HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 12, 2011, 10:54 AM
Western KY
Joined Sep 2003
1,618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dankar04 View Post
Makes great water pistol also. Just fill bladder insert in pants and spray folks once in awhile.
Hmmmm??!!

I've already got a bladder in my pants; it's just the sprayer that doesn't work very well anymore!!!!

andrew
Andrew0820 is online now Find More Posts by Andrew0820
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 12, 2011, 11:26 AM
United States, SC, Columbia
Joined May 2010
1,364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dankar04 View Post
Texastimers has a site and shows complete bladder tank assembly. Tubing is cheap and fitting are to. You can use automotive vacume conectors. Check valve or hemostat. Makes great water pistol also. Just fill bladder insert in pants and spray folks once in awhile.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew0820 View Post
Hmmmm??!!

I've already got a bladder in my pants; it's just the sprayer that doesn't work very well anymore!!!!

andrew
This place keeps gett'n hilariouser and hilariouser.
And thanks, Dankar, I'll check that out.
RknRusty is offline Find More Posts by RknRusty
Old Sep 12, 2011, 12:03 PM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
7,159 Posts
Rusty; IF you are planning to buy mo' power in a 1/2a .
I suggest you find a Norvel, bypassing the TD's entirely.
IMO those are Wayyy more trouble than they are worth.
Norvel is far more user friendly and goes loads faster ..IF.. you want it to .
A TD is only impressive at close to it's crank breaking rpms and then these eat plugs.. with regularity.
Besides NIB TD's are at least double (even quadruple) the price of a NIB norvel
Just my 2 cents
Bare is offline Find More Posts by Bare
Old Sep 12, 2011, 12:15 PM
Joined May 2010
1,364 Posts
I've actually been trying to find some info on Norvels just to see what they're all about, since they come so highly recommended. Looks like a used .049 can be had on eBay pretty cheap. Hopefully spare parts are plentiful.
Last edited by RknRusty; Sep 12, 2011 at 12:40 PM.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 12:43 PM
Western KY
Joined Sep 2003
1,618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RknRusty View Post
I've actually been trying to find some info on Norvels just to see what they're all about, since they come so highly recommended. I haven't found much yet. Where is a good source?
NORVEL FAQ: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_3747976/tm.htm

There are a lot of threads in the 1/2A forum in RCU dealing with NORVELs. Over here, surfer kris has a lot of NORVEL experience and I can answer some questions (information quality may be suspect, however) for you. gcb also would be a good source plus other posters.

If you're considering a NORVEL, I would be inclined to stick with the .061 just because of the 25% increase in displacement over the .049 and it weighs only 4 grams more. Secondly, I'm always a little suspect of used engines --- if improperly broken in, the piston/cylinder fit can be hurt if the owner was a little too impatient and tried to loosen the engine up too quickly.

andrew
Last edited by Andrew0820; Sep 12, 2011 at 02:09 PM.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 12:48 PM
Joined May 2010
1,364 Posts
I was just looking at an .061, thinking of my paint-ladened Stuntman 23.
What about that long needle valve sticking out of the side. I'm thinking I might want a sack full of spares, as I am inclined to do some subterranean flying once in a while.
Thanks for the FAQ link.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 01:53 PM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
7,159 Posts
Quote:
What about that long needle valve sticking out of the side.
Side cutters on the useless wire:-) followed by a wee moment at a grinding wheel.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 02:07 PM
Western KY
Joined Sep 2003
1,618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bare View Post
Side cutters on the useless wire:-) followed by a wee moment at a grinding wheel.
Yup --- see post #18 in the FAQ to see what I do.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 02:50 PM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
8,131 Posts
Norvel

