HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 11, 2012, 10:57 AM
United States, CA, Livermore
Joined Oct 2004
744 Posts
I have been running my SM 80 in my Habu on 6s 5000 for quite a while now and I love it. Fly 5 min land with 25-35% pack. If I get a 7s pack (just for fun ) will I notice much of a difference in performance? What size cells would fit? I imagine I would get a 3 and 4 s pack of approx 4500 mah. How long are your flight times? Thanks
Husafreak is offline Find More Posts by Husafreak
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 11, 2012, 05:54 PM
Australia, ACT, Canberra
Joined Jul 2006
539 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Husafreak View Post
I have been running my SM 80 in my Habu on 6s 5000 for quite a while now and I love it. Fly 5 min land with 25-35% pack. If I get a 7s pack (just for fun ) will I notice much of a difference in performance? What size cells would fit? I imagine I would get a 3 and 4 s pack of approx 4500 mah. How long are your flight times? Thanks
I'm using the same combo, SM80 Habu32. Using the Hobby King 7s 5800mah Compacts. Same weight as my 6000mah Nano. Basically unlimited vertical. When i do a large vertical and when i think it has stopped i put the inputs in for a snap and it snaps so it is still flying. Heaps quicker. And sounds even better too.

I get 5 min flights. But i do push my batteries very hard

Chris
icicles is online now Find More Posts by icicles
Old Jun 12, 2012, 01:34 AM
United States, CA, Livermore
Joined Oct 2004
744 Posts
HK 7s 5800, thanks
Husafreak is offline Find More Posts by Husafreak
Old Jun 28, 2012, 07:26 AM
FunkMaster
United States, OH, Mason
Joined Jan 2011
191 Posts
I was hoping someone (and maybe Stu) could answer a question for me. I just bought a SM80-45 from EspritModels (fan only no motor) and I'm trying to establish if I got an older model. The one I received has screw holes to secure the motor in the front but I read that the newer ones use grub screws and secure the motor to the aluminum casing in the rear. Also, the Neu 1509 motor I have (which is 39mm wide) is extremely loose in the case...more than thermal grease can help.

Thanks,

Kent
KentF is offline Find More Posts by KentF
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: JTM 1.7m ViperJet
Old Jun 28, 2012, 10:07 AM
Not Funny......
United States, CO, Redstone
Joined Dec 2010
888 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KentF View Post
...... just bought a SM80-45 from EspritModels (fan only no motor) and I'm trying to establish if I got an older model. The one I received has screw holes to secure the motor in the front but I read that the newer ones use grub screws and secure the motor to the aluminum casing in the rear. Also, the Neu 1509 motor I have (which is 39mm wide) is extremely loose in the case...more than thermal grease can help.
Kent
Might do to call or email Stuart directly, he's pretty busy so I'm not sure how often he reads these posts?
stumax@optusnet.com.au
+61 288 194 330

If the fit is the only issue you can wrap the motor case in aluminum HVAC tape to bring the diameter up to a snug slip fit then do the thermal grease thing.
-Mike
Mike Warren is offline Find More Posts by Mike Warren
Old Jun 28, 2012, 10:18 AM
Dublin Ireland
Joined Aug 2005
818 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Husafreak View Post
HK 7s 5800, thanks
When you say Hk 7s Compacts
Do you mean Zippy? this is all I can see on the site.
Thanks
Steve.
STEVEAIR2 is online now Find More Posts by STEVEAIR2
Old Jun 28, 2012, 11:10 AM
FunkMaster
United States, OH, Mason
Joined Jan 2011
191 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Warren View Post
Might do to call or email Stuart directly, he's pretty busy so I'm not sure how often he reads these posts?
stumax@optusnet.com.au
+61 288 194 330

If the fit is the only issue you can wrap the motor case in aluminum HVAC tape to bring the diameter up to a snug slip fit then do the thermal grease thing.
-Mike
I've emailed to that address a couple of times but no response. Figured he was a busy guy. I'm most concerned about the fit but I also want to make sure that I have the latest fan unit, everything stays cool and secure. The aluminum HVAC tape is a good tip. I have plenty of that, just need to get some thermal grease.

Stu mentions that the motors are secured with 5 grubscrews in the rear of the aluminum motor enclosure but mine does not have any holes to do this and it looks like the motor is secured by the standard "screws in the front of the motor". I'm currious if anyone has any knowledge of this. My TJ-80 uses the grubscrews method and I thought Stu wrote that the SM80-45 did also.

Thanks for the advice,

Kent
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 28, 2012, 11:21 AM
EDF Jet Jam May 2014
United States, KY, Crestview Hills
Joined Dec 2000
6,400 Posts
I prefer the forward mounting flanges that he previously used.

My Stumax 90mm has the same style motor tube with the mounting flanges as you have received and works flawlessly.

There is no advantage to the set screw retention method, it is slightly less expensive to manufacture and that was the reason for the change.

Put it together and enjoy it!

Stu will respond to your email.
Robert Belluomini is offline Find More Posts by Robert Belluomini
Old Jun 28, 2012, 12:02 PM
FunkMaster
United States, OH, Mason
Joined Jan 2011
191 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Belluomini View Post
I prefer the forward mounting flanges that he previously used.

My Stumax 90mm has the same style motor tube with the mounting flanges as you have received and works flawlessly.

There is no advantage to the set screw retention method, it is slightly less expensive to manufacture and that was the reason for the change.

Put it together and enjoy it!

Stu will respond to your email.
Good info Robert. Thanks. I've got that warm cozy feeling again

Kent
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 28, 2012, 12:08 PM
EDF Jet Jam May 2014
Joined Dec 2000
6,400 Posts
Just wait to you run and fly that bad boy!
Old Jun 28, 2012, 01:57 PM
FunkMaster
United States, OH, Mason
Joined Jan 2011
191 Posts
Robert,

I notice I'm only a short distance from you. Where do you fly? I'm at Miami Valley RC Club just north of the 275 loop.

Kent
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 28, 2012, 03:06 PM
EDF Jet Jam May 2014
Joined Dec 2000
6,400 Posts
Kent I fly at the GCRCC in Trenton. We should get together some time to fly.
Old Jun 28, 2012, 05:56 PM
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
11,478 Posts
What you want to know is which batch of blades your rotor was made from, the tabs have been removed since mid last year from memory, so if the fan was built around then it could be from the first batch of blades which is ok, could be from the second which is not. Best to ask esprit if it was a rebuilt rotor from the recall or not.
Extreme_RC is offline Find More Posts by Extreme_RC
Old Jun 29, 2012, 06:29 AM
FunkMaster
United States, OH, Mason
Joined Jan 2011
191 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Belluomini View Post
Kent I fly at the GCRCC in Trenton. We should get together some time to fly.
Robert,

That would be great. You're just a stones throw away.

We don't really have anyone else doing high performance ducted fans at our club right now so it would be great to see what you're doing. Is there a day you normally fly or is it usually last minute?

Kent
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 29, 2012, 06:31 AM
FunkMaster
United States, OH, Mason
Joined Jan 2011
191 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme_RC View Post
What you want to know is which batch of blades your rotor was made from, the tabs have been removed since mid last year from memory, so if the fan was built around then it could be from the first batch of blades which is ok, could be from the second which is not. Best to ask esprit if it was a rebuilt rotor from the recall or not.
Thanks for the information. I just got an email from Stu and it's a recent rotor. Now I just have to figure out how to get in there with a wrench to tighten down the 4 grubscrews from the rotor hub to the motor shaft. Advice?

Kent
RCG Plus Member