HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 27, 2011, 01:17 PM
Luzern/Switzerland
Joined Aug 2008
2,894 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tulz43 View Post
I don't think you understand my question... it has nothing to do with the plane.
I did, but can't answer it as I was referring to something else, otherwise I would have quoted you tulz

NS.
neversommer is offline Find More Posts by neversommer
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 27, 2011, 01:18 PM
Los Angeles, CA
Joined Sep 2007
1,774 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by neversommer View Post
I did, but can't answer it as I was referring to something else, otherwise I would have quoted you tulz

NS.
Haha - fair enough!
tulz43 is offline Find More Posts by tulz43
Old Sep 27, 2011, 01:22 PM
Luzern/Switzerland
Joined Aug 2008
2,894 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tulz43 View Post
Haha - fair enough!
See, just like that

Besides...I would know which thermal grease to use on Processors, but with motors I can't talk about it as I don't know.

The only thing I know is that once my mate bought some cheap thermal grease and thought it to be ok, but it was the complete opposite...rather more heat then heat dissipation.

He bought something more expensive which I recommend and then it worked out flawlessly, but that was for his CPU Processor.

I would not mind to give you some hints, but ask some people with experience, like Mark from Extreme RC or Stu directly.

They surely will let you know which one is good and which one rather not.

Best of luck Tulz.

NS.
neversommer is offline Find More Posts by neversommer
Old Sep 27, 2011, 01:52 PM
Dream Build Fly Scale
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Oct 2004
2,868 Posts
This is what I used on my Stu 100mm fan. Seems to be fine so far.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#3883k24/=e8wtm5

It's the silicone-free item 3883K24 for $11.70 at the bottom of the page.
strictlyscale is offline Find More Posts by strictlyscale
Old Sep 27, 2011, 05:06 PM
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
11,478 Posts
Thermal grease is messy stuff and I try to avoid it, if the motor is a nice slide in fit I dont use it, if there is any gap I wrap it in hi temp alloy foil until its a nice tight fit, been doing this on all my alloy housings and the heat transfer is instant. This is purely my choice, I am the one who has to cover the motors I install, so far I have not had to replace a motor from overheating in an alloy shroud...
Extreme_RC is offline Find More Posts by Extreme_RC
Old Sep 27, 2011, 08:04 PM
The blade numbers go up to 11
Sydney, Australia
Joined Aug 2002
4,380 Posts
Thermal grease is absolutely essential in these setups, any fan setup without it will have a hot running motor. There is between 0.1 and 0.2mm clearance between the motor case and motor tube, this has been sized to allow for some motors which have bulging ends due to the end caps being too tight a fit. This clearance is enough to allow for a very small amount of motor wobble if there are any resonant frequencies present, which will amplify and vibration. The addition of thermal grease dampens this, it also helps centre the motor in the motor tube, which is necessary for an even rotor tip clearance. Failure to do it this way can mean the tip clearance isn't uniform, which means when the blades stretch during running they will be more likely to hit the shroud more suddenly and in one place only, which could have an effect on rotor life. The new style of motor tubes don't have mounting lugs at the front to support the motor, they use 5 x M3 grubscrews just behind each stator blade plus a step in the front of the motor tube to locate the motor axially. With such a thin motor case (0.5mm) there isn't enough support to hold the motor adequately unless it's supported by the thermal grease as well. It's a complete system design, remove part of the system and there could be problems.

Stu.
stumax is offline Find More Posts by stumax
Old Sep 27, 2011, 08:31 PM
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
11,478 Posts
Thats fair enough Stu, the explanation of the new motor tube being slightly oversize to the motor and needing some sort of packing in this way, makes sense. But wont the motor move around over time from the pressures of running with only thermal paste in there? Any technical reason for removing the motor mounting tabs?
Extreme_RC is offline Find More Posts by Extreme_RC
Last edited by Extreme_RC; Sep 28, 2011 at 05:40 AM.
Old Oct 07, 2011, 04:22 PM
Hey Ya'll!! Watch THIS!!
Nashville TN.
Joined Mar 2006
2,555 Posts
Stu!!!
Hurry up with the 12s setup!!
I just got this jet and am putting parts together!
Need info!! Neeeeeeeed info!!
Michael Paxton is offline Find More Posts by Michael Paxton
Old Oct 09, 2011, 01:25 AM
Hey Ya'll!! Watch THIS!!
Nashville TN.
Joined Mar 2006
2,555 Posts
How about the HET 700-60 935 on 12 cell?
Think it would work?
Michael Paxton is offline Find More Posts by Michael Paxton
Old Oct 11, 2011, 06:52 PM
Joined Sep 2006
19 Posts
Hi Stu, could I get a fan and motor combo from you direct or should I use a dealer for the uk?
I sent an email request for paypal purchase just incase you do
ghettotige is offline Find More Posts by ghettotige
Old Oct 17, 2011, 10:46 PM
Keith Thomas
United States, NM, Portales
Joined Feb 2010
1,046 Posts
Anything new?
keithtsr is online now Find More Posts by keithtsr
Old Oct 19, 2011, 04:39 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Aug 2002
4,380 Posts
Sorry for not being around guys, I've been pretty ill since returning from China (got a mystery bug even the doctors can't diagnose), and busy renovating a house out in the country (dumb idea to do it ourselves.......).

Michael, I think the 935kV would work well, probably around 2.8-3kW peak on 12S 2500's, but sensible current levels. I'm probably going to try something like that as well.

Ghettotige, I can do a plug and play setup for you for sure. I do have a dealer in UK, Red Leader Composites.

To all you guys patiently waiting for fans, I finally have motors, caught HET by surprise as they didn't have enough 1738kV motors in stock and had to rush out and wind up a bunch more for me. Fans will begin to ship in a few days now as I begin to assemble and test run them.

BTW, I did an interesting test for the Mythbusters crew. I got two SM80-45 rotors, one with 0.5mm tip clearance, one with 1.5mm tip clearance. Same motor etc, 10 minutes apart, exactly the same thrust vs power. The only difference was the 0.5mm tip clearance one was noticeably louder.

Stu.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 04:51 PM
Spoooooon!
San Fernando Valley, California, United States
Joined May 2003
3,786 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumax View Post
BTW, I did an interesting test for the Mythbusters crew. I got two SM80-45 rotors, one with 0.5mm tip clearance, one with 1.5mm tip clearance. Same motor etc, 10 minutes apart, exactly the same thrust vs power. The only difference was the 0.5mm tip clearance one was noticeably louder.

Stu.
That is interesting. Do you know when the show will air?
TheTick is offline Find More Posts by TheTick
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Energic
Old Oct 19, 2011, 05:03 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Aug 2002
4,380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTick View Post
That is interesting. Do you know when the show will air?
Well, actually it was just for the EDF Mythbusters crew, who don't actually exist, but are all in our heads, you know, that voice which says, "gotta do it this way or it'll never work". I've done the test before, but have had a few people comment on the tip clearance I put on the 89-45's, looks a lot, but doesn't hurt performance at all. I even tested an SM100-45 rotor in a 110-45 shroud once. Got similar thrust to a 110-45 on the same power, that's with 5mm tip clearance. Figure that one out.

Stu.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 01:31 AM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
that would open a huge debate on here. LOL.
LuvEvolution7 is offline Find More Posts by LuvEvolution7