HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 28, 2011, 04:34 PM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
7,241 Posts
Nice bit o' woodwork there Andrew 8020.
Foam and electrics are easier/faster/simpler... but Balsa builds, like the smells of castor laced glo fuel are difficult to leave behind entirely.
Bare is offline Find More Posts by Bare
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 28, 2011, 05:18 PM
Western KY
Joined Sep 2003
1,622 Posts
Bare -

Thank you. I enjoy the design/drawing/building phase as much as flying.

Here are some other pics of that plane and a couple of a Mini-Mambo in the bones. You can see the general layout of the plans (drawn on freezer paper) in the stab/rudder pic.

My apology to Rusty for treading on his thread.

andrew
Andrew0820 is offline Find More Posts by Andrew0820
Old Sep 28, 2011, 06:45 PM
Western KY
Joined Sep 2003
1,622 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CZ10 View Post
<snip>......Which now has me wondering how we did it back then with silkspan and dope...
It couldn't have been easily done without either extending the center section sheeting or gluing directly to the silkspan. Keep in mind that when a wing like this was covered, the silkspan was probably doped down only on the LE, TE and wingtips. The center section would have been free to move until the silkspan dried and shrunk. Silkspan is pretty porous, so it would have been possible to glue the booms and mount on using either Ambroid or Elmer's wood glue -- the glue quite possibly penetrated and soaked thru to the underlying wood making a fairly good joint. After the glue dried, everything could have been given a sealing coat of dope.

I expect if the plane mid-aired or dirtnapped, the boom and mount joints would not have been the single point of failure.

Just a guess.

andrew
Old Sep 28, 2011, 07:50 PM
United States, SC, Columbia
Joined May 2010
1,364 Posts
Maybe you could glue right to the silkspan and it would soak through? I don't know, but here's the beginning of my patchwork:
Name: 0928111922a.jpg
Views: 91
Size: 97.9 KB
Description: Name: 0928111922.jpg
Views: 78
Size: 67.7 KB
Description:
I cut out a piece to add on th the top. It isn't glued in place yet. You can see where I put a smudge of CA so I don't fumble and break it. I'll have to make another piece to bridge that spar without making an unsightly lump.

I haven't decided about the bottom, but the spar isn't in the way down there.
Name: 0928111920.jpg
Views: 61
Size: 93.4 KB
Description:
RknRusty is offline Find More Posts by RknRusty
Old Sep 28, 2011, 07:51 PM
Joined May 2010
1,364 Posts
Oh, I didn't see all those posts, there was a new page. I'll read it after supper.
__________________________________________________ ____________________

Since this post was basically wasted space, I'll put some entertainment in it. I'll cross post this link because it's great stuff.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1501739 Click up 720 dpi and watch it full screen.
I would love to have been there to watch when these guys built a huge scale model Douglass DC-10 and flew it all during a model jet event.
Last edited by RknRusty; Sep 29, 2011 at 12:11 PM.
Old Sep 29, 2011, 12:02 AM
Joined May 2010
1,364 Posts
I can live with that... Breast enlargement...

And it feels so real, smooth and seamless.
After seeing Andrew's work, mine looks like an amateur did it... wait, that would be me.

Name: 0928112303.jpg
Views: 92
Size: 156.7 KB
Description:

I think I did it without making it ugly once the cover is on it. All the joints are smooth and tight and follow the curves. And I didn't glue up the bellcrank either. I still need to put a strip on each side of the bottom, but that should be simple enough. It won't take a bunch of carving and gouging and fitting. I used regular airplane glue so I could fiddle with it as it dried. I didn't want to have to chisel it apart because CA set before I was ready.

Maybe I should mention this to Brodak.