Norvel is a fine engine. I grew up with Cox and know how to make them run. Fuel/head shims etc. Some dislike them and want to bad mouth a fine engine. Remember TD's held most 1/2A records for decades. Norvel has done squat, its a knock off design wise. Dynamic/Estes ended Cox as it was known. The Norvel came out 30-40 years later. Again I like Norvel, I also like Cox.
Norvel is a sport engine at best. New is allways better than used. If you blow plugs on TD add a head gasket or two. 25% at least two 30%-40% add three gaskets. Hi end Russkies don't need high nitro but will cost you plenty.
Anyway Rusty hope you find something good and makes you happy.
Cheers,Dan
dankar04 is offline Find More Posts by dankar04
Old Sep 12, 2011, 08:13 PM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
7,159 Posts
:-) everybody knows how to make a Cox Sing... off tune or not.
Tens of thousands of us Kids learned this... No News there :-)
Lets not forget Or ignore that COX was the ONLY available show in town for decades !
Not too difficult to be king of the Pile...when there was virtually NO alternate available.
Remember my first experience with a VA with Rutherford's assistance..
Crikey! It was quick. A whole new world vista opened with mere seconds of exposure.
Sadly a bit too late as only diehards bothered with 1/2a even then (early 90's ?), even far fewer now.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 08:30 PM
Joined May 2010
1,364 Posts
I promise I'll post something about the Li'l Satan soon. Unfortunately I have surgery on 3 fingers in the morning to release them from locking up; it's called trigger finger. In the mean time I'm happy to see the thread turning into a lively discussion about power plants.

I took my Jumpin Bean out today and my wife was cool enough to help me. Had to superglue the fuse and tail once... that sucking air at the top of an outside loop thing again. Jeez, I hate that. But I did some good figure 8s and wound up the lines real good with some quadruple inside loops. That's a fun plane. It seems a lot faster since I removed the landing gear. One last flight before I'm grounded by the flight surgeon. Maybe I can still build while I recover.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 08:35 PM
Will fly for food
Maryland
Joined Sep 2004
8,424 Posts
Quote:
I went to that site, but I couldn't find anything about bladder tanks. I can find what I need to learn about them though.
Approximately 1/8" OD thin wall latex surgical tubing (5 feet). This small tubing can be used as a very soft, flexible fuel line. It can also be used to make small diameter bladders. Usually the five feet of tubing will be in one length, however, on occasion there can be two pieces.

http://kittingittogether.com/fuel-fi...e/kt20-tubing/
Pinecone is offline Find More Posts by Pinecone
Old Sep 12, 2011, 09:44 PM
Joined May 2010
1,364 Posts
Okay, I wondered if that's what it was. I may become a bladder tank convert. It looks like those will fit inside the wing on any plane.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 10:57 PM
Joined Jan 2008
1,208 Posts
Back in the 1950's there were a number of 1/2A engines of different brands. I have a book on 1/2A engines and will get it out and post some more on them. I was a 1/2A fan, and flew a number of different ones. The K&B Allyn Skyfury in 049 and 074 were good engines. Also the O&R Midjets. I flew various Atwood 049's in preference to the Coxes of the time (spacebug and thermalhopper) because I found them to run more reliably for me. I have a couple of Cox spacehoppers which run well, and plan to build something for them. In the 60's and 80's, I flew TD's of various sizes, and been happy with them. The TD 09 is a favorite engine. I have a Big Mig 061 run on the bench, and It looks good.

As said, buying new, for fun, I'd get a Norvel 061.
Jim Thomerson is offline Find More Posts by Jim Thomerson
Old Sep 12, 2011, 11:04 PM
Joined May 2010
1,364 Posts
I've been reading around about bladder tanks. Sounds simple enough for my uses, and would be great for all of my planes.
If I get some of this 1/8"od tube
Name: regular_kt20.jpg
Views: 44
Size: 39.4 KB
Description:
and cut it to a length that I can attach neatly along the outside underbelly of the Li'l Satan wing, will that do the job for me? Obviously I don't want it inside the wing as I said earlier.

Then what? I haven't found a how-to yet, but here is what I imagine:
  1. Close needle valve
  2. fill the tube with a syringe
  3. pinch it off with enough fuel on the engine side of the clamp for starting
  4. crank the engine
  5. remove the clamp
  6. fly plane.
Is it that easy?
Last edited by RknRusty; Sep 12, 2011 at 11:09 PM.