HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
This thread is privately moderated by Tony Oliver, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Sep 15, 2003, 03:00 PM
Palo Alto, California, United States
Joined Jan 2003
1,062 Posts
Sterling Sopwith Camel

Sterling Sopwith Camel powered by a PAW .03 diesel and 3 channel (rudder, elevator, throttle) control
mlbco is online now Find More Posts by mlbco
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 15, 2003, 03:01 PM
Joined Jan 2003
1,062 Posts
Thermic 50

Thermic 50 converted to 2 channel RC and powered by a Cox Pee Wee .020.
Old Sep 15, 2003, 04:21 PM
Lancaster Pa
Joined Jun 2003
1,970 Posts
Re: Sterling Sopwith Camel

Quote:
Originally posted by mlbco
Sterling Sopwith Camel powered by a PAW .03 diesel and 3 channel (rudder, elevator, throttle) control
Was that a free flight kit ?
Bud Morrison is offline Find More Posts by Bud Morrison
Old Sep 15, 2003, 08:26 PM
Joined Jan 2003
1,062 Posts
Sterling Sopwith Camel

Bud,

This was from a Sterling rubber powered kit (24" span) that is discontinued. I bought this one on E-bay for $30 and converted it to RC. As you may have noticed from my pictures, I have a habit of converting old rubber power free flight kits to RC. They never flew worth a darn when I built them as a kid, but now I can fly them radio control!

Steve
Old Sep 15, 2003, 08:38 PM
Rocky Mountain High and Higher
Joined Jan 2002
877 Posts
Hi mlbco,
You seem to have the knack/art of converting those rubber power models to power figured out pretty well. Maybe you would be so kind as to share some of the techniques with us or (me) if no one else cares. I am very interested in converting the Guillow kits, as for now my attempts are far from successful.
Thanks,
Ace
PROACE is offline Find More Posts by PROACE
Old Sep 15, 2003, 08:53 PM
Joined Jan 2003
1,062 Posts
Guillow Conversions

Ace,

I started a separate thread on this list that shows 5 pictures of my BF 109 conversion.

Thanks,

Steve
Old Sep 15, 2003, 09:10 PM
Rocky Mountain High and Higher
Joined Jan 2002
877 Posts
OK, I'll look it up.
Thanks
PROACE is offline Find More Posts by PROACE
Old Sep 16, 2003, 03:12 AM
North-East England
Joined Mar 2002
3,401 Posts
PROACE - I care too!

mlbco - it's good to come across a real modellers - these conversions are superb. It's just like seeing the ingenuity and originality you get at somewhere like Old Warden for the first time.

A breath of fresh air.

Tony
Tony Oliver is offline Find More Posts by Tony Oliver
Old Sep 16, 2003, 01:22 PM
Ghent, Belgium, EU
Joined Sep 2003
49 Posts
Really like that Dr.I!! I've got the same kit and a peewee here.. brings me to idea's... howzit flying? More pics or a website perhaps?

This is my 1/2A: Graupner's Citabria.. Cox Black widdow.049 power.
MZanders is offline Find More Posts by MZanders
Old Sep 16, 2003, 01:41 PM
Joined Jan 2003
1,062 Posts
Dr1

The Dr1 flies fine, much better than I would have ever thought for such a small plane at 8 oz weight. I did enlarge the vertical tail a bit for more stability. The rudder control is still touchy so don't use too much, maybe ± 3/8 inch at first.

I got started in this 'conversion' rut a few years ago when my friend Alan Porter showed up at my house with his own converted Guillows Dr1 powered by a Cox 020. We went to the field to test fly it, both of us expecting to see his nice model crumpled to bits after the first scary hand launch. To our surprise it flew and flew well! It was amazing to watch his miniature triplane meandering around the local park with the sun shining through the tissue wings. We were both sure it would snap roll or do something horrible in those first few seconds after launching, but it behaved itself. I wouldn't call it any easy model to fly, but certainly a fine model for winds under 10 mph.

Since then we were both hooked and started converting other Guillow and Sterling WW1 planes. We convinced another friend, Steve Adams to do the same and that's when the WW 2 models started to be converted. I would like to build another DR1 with a PAW diesel in it instead of the high RPM glow engine.

Here is another picture some of Alan's Dr1 and D-7 along with mine. Alan ran the tissue through a color printer to make the lozenge patterns for his model.
Old Sep 16, 2003, 08:57 PM
Wichita, Ks
Joined Sep 2003
20 Posts
Here is my latest project. Still have a few nit-picky things to do before it is ready to fly.
This is a 35.00 Lanier Dominator 200 kit. I clipped the wing to 30", thinned the airfoil a little bit, put some edges on the tailfeathers, and generally used just enough wood to keep it together. The engine is a .061 Norvel ( C/L ) with an APC 5.5x4 prop. I probably took a little speed off by putting landing gear on it, but we have a nice paved runway, why not use it?

Bubbafly
Bubbafly is offline Find More Posts by Bubbafly
Old Sep 16, 2003, 08:58 PM
Wichita, Ks
Joined Sep 2003
20 Posts
Another pic, gives you an idea of the size.
Old Sep 16, 2003, 08:58 PM
Wichita, Ks
Joined Sep 2003
20 Posts
The business end!!
Old Sep 17, 2003, 03:27 AM
North-East England
Joined Mar 2002
3,401 Posts
Half A

This was a model built from a plan I got from a pal. I think it was a Bowman Kit originally. It's a bit quick and a bit small so you need to be ahead of it when flying.