Flying this thing by Sunday is pretty iffy now. All parts are made and I have to build the nacelle and firewall; smear filler in any cracks and gaps; sand it; paint the tail and the nose; cover the wing, mount the tail and nose, pick an engine and tune it up; watch football on Saturday... nnnnnaaah, probably not going to happen.
Oh well another step backward, but I'm getting there.
See y'all in the funny papers.
Rusty
Old Sep 29, 2011, 10:35 PM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
7,241 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew0820 View Post
Bare -

Thank you. I enjoy the design/drawing/building phase as much as flying.

andrew
IF that's the case I might humbly suggest that you Build a Free flight model every couple of years.
I do and it's Hugely rewarding. More so the building as craftsmanship IS expected /required.
Sig sells some very nice rubber powered kits, inexpensively as well (I've built most of them over the years:-)
Nothing like a rubber freeflight model to bring back the little boy.
Ever seen Freeflighters? Despite the appearance/stigma of being time warpers.. these guys Always have a smile on ... for good reason.
I have built a Me163 Aerographics kit 16" span ..lovely model/fun to build (eventually going to slope it :-) it was intended as a Rapier Rocket powered model
Built a BD5 From Dave Blums' free plan (have a copy IF you want it, via Email)
Beautiful build, EVERY part fits 'perfectly' and it's scale.
You do have to cut them out tho. It's a 3/ 4 oz airframe model intended for a mid mounted inrunner. Hunt for it in RC groups lotsa photos/postings.
Just a thought, if building is every bit as fulfilling as flying (is for me :-)
Old Sep 30, 2011, 08:57 AM
Western KY
Joined Sep 2003
1,622 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RknRusty View Post
And it feels so real, smooth and seamless.

Rusty
Isn't that a great feeling?!

Rusty, you took a building problem, came up with a workable solution and implemented it --- and it will look good. Give yourself a hardy pat on the back from me.

Waiting for the next set of pics.

andrew
Old Sep 30, 2011, 08:38 PM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
8,460 Posts
1/2a

Rusty,
Looking good and getting there.
Dan
dankar04 is online now Find More Posts by dankar04
Old Sep 30, 2011, 11:43 PM
Joined May 2010
1,364 Posts
Thanks for the back pat, Andrew. Y'all will make a builder out of me yet.
I haven't got a lot to show for today. I used Dap lightweight filler to cover any gaps, like where the ribs join the spars and a couple of fillets on the wingtips. The wing is all sanded now and ready for the covering. The twist is pretty well straightened out.

The tail is shiny black and I'm fitting the nacelle and motor mount pieces. I'll glue it up and give it an epoxy coating tomorrow.

I never showed the underside of the breast enlargement mod, so here's one last look at the naked wing skeleton, with the added strips on the underside and their braces:
Name: 0929111813.jpg
Views: 63
Size: 97.7 KB
Description:

Hopefully the next time you see the wing it will be perfectly covered. I've only done that once, on the Jumpin Bean but it came out really good, even without a practice run. Hope this job goes as well. The wingtips are the most tedious part to do neatly.

While I'm waiting for the paint to cure, I'm going to take the Li'l Jumpin bean out for an exhibition a time or two to get the dizzies out and polish my stunt skills. Maybe I can get a video of that to entertain y'all with.

Got some football watching to do Saturday too. Go South Carolina Gamecocks, whip Auburn!

Bye for now,
Rusty
Old Oct 01, 2011, 07:08 PM
Joined May 2010
1,364 Posts
Got the wing covered

Started before the football game and finished at halftime.
This is my review tutorial before I covered it. I found it when I built the Bean. http://www.rc-airplane-advisor.com/h...-covering.html
It came out pretty good. Here are some views:

Name: SAM_0886.jpg
Views: 74
Size: 64.2 KB
Description:
The reflections in the first pic make it look like larger dips between the ribs, but there is hardly any. Those turbulator spars do a great job of holding the form of the airfoil.

Name: SAM_0888.jpg
Views: 58
Size: 63.7 KB
Description:
The control rod hole.

Name: SAM_0889.jpg
Views: 70
Size: 59.9 KB
Description:
This is the underside. You can hardly see the overlap. I got almost all of the little wrinkles out. That line between the leadouts must be one of my gray hairs, not a botch.I used the iron to shrink the whole thing. No heat gun this time. When I got it wrapped it didn't need much shrinking. I did it without the heat sock and left some telltale marking over the sheeting of the center housing. Other than that I like the way the iron works. I'use the sock over sheeting next time.
Name: SAM_0892.jpg
Views: 56
Size: 54.1 KB
Description:
This is the top side.

