SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 08, 2011, 03:07 AM
Joined Aug 2007
4,107 Posts
Discussion
Erics Harrier

Didn't know he was still working on it just last year.

This is the best circuit I have seen of his ship so far. Looks nice and smooth.

Erics RC Harrier 2010 Oct 11 flies one circuit (1 min 24 sec)
RCvertt is offline Find More Posts by RCvertt
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Chupacabra sighting !!!
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 08, 2011, 05:33 AM
United States, IN, Granger
Joined Jan 2003
3,105 Posts
woow ... didn't know that either ,,, good find
v22chap is online now Find More Posts by v22chap
Old Sep 08, 2011, 04:40 PM
Joined Aug 2007
4,107 Posts
Woudn't mind seeing some close up shots of the inside. I still have the model RC article that showed the one he made using the fuselage from Yellow Aircraft. It shows lots of close up shots but you still can't really see how he attached the swivel nozzle joints. Cutting the tops off of aerosol cans that had plastic tops that would spin around fairly easily is the closest I have come to finding something that might work.

I wonder if EDF units would put out equivalent static thrust now. I imagine the duration might not be as long but maybe there is enough for a one circuit test. There would be a lot less vibration with an EDF.

Looks like he is using a lot of CF in the wings and tail. I wonder how much lighter it would be if the fuse was done in CF and foam?

Anyone know how much static thrust he is kicking of that fan? Also wondering how much his motor, fan, and fuel weighs.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by RCvertt; Sep 08, 2011 at 08:22 PM.
Old Sep 08, 2011, 05:41 PM
Joined Oct 2004
2,770 Posts
the easiest way, I think, is to just put a shaft centred in the duct around which the outer portion will rotate. It will cause a little drag, but it can be reduced by streamlining. And the model version does not have to deal with hot exhaust gases and bearing leaks that would be disastrous on the full size
Brandano is offline Find More Posts by Brandano
Old Sep 08, 2011, 08:30 PM
Joined Aug 2007
4,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandano View Post
the easiest way, I think, is to just put a shaft centred in the duct around which the outer portion will rotate. It will cause a little drag, but it can be reduced by streamlining. And the model version does not have to deal with hot exhaust gases and bearing leaks that would be disastrous on the full size
If it overlaps by two inches or more I suppose that would work.

These turbine/EDF combos are looking interesting as a power source.

This Dynamax system looks like it has some nice thrust numbers for the price. Wish they would give some numbers on how long those thrust numbers can be sustained. 29+ pounds for 2 seconds doesn't do us much good.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 11, 2011, 04:30 AM
Joined Aug 2007
4,107 Posts
Here another one I hope is still being worked on. At least the website if fairly recent from last year. Hope all RC Harrier development didn't stop last year.

http://web.archive.org/web/201009250...m/harrier2.php

Looks like they have enough thrust for VTOL. They just need to throw a MultiWii board in it now.
RCG Plus Member