Rating: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by finshlinerc View Post
I just now read and reread flyer 368's post 2 things should be noted, 1. Its up to me what form of payment i will accept. When i sold those other engines a long time ago, i had no problem with paypal, between now and then, i ve had some problems with paypal and choose not to use them. 2. As he states in his post, he will only do the deal via paypal, so i provide him with my account and then he backs out. Where is there any dishonesty in either of the 2 transactions? The guy that used paypal before got his engines and was happy. Nuff said, my review stands, if he wants it removed, buy the engines. I am ready to do what he requested.

Finishline rc
Since Paypal is a convenient form of payment, for me, at least, i had even offered to pay your fees, in case you didn't want to accept it because of the fees. You still stated "Paypal is the issue," refusing to accept payment via it.

After i refused to deal without Paypal, you promptly provided me with your Paypal address and demanded an additional $5 to cover the fees. However, that ship had already sailed by then. I just felt uncomfortable with the way you were conducting yourself.
flyer368 is offline Find More Posts by flyer368
Old Sep 09, 2011, 12:30 PM
Time for me to Fly...
Joined Jan 2000
8,206 Posts
One of the things that can sometimes set people's mind at ease is to exchange phone numbers and then talk. You can usually tell if our dealing with an honest person just by the way they talk to you. Don't just call and say "Hi I'm the guy buying your stuff". Make a little small talk about the item and how it was used by the seller. If he seems genuine on the phone, then he probably is a trustworthy person. That's about the best advice I can give you. Of course, looking at the sellers trader rating before making any offer really helps too. Most people don't want to ruin their good trader ratings. If they don't have much or any feedback and you're nervous about that fact, don't make an offer to buy. I've let some pretty nice deals slide before, just for that reason. Usually it turns up as an unfounded precaution but sometimes it's better to feel safe than sorry.

All in all, I've been very fortunate. In all the years I've been here I've only had one bad deal and that occurred before the trader feedback system existed. By in large, RCG members are good people. That says a lot. It's a big part of why I use this site so much more than the others. Keep it civil guys and work it out. In the end, you'll be happy you did.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Some new engines some older
Old Sep 09, 2011, 12:33 PM
Time for me to Fly...
Joined Jan 2000
8,206 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyer368 View Post
Since Paypal is a convenient form of payment, for me, at least, i had even offered to pay your fees, in case you didn't want to accept it because of the fees. You still stated "Paypal is the issue," refusing to accept payment via it.

After i refused to deal without Paypal, you promptly provided me with your Paypal address and demanded an additional $5 to cover the fees. However, that ship had already sailed by then. I just felt uncomfortable with the way you were conducting yourself.
Seems like you guys ought to just shake hands "so-to-speak" and agree to go your separate ways. No real harm was done except a undeserved negative feedback. That ought to be removed or appealed, in my humble opinion.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Some new engines some older
Old Sep 09, 2011, 03:16 PM
Joined Oct 2010
36 Posts
Flyer 368 opened hie mouth and said do it my way or don't do it. So after spending all day going back and forth, i said ok we will do it your way. Here is my paypal acct. He offered to pay the fees and i accepted his offer and added 5.00 to the previously negotiated price. And i waited............. Then cal. Has a huge blackout and no power for all night. In the morning i get his response, he doesn't feel comfortable and backs out. Now i don't really need the money, but after spending almost all day negotiating the deal, i decided that doing it his way would get it done. So as i said all mouth, no money. Let rcgroups take it down after reading the entire thread if thats what they think is fair.

Finishlinerc
Last edited by finshlinerc; Sep 09, 2011 at 03:58 PM.
Old Sep 09, 2011, 03:25 PM
Time for me to Fly...
Joined Jan 2000
8,206 Posts
Thanks for taking care of that.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Mr. Wiz; Sep 09, 2011 at 04:14 PM.
Closed Thread