HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 08, 2011, 09:14 AM
Joined Nov 2005
191 Posts
Discussion
Help me to shoose!! Futaba 12FGA or Multiplex Royal Pro 16

Hi everyone,

After a 4 years of absence, I am back into DLG. I need a new radio and decided to get one of the 2.4GHz systems. (having glitches with 72MHz in my area) But which one?? I did all kind of searches on this forum, still I am not much smarter.
Anyway I have a 72MHz Multiplex Royal Evo trx which I love so one of my choice would be the Multiplex Royal Pro 16 with M-link etc. I could not find too much information on the Multiplex receivers, they have the RX-5 light and the RX-6 micro light receivers, any experience with any of these??
My other choice would be the Futaba 12FGA radio with the R6106HFC receiver. This is I think better known in here (US).
The prices are very similar for these systems. I primarily would use it for DLG and F3B.
I would appreciate any thought, thanks
csocso is offline Find More Posts by csocso
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 08, 2011, 10:33 AM
Joined Jan 2008
4,436 Posts
csocso:

Here's a thought: purchase a 2.4 module for your EVO.

The instructions to hack it are in RCGroups, and include Hitech, Futaba and others. The hack is hardly that, takes minutes, and works! The process is: build a simple harness, remove the original transmitter module and antenna (no tools), insert the new components. How would I know? Guess.

I chose Hitec, and have converted all my airplanes to Hitec 2.4. I have had no problems once I figured out the binding process. Hitec is especially nice for DLG since the smaller receivers use a single antenna. Yes, there is a blivet on the end of the antenna, but it is easily removed, without apparent impact on performance. On my Taboos, with carbon pods, I ran the whisker out a hole in the bottom (after reinforcing the antenna with heat shrink). I have a Blaster 3 now, and the antenna whisker is curled on top of the battery, under kevlar, and works fine.

Many people prefer other brands than Multiplex, and are quite loyal for good reason: what they have, works. So, don't be afraid to try your favorite brand module in your EVO.

My EVO-9 (roughly six years old, now) is still serviced without question by Hitec, even with the Hitec 2.4 module inserted.

Good luck.

Yours, Greg
glidermang is offline Find More Posts by glidermang
Last edited by glidermang; Sep 08, 2011 at 10:39 AM.
Old Sep 08, 2011, 11:02 AM
Joined Nov 2005
191 Posts
yes, I thought about a new - 2.4GHz - module, however I would like to keep my 72Mhz transmitter functional having a bunch of 72Mhz receivers in multiple models. Plus one of the switches is broken -thanks to my son - so I was thinking about a new transmitter anyway.
Old Sep 08, 2011, 08:01 PM
Joined Jan 2008
4,436 Posts
csocso:

In that case, it's easy: Futaba.

Futaba is available here in the US; Multiplex radios are no longer marketed here.

Yours, Greg
Old Sep 08, 2011, 11:52 PM
Joined Jan 2008
63 Posts
Hi, Glidermang.

Sorry but i canīt find info on hacking an Evo with Hitec 2.4 module. Where can i find the intructions to hack??

thanks!
calvinalberto is offline Find More Posts by calvinalberto
Old Sep 09, 2011, 12:45 AM
Where is the lift?
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Nov 2005
6,370 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by calvinalberto View Post
Hi, Glidermang.

Sorry but i canīt find info on hacking an Evo with Hitec 2.4 module. Where can i find the intructions to hack??

thanks!
Multiplex Evo 2.4 conversion w/Hitec AFHSS (Digital interface update)

Charlie
cptsnoopy is offline Find More Posts by cptsnoopy
Old Sep 09, 2011, 08:04 AM
Joined Jan 2008
4,436 Posts
Thanks, Charlie!

calvinalberto:

It's easy - once you've acquired the connectors and pins, just follow along. For a while, Hitec was offering two receivers with every transmitter module. For DLG, be sure to look for the Optima-6 "Lite", and save a few grams.

Good luck.

Yours, Greg
Old Sep 09, 2011, 08:09 AM
Joined Nov 2005
191 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by glidermang View Post
csocso:

In that case, it's easy: Futaba.

Futaba is available here in the US; Multiplex radios are no longer marketed here.

