Old Sep 08, 2011, 05:56 PM
UH-60 Blackhawk Mechanic
United States, TN, Clarksville
Joined Feb 2004
2,849 Posts
Discussion
anyone still have a Alien Air jumpjet?

Hey guys,
I know these things are old and out of date. I bought a used one because I wanted something different. when I plug it in it lights up and it'll fly for about 20 seconds but then shuts down. any ideas? I charged the batt fully and double checked it. kind of disappointed I have searched the web for mods and tips but couldn't find much even here on rcg. thanks for any tips.

Brandon
helifrek is offline Find More Posts by helifrek
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 08, 2011, 06:06 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2003
3,272 Posts
Yes I've still got one of the firsts, though don't use it much anymore, but sounds like your battery needs replacing that's all.
topgearuk is offline Find More Posts by topgearuk
Old Sep 08, 2011, 06:08 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2003
3,272 Posts
Here's a link to the original thread http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=813134
Old Sep 09, 2011, 04:33 PM
UH-60 Blackhawk Mechanic
Joined Feb 2004
2,849 Posts
Thanks for the link! no luck just yet, I am curious as to if low TX batts could be the cause because I only had some old aaa's laying around. lipo on the JJ seems to have a good charge according to my charger. will order a new batt and see if that helps. thanks again.

Brandon
Old Sep 09, 2011, 10:07 PM
My RC builds in my profile.
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Feb 2011
2,560 Posts
I have 3 Saucers and a Jumpjet. Also have a Superdave42 Frame I'm building with Superdave42's help.

Going to try and run coptercontrol if I can on it.

The saucers are still available here legit Snelflight dealer in the US for $60 new

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Alien-Tech-R...#ht_986wt_1139
daign is offline Find More Posts by daign
Old Sep 10, 2011, 02:53 PM
UH-60 Blackhawk Mechanic
Joined Feb 2004
2,849 Posts
I took the props off to test it out today. with no load on the motors it'll run just fine non stop. so with the props on I guess the load is too much for one of the old circuit boards or something..... any ideas. I don't have any extra battery packs but I'll order one come payday to see if maybe the battery is the problem.
Old Sep 10, 2011, 04:07 PM
UH-60 Blackhawk Mechanic
Joined Feb 2004
2,849 Posts
Hey, you guys were right (of course). the battery is the problem! I was scared I was going to have to just ditch this little guy and buy another one that works. I rigged up a 3S 1300mah battery to plug into the JJ and that thing had some major power! ran like a champ! now, what size battery can I throw into this thing? I'm going for more of a barebones style to save weight, would a 250mah 3S work well? where is the best place to order a battery? I can't find any the right size from HK. thanks again guys. I'll keep poking my head around that other thread but man is there alot of pages to sift through.
Old Sep 10, 2011, 10:03 PM
Joined Feb 2011
2,560 Posts
I found the batteries on these like to die pretty quickly and it likely has to do with the cutoff/charging. I use my lipo charger at .5 amps.

I've gone through 2 batteries in both saucers... I eventually just ordered 5 from HK.

Thanks to Superdave I have one of his CF saucer frames with hardware waiting here to be built. Can't wait to see this little thing fly. I'd like to convert it to 2.4ghz but realize its unrealistic so 72mhz will have to do.
Old Sep 14, 2011, 01:43 AM
Joined Feb 2011
2,560 Posts
After breaking down a saucer and geting all the hardware on.... Motors need wiring. SuperDave42 was jus kund enough ti provide me sofe super light gauge wiring,

Was eyeballing Hobbykings micro 5chan comb receiver/ESC to convert to brushless. Or maybe cannabilize a Walkera UFO-5 receiver/escs.
Old Sep 14, 2011, 01:58 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2003
3,272 Posts
Now that's nice! Have you had a fly of it yet? Where did you get the frame from?
Old Sep 14, 2011, 07:25 PM
UH-60 Blackhawk Mechanic
Joined Feb 2004
2,849 Posts
Thats awesome, I would love to find a used (cheap) one of those laying around. I really want the RX mod to, I think they are something like $20 new but the shipping from the UK is probably a lil high. how does that frame put the tilt in the motors?