Name: SAM_0893.jpg
Views: 68
Size: 63.9 KB
Description:
I threw in the picture with the tail stuck on it just for wishful thinking. I'll be glad when I finish this project.

Not bad for only my second wing job. Thank goodness I'm finally out of the red. What color do y'all think my next batch of planes should be?
Last edited by RknRusty; Oct 02, 2011 at 12:39 AM.
Old Oct 01, 2011, 07:33 PM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
8,460 Posts
Cox

Looking good ! Should be done real soon. My last Li'l Satan had a RR1 and was very fast. Engine really ran good with Cox racing fuel. This was many years ago. I used silk back then and models looked great. One sq. yard would cover a VooDoo and scraps did a L/Satan. Keep up the good work.
Dan
dankar04 is online now Find More Posts by dankar04
Last edited by dankar04; Oct 01, 2011 at 07:33 PM. Reason: updated
Old Oct 01, 2011, 08:41 PM
Joined May 2010
1,364 Posts
OOPS! Ya know what... I forgot to glue a weight on the wingtip.
If it needs one I'm a pretty good surgeon. I'd rather have to take one out than put one in. I always do at least one thing thing dumb. I guess that was it.

It'll probably be alright, the plans don't call for it, but it helps in the wind. Damnit.
Old Oct 02, 2011, 09:47 PM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
7,241 Posts
Just use masking tape and stick it on the covering that way you can adjust weights as necessary. Will work fine.
Old Oct 05, 2011, 11:06 PM
Joined May 2010
1,364 Posts
The finishing touches

I used an Exacto knife to carve the ultracote off of the wing to accommodate the tail booms and glued them on with 6 min Great Planes epoxy. Almost made another boo boo. I aligned everything straight and square. Or so I thought until I peered over the wing at the stab and realized it wasn't level. The glue set faster than I was working, but I laid some pressure on it and left it a while and it came back straight... almost. If I look close, the outboard side dips slightly lower. I'll see how it flies, but I've figured an easy fix if it acts up in the air. I'm talking about only a small skew, but does anybody think that will cause the plane to want to roll one way or the other? I hope not.

I assembled the nacelle and firewall. That was a bit of a pain, the plans not having a good picture of the original parts, some of which were long gone. The sheeting and firewall went on with CA, the bulkheads and doublers went inside with Testors airplane cement.
Name: SAM_0943.jpg
Views: 59
Size: 132.1 KB
Description:

I cut out the wing covering and tacked on some fiberglass tape to give it strength and a good surface to glue to. I put a few dots of CA to hold it in place, to be later painted with epoxy when the nacelle went on.
Name: SAM_0945.jpg
Views: 56
Size: 101.4 KB
Description:

Here, I did the same for the fiberglass around the firewall. With a brush I painted the whole exposed area of the wing and the mating surfaces of the nacelle with 6 min epoxy, slid it on and clamped it. I would have just pressed it, but the sheeting wasn't quite flush so I had to clamp it.
Name: SAM_0948.jpg
Views: 66
Size: 109.4 KB
Description: Name: 1005111851.jpg
Views: 57
Size: 66.4 KB
Description: Name: SAM_0949.jpg
Views: 62
Size: 124.2 KB
Description:

Now I painted the whole thing with 6 min epoxy, except the firewall and its fiberglass which I did with 60 min Loctite epoxy. It'll be cured by tomorrow afternoon. I'm a firm believer in slow cure glue for securing and fuel proofing firewalls.
Name: 1005112046.jpg
Views: 69
Size: 112.5 KB
Description:

As soon as the glue is cured I'll mask it off and prime and paint it black. While I'm waiting on the paint I'll put a good Black Widow together for it. Maybe after I fly it a few times I'll see if there's some way to put a wedge tank on it.

Being the klutz that I am, I got some smears on the wing that are a bit hazy after cleaning. But it ain't a showpiece anyway. This sure as hell can't be the way you guys mass produce combat planes.
Last edited by RknRusty; Oct 05, 2011 at 11:23 PM. Reason: Add a title