HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 08, 2011, 04:43 PM
Joined Aug 2010
171 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumax View Post
Red leader Composites is my closest dealer to you. He doesn't have any at the moment, but if you ask he may order one. Failing that you can order direct.

The mounting lugs are on the centreline of the fan. I don't drill the holes as I don't know what holes are already in your mounting rails from other fans, can't have two holes accidentally ending up just next to each other.

Stu.
Thanks Stu. Chris is currently emptying my wallet into a Tazor with one of your 100-45 fans. Once it has recovered I will talk to him about an 80mm fan for my Habu, that is if I don't end up having to sell it to help fund the Tazor

By the way, this new 80 looks and sounds fantastic. I am sure it will be a huge success. Especially with Eflite launching more 80 sized models.

Andrew
wearypanda is offline Find More Posts by wearypanda
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 08, 2011, 04:55 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
Stu, did you ever get a dealer up and running in Canada? I know I talked with you about it last year, but don't recall if you ever got an affiliation going or not.

Rich
LuvEvolution7 is offline Find More Posts by LuvEvolution7
Old Sep 08, 2011, 06:40 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
197 Posts
Hey Stu, do you think this will fit into your F104?

Nice looking unit, again.
teamkaos is offline Find More Posts by teamkaos
Old Sep 08, 2011, 07:55 PM
Watt me worry?
Florida
Joined Mar 2006
3,627 Posts
There it is a little brother to my 110.........thanks Stu...........my upgrade for the Habu.....
Nice very quite the way I like it.........I agree that my edf flying will be on 6s from now on.....just makes lots of sense and the Habu/Stumax is a good choice.
Madmax1965 is offline Find More Posts by Madmax1965
Last edited by Madmax1965; Sep 08, 2011 at 08:08 PM.
Old Sep 09, 2011, 01:06 AM
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
11,355 Posts
Good timing as I have been getting requests for an 80mm Habu replacement and was looking to cut down a wemo for a custom shroud. Have placed order for new fans and will have them in stock soon as possible. All the corresponding HET motors will also be in stock as of next week.
Extreme_RC is offline Find More Posts by Extreme_RC
Old Sep 09, 2011, 08:07 AM
Sydney Kingsford, Australia
Joined Oct 2001
525 Posts
Stu is too modest!

Having personally witnessed the first three flights of his new SM80-45 in the Habu, I can say that Stu's comment that it goes "pretty good" is akin to saying the surface of the sun is "pretty warm"!

Whilst the videos show part of the story, in real-life the SM-80 was exceptionally quiet as it propelled the Habu effortlessly through some really huge verticals. This is an example of the perfect match of powerplant and airframe, all the more impressive when you realize that the swept area of this fan is only about 15% more than your typical 70mm fan!

I can't wait to see some of the models this fan finds a home in - from what I witnessed the other day I do believe that curiously this 80mm design has struck a real "sweet-spot", and may be destined to power a much wider spread of model sizes than Stu had originally envisaged.....

For me, this is the perfect fan unit for scale EDF jets of sensible size. I'm really excited by what I saw (and heard), and am eager to get the CAD cranked up again and output some designs for this little gem. No longer do we have to suffer the high-pitched banshee wail normally associated with the smaller fan units - hallelujah!

Congratulations again Stu. Love your work!!

Cheers,

Graham
greddin is offline Find More Posts by greddin
Old Sep 09, 2011, 08:39 AM
Molde, Norway
Joined Jan 2001
2,430 Posts
Two of these in a decently sized F-5 kinda makes perfect sense.
Arngeir Blakseth is offline Find More Posts by Arngeir Blakseth
Old Sep 09, 2011, 08:40 AM
Luzern/Switzerland
Joined Aug 2008
2,894 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by greddin View Post
Stu is too modest!

Having personally witnessed the first three flights of his new SM80-45 in the Habu, I can say that Stu's comment that it goes "pretty good" is akin to saying the surface of the sun is "pretty warm"!

Whilst the videos show part of the story, in real-life the SM-80 was exceptionally quiet as it propelled the Habu effortlessly through some really huge verticals. This is an example of the perfect match of powerplant and airframe, all the more impressive when you realize that the swept area of this fan is only about 15% more than your typical 70mm fan!

I can't wait to see some of the models this fan finds a home in - from what I witnessed the other day I do believe that curiously this 80mm design has struck a real "sweet-spot", and may be destined to power a much wider spread of model sizes than Stu had originally envisaged.....

For me, this is the perfect fan unit for scale EDF jets of sensible size. I'm really excited by what I saw (and heard), and am eager to get the CAD cranked up again and output some designs for this little gem. No longer do we have to suffer the high-pitched banshee wail normally associated with the smaller fan units - hallelujah!

Congratulations again Stu. Love your work!!

Cheers,

Graham
Spot on and Amen to that Graham.

The sound is truly out of this world for this size of a jet!

No more screaming! No more alerts from the airbase due to high frequency tones..

This ladies and gentleman is .....

the Future of EDF Flying!

I had a blast watching this videos and I am having a blast to see the success that stu takes to a quite rare but unique and more and more popular setup that E-Flite has setup: 80MM Fans!

NS.
neversommer is offline Find More Posts by neversommer
Old Sep 09, 2011, 09:37 AM
who dares wins
London,England
Joined Apr 2005
1,739 Posts
What is the weight of the complete fan less motor?
like2fly! is offline Find More Posts by like2fly!
Old Sep 09, 2011, 03:13 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
I'm looking forward to putting this fan in our ogive delta, called the Chimera. it's a group designed delta over on the Scratchbuilt EDF forum, if you haven't seen it. it's a sleek design, meant to go fast and I believe this fan will make it do just that. I'm deffinitely going to be ordering one.
LuvEvolution7 is offline Find More Posts by LuvEvolution7
Old Sep 09, 2011, 09:42 PM
Hey Ya'll!! Watch THIS!!
Nashville TN.
Joined Mar 2006
2,555 Posts
I want one. Like now if possible. How do I get one?
Michael Paxton is offline Find More Posts by Michael Paxton
Old Sep 09, 2011, 09:45 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
20,868 Posts
oooooooooh yeah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arngeir Blakseth View Post
Two of these in a decently sized F-5 kinda makes perfect sense.
corsair nut is online now Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Sep 19, 2011, 04:27 PM
Los Angeles, CA
Joined Sep 2007
1,733 Posts
Hey Stu - I just got the last one of the ten you sent Billy. I wanted to wait for you to build a pnp one but I couldn't wait any longer. Does the fan come with any instructions? I'm just wondering about applying the thermal grease.
tulz43 is offline Find More Posts by tulz43
Old Sep 19, 2011, 04:41 PM
Molde, Norway
Joined Jan 2001
2,430 Posts
Search for the SM89 and SM100 manual in the thread for those fans, should be the same deal as the SM80 just a cut down version. Basically you want to apply a thin coat of thermal grease to both the inside of the motor tube and the outside of the motor can. Apply too much and you will have a mess to clean up after getting the motor in place...
Arngeir Blakseth is offline Find More Posts by Arngeir Blakseth
Old Sep 19, 2011, 04:50 PM
Los Angeles, CA
Joined Sep 2007
1,733 Posts
Thanks!

Anyone have a recommendation for a brand of thermal grease here in the states?
tulz43 is offline Find More Posts by tulz43