Yours, Greg
That's true, howevere you can order them from www.electricwingman.com.
Any bad experience with Futaba?
Old Sep 09, 2011, 08:51 AM
Joined Jan 2008
63 Posts
Many thanks!!

Probably is more easy than i think...

Thanks Greg and Charlie.
calvinalberto is offline Find More Posts by calvinalberto
Old Sep 09, 2011, 10:08 AM
Where is the lift?
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Nov 2005
6,370 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by csocso View Post
That's true, howevere you can order them from www.electricwingman.com.
Any bad experience with Futaba?
I have been flying my DLG's with an Evo12 for the last couple of years. My other fixed wing and heli radio was a DX-7 but it is getting old and I don't really have much faith in DSM2. So to replace the DX-7 I bought a new 8FG super. Nice radio but I can't stand the programming. That is because I have not really learned how to use it yet. I felt the same way about the Evo12 when I first got it too. Now after using the Evo12 for so long I am not ready to switch any of my gliders over to the 8FG. I have tried it but I don't like it as well. The buttons on the Evo are much better suited to momentary launch mode use compared to a 2 or 3 position switch.

Also, I use a Hobbico Futaba FASST module in my Evo12. I have had no troubles with it since I put it in (December 2009). Click on my screen name to take a look at my blog. There are pictures and details. The Hobbico brand FASST module stopped selling in the USA earlier this year but it is also sold under the Robbe and RipMax brand for a lower price. I can pull it out of my Evo12 in less than a minute and put my 72mhz stuff back in even quicker. To prevent wear and tear though, I would recommend having a dedicated Evo for 2.4 FASST and another for 72.

NOTE: Evo PRO transmitters with firmware higher than 2.62 will not work with any analog module using the module header in the transmitter! So, you could not use the FASST module or a Spektrum module unless the Evo PRO was reprogrammed with 2.62 or lower firmware...

Charlie
cptsnoopy is offline Find More Posts by cptsnoopy
Old Sep 09, 2011, 01:15 PM
Joined May 2011
18 Posts
I've had my 12fg a couple of years now and am very happy with it. I'm new to DLGs, but have been flying helicopters with it with no problems. Programming is very flexible, but not the most intuitive in my opinion.

Someone with a lot more DLG experience than me offers some comments on the 12fg here which you may find useful.
Stellaship is offline Find More Posts by Stellaship
Old Sep 10, 2011, 05:25 AM
London, UK
Joined Jan 2009
581 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stellaship View Post
I've had my 12fg a couple of years now and am very happy with it. I'm new to DLGs, but have been flying helicopters with it with no problems. Programming is very flexible, but not the most intuitive in my opinion.

Someone with a lot more DLG experience than me offers some comments on the 12fg here which you may find useful.
I don't have a bad word to say about my 12FG - completely dependable.

I don't know whether it would fulfil your F3B requirements, but the 8FG is a great radio for DLG (a few people I fly with use it). Feature wise, it's very close to the 12FG, it's lighter, and it's much cheaper! If I had to buy again today, that's what I'd get.

Jony
JonyEpsilon is offline Find More Posts by JonyEpsilon
Old Sep 10, 2011, 11:12 AM
Congress, AZ
Joined Sep 2001
4,920 Posts
Hold the radios in your hand. Figure out which switches need to be used when flying hlg.

Buy the one that has the best switch positions. That's Multliplex.

Charlie is correct. IMHO, the Evo has the lowest pilot workload, period.

Anyone want to buy a brand new Airtronics?

Gary

Opinions will vary
GaryO is offline Find More Posts by GaryO
Old Sep 12, 2011, 11:58 PM
I do this for fun!
Sunshine Coast, Australia
Joined Sep 2004
1,197 Posts
I'm using the 12FG for both DLG and F3B (not currently sadly).

I think you'll find either just as good for DLG, but for F3B the 12FG has a significant advantage. That is, it has 8 Flight Conditions/Modes like the MC-24 which is the most popular F3B Tx worldwide.

Basically the more conditions you have the better you can optimise glider performance for the 4 F3B tasks (I include launching as its own task here because it is so important), and F3B is all about optimising performance.

The 12FG has 3 other features that make it the better choice imho; 1 - side sliders, 2 - easier programming, 3 - FASST (ultimate reliability)

They are both good radios, just the 12FG has an edge I believe.
skyboyken is offline Find More Posts by skyboyken