HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 09, 2011, 12:44 AM
Omnipote
Louisville, KY
Joined Apr 2001
665 Posts
Discussion
The Republicans have Romney, Paul and Giuliani

Regardless of all of the Pandora Republican candidates - like Perry, Bachman, Palin, Gingrich et al, that have looked in to the mirror, liked what they saw and have come to believe what the mirror tells them - say, they can't defeat Obama.

They are all too tabloid and too narcissistic to appeal to the swing voters.

So there are really three candidates that the Republicans can run against Obama.

Romney is the obvious choice. He presents a pretty sound conservative platform and has a defensible background. He is from the northeast which is Democrat territory and could disrupt many elections by taking these states. He is a Mormon. That is a problem. But it is more of a problem for ultra conservative Republicans than it is for swing voters. It may keep him from being nominated but it won't be a problem in the general election. Most swing voters know a few Mormons and are comfortable that among all of the miscellaneous Christians sects the Mormons are just fine like the rest of them. He can defeat Obama.

Paul should be the obvious choice. He was Tea Party 20 years before the Tea Party was formed. I really disagree with his political opinions but I respect his politics. He served during Vietnam as a doctor but he never mentions that. He has been in Congress for almost 40 years and countless terms. He is the one true independent and has proven his independence over the decades. He polled well, he almost took the first Iowa straw vote and finished a solid third. He stands for everything the Tea Party stands for and has for 4 decades. He is the only legitimate Republican candidate that can articulate the Tea Party platform in a way that swing voters can possibly accept and can weather a general election. He can defeat Obama and be a Tea Party candidate.

Then there is Giuliani. He might as well be a Democrat, but he is a Republican. That is his strength. If the Republicans self-destruct and fall in to disarray he could beat Obama too. If he has too.
stone_axe is offline Find More Posts by stone_axe
Old Sep 09, 2011, 12:46 AM
United Kingdom
Joined Feb 2005
1,854 Posts
Giuliani - now there's a 'feasible' but he's not in it is he ?
ENGINETORQUE is offline Find More Posts by ENGINETORQUE
Old Sep 09, 2011, 02:13 AM
Omnipote
Louisville, KY
Joined Apr 2001
665 Posts
He is too smart to waste his money and dignity now.

He went on record this week saying that he didn't care for the current crop of Republicans and he could defeat Obama - and he has a good point. Maybe he could. He is from the northeast and could break up the Democrat's electoral block there.

He doesn't need to spar with nobodies in the early debates and he definitely doesn't need to (pretend to) drive around the country in a gawdy bus. That doesn't look Presidential anyway.

The Republicans ultimately have to send a guy up against Obama in a series of televised debates that will decide the election.

Say what you will about Obama but he was in the top 10% of his class at Harvard and was the editor of the Harvard Law Review. Maybe some people don't understand what that means. Editing the Harvard Law Review is one of the most difficult things you can do. There are more astronauts than editors of the Harvard Law Review. There have been more Supreme Court Justices than there have been editors of the Harvard Law Review.

That is the Obama that the Republicans will face in the debates. So they better get over the current batch of carnival barkers that they are excited about.

Giuliani may be the only one they have that can debate Obama.
stone_axe is offline Find More Posts by stone_axe
Old Sep 09, 2011, 03:02 AM
United Kingdom
Joined Feb 2005
1,854 Posts
Giulliani was mayor of NYC when I was last in the USA - I was staying upstate in Greenboro' and he held a heck of a lot of respect at the time I recall!
ENGINETORQUE is offline Find More Posts by ENGINETORQUE