SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 14, 2011, 09:10 PM
United States, SC, Columbia
Joined May 2010
1,363 Posts
Oh,and I got it... safety glasses. I like the ones that wear like regular glasses but go over your prescrip glasses. I hang them on my table top power tools so they're in the way when I want to power up the tool.

Damn, I couldn't work on much tonight, my friggin hand is all swollen up and a fat bandage that's supposed to stay on for 5 days. But when it heals, no more locking up fingers, WooHoo!
Tell you what though, that 20 year old balsa is crap. I making using a piece out of one of the original spars from the kit, and when I sawed it in two, it had air gaps in it. Some other pieces like the wingtips are not made from matching stock. This model would be a fragile piece of junk if I used the original parts. So far I've made everything but the ribs, and they feel pretty strong. Too late anyway, they're glued in place. I'm glad the warped wing straightened itself out just hanging vertical from a ceiling hook.
RknRusty is offline Find More Posts by RknRusty
Last edited by RknRusty; Sep 14, 2011 at 09:25 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 14, 2011, 11:11 PM
United States, CA, Mariposa
Joined May 2011
236 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CZ10 View Post
I was going to suggest a uniflow for RknRsty's tank issue on his other plane. Do you know where to find one off the shelf that size? I was on a site the other day with a section on making them. But I forgot. To bookmark it... Gotta hunt it down.
I found IT!!!

Lots of good info here.
CZ10 is offline Find More Posts by CZ10
Old Sep 15, 2011, 11:22 AM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
7,070 Posts
GRREAT! Am in the middle of building a handle and the diagrams/instructions for the one on that page is More than timely. Thank You!
Bare is offline Find More Posts by Bare
Old Sep 16, 2011, 12:21 AM
Joined May 2010
1,363 Posts
A question about balsa grain

After seeing how weak and inconsistent the balsa from the old kit is, I'm making just about all of the parts. I finished the wing, sanding and all, and am about to start on the forward assembly making up the short fuselage ending with the firewall. There are a couple of balsa braces on each side that fit into slots on the side of the firewall and directly couple it to the wing. This is the most critical force bearing structure in the airframe. The grain in the kit pieces are not aligned with the centerline of the plane. Each brace is two pieces glued together so the grain comes together at the nose and diverges as it goes back to fit over the wing form. Here's a picture illustrating the grain:
Name: 0916110103.jpg
Views: 60
Size: 281.8 KB
Description:
Now I have to choose the wood to make these. I have a sheet with mostly long continuous grain like you would want in a profile fuse or a wing spar. At one end it is widely separated with only a few lines of grain visible, and wide gaps of pure non-grained pulpwood. And the other end is more compact, but not really short grained like in my picture, and in the kit pieces.

Which is strongest and best suited for these parts? I'm inclined to go with the compact but long grained end for cutting these out. Or do I need to go buy a sheet with a lot of visible short grains in it? Or could I use basswood, which would add a little weight? Some other type of wood?

EDIT: or guess I could just paint the pieces from the kit with epoxy and use them.
Last edited by RknRusty; Sep 16, 2011 at 02:45 PM. Reason: misspell
Old Sep 16, 2011, 10:52 AM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
7,070 Posts
Use what you've got.. then sheet/enclose the entire firewall from edge to wing with 1/8 sheet bits.
Unless oil seeps in... it will outlive every other part of the model.
Bare is offline Find More Posts by Bare
Old Sep 16, 2011, 12:39 PM
Joined May 2011
236 Posts
You could also cover them with silkspan, silk or whatever, and dope to add strength.

I picked up the covering material & dope yesterday for mine. I'm thinking transparent red lightweight shrink covering with black motor mount and booms. Black checkerboard stripe on one wing ( left?) and the L'il Satan decal on the other.

It will be a fun evening project over the next couple of weeks after I am done working on the house during the day... I have a rule that applies to the house construction - no power tools after 5. At that point you are burnt out for the day and more likely to have an accident. So I need something to keep me busy and not wandering from the current house and shop back over to the new house and picking up tools to do something because I am bored and thinking about what is going on with the finish work on the house.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 03:40 PM
Joined May 2010
1,363 Posts
Here is a better look at what I'm working with. Looks like a piece or two is missing. And that isn't the right firewall, but close enough for the picture.

Name: Fuse and firewall.jpg
Views: 67
Size: 54.1 KB
Description: Name: firewall plan.jpg
Views: 83
Size: 89.4 KB
Description: Name: lil satan nose.jpg
Views: 49
Size: 11.6 KB
Description:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bare View Post
Use what you've got.. then sheet/enclose the entire firewall from edge to wing with 1/8 sheet bits.
Unless oil seeps in... it will outlive every other part of the model.
Okay, I could come up with something like that. That would thicken it up.

Quote:
You could also cover them with silkspan, silk or whatever, and dope to add strength.
I could.

Quote:
I picked up the covering material & dope yesterday for mine. I'm thinking transparent red lightweight shrink covering with black motor mount and booms. Black checkerboard stripe on one wing ( left?) and the L'il Satan decal on the other...
Black and red is a great looking combination. Everything that's come out of my shop lately has been white and red. I've seen a couple of nice pictures of yellow and black projects lately, so I might buy a roll of yellow Ultracote. The only problem is...well... then I'll have 3/4 roll of yellow Ultracote left over. Hmmm, I'll have to think it over.
I used my Satan head decal on my Li'l Jumpin Bean. I can probably get another one from Brodak.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 04:50 PM
Joined May 2011
236 Posts
Looks like you are missing one of the pieces that goes inside the outer pieces to support the sheeting.

I also picked up some "rocket tubes".. about 3/4" x 3" cardboard tube to make a holder for the bladder tank. The tank material arrived today too...
Old Sep 16, 2011, 05:05 PM
Joined May 2010
1,363 Posts
Quote:
Looks like you are missing one of the pieces that goes inside the outer pieces to support the sheeting..
Is it like that piece on the far left? And I'm not sure, but I may need two more of those like the triangular ones on the right.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 07:21 PM
Joined May 2011
236 Posts
The one on the far left doesn't look right. The ones on the far right look correct. There should be 2 different pairs... The ones on the left (looking from the tail forward) would be longer as there is a significant amount of offset built into the mount. Too bad this didn't come up early in the week when I was in Marposa. That is where my kit is. I won't be back until Tuesday or Wednesday...
Old Sep 16, 2011, 08:51 PM
Joined May 2010
1,363 Posts
I'll just fit it up with pins and figure out what I need. I have the airfoil shaped braces backward in the picture. The one on the right should be the pointed tipped ones, the longer pair.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 09:13 PM
Joined May 2011
236 Posts
I'm thinking of moving the bell crank toward the inboard wing tip maybe 1/2" or so, opening the holes in the first rib in that direction for clearance of the lead-out ends. Then put a hard balsa block or light hardwood block just outboard from the centerline in between the LE an the bell crank support, along with some additional bracing and support for sheeting. Then between the motor mount block and the first rib out is where I would put the rocket tube for the bladder tank. I think I can get about 3/4 oz. of fuel on board, maybe a full ounce. I" ll have to measure the capacity.

I would either epoxy maple beams to a balsa block, or use The metal beams i found on line that seem to allow for slight CG adjustment thru bolted to a hardwood block.

I need to look how tieing the mount into the airframe is done on a Voodoo, or better yet, a Jr. Saran, for additional ideas
Old Sep 17, 2011, 10:08 AM
Joined May 2010
1,363 Posts
I still have to find the plywood for my firewall. The LHS only has big stuff and can't ordser the small amount I need.
If you get a chance I could use the measurements for the height and width of the firewall. Give it to me in millimeters if you would, it's easier to be more exact.

Looks like we've got a co-build going here.
Old Sep 17, 2011, 10:17 AM
Joined May 2011
236 Posts
OK... The shop I go to in Sacramento has a complete selection. If need be, I can grab a piececand trace out mine on it.

Yep, but your gonna beat me... I got a more major project going on I'm working on finishing up. I posted a few photos in the OT section of the Cox forum. Big fun - like giving birth.... Great to see my design coming together.
Old Sep 17, 2011, 12:55 PM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
7,673 Posts
Cox

Rusty,
Train shop carry small pieces of plywood and Craft stores. Send me an email and I'll send you some free. I have 1/16" thick but you can laminate it and I'll include some carbon veil to add unreal strenght.
Dan
dankar04 is offline Find More Posts by dankar04
Last edited by dankar04; Sep 17, 2011 at 12:55 PM. Reason: updated