HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 07, 2011, 09:55 PM
Joined Sep 2011
15 Posts
Help!
Need help on building a rc aircraft

Hello everyone, as you can see i am new to this forum/website.
I found this website by accident, but anyways, i need help on building an rc plane from scratch. I never built any rc airplanes, so i am new to this. I dont want to start from kits because i find them expensive and i dont like them. I couldnt find any guides on this website. any instructions, or links to some guides would be helpful. I prefer on making a fuel powered plane. or if you can post some of the planes you made and with some step by step instructions on how to build one then that would be nice

thank you
WildMaster is offline Find More Posts by WildMaster
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 07, 2011, 11:55 PM
United States, MO, Springfield
Joined Jul 2010
3,483 Posts
well i have bad news
first id learn to fly in with an ARF or RTF
then id look in to a kit
THEN build from plans then from scratch

if you dont know much about flying or aircraft to start with you really should learn about them first its not as easy as just glueing some wood togeather
Elios000 is offline Find More Posts by Elios000
Old Sep 08, 2011, 02:56 AM
Staffs, UK
Joined Nov 2003
10,248 Posts
Lots of information about building at http://www.airfieldmodels.com/inform...urce/index.htm

And of course hundreds of threads about specific builds on this site if you just look round a bit.

But you'll need an awful lot of luck and skill to put one together successfully with no previous knowledge and even more luck to actually get it flying.

All the best - Steve
slipstick is online now Find More Posts by slipstick
Old Sep 08, 2011, 06:04 AM
Hamburger Eatin' Fool
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,179 Posts
If you think kits are expensive, wait until you build something from scratch.

Kits include pieces, besides wood, that make the build go easier, and save the builder money.

What, exactly, (besides price) don't you like about kits. In my opinion, they are an excellent way to get started in the hobby.
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old Sep 08, 2011, 08:16 AM
Fueled by Arabica Beans
United States, NY, Syracuse
Joined Oct 2008
3,836 Posts
The engine and radio will cost far more than the kit, you would be far better off starting with a trainer kit (forget about building something more exciting until you learn to fly). You will never find a full description of how to build a plane from scratch, plans makers expect that you can build the plane by just reading the plans, but kits come with step by step instructions and plans.
ChillPhatCat is offline Find More Posts by ChillPhatCat
Old Sep 08, 2011, 11:12 AM
Joined Sep 2011
15 Posts
Thank you all for you quick replies. unfortunately you guys are right, that it would be very hard to build a rc plane without exp. however, i still plan on building one. And the reason i dont like kits is complicated. basically i dont like them because they provide you everything you need which takes the fun out of it. but then again its best to start with a kit because they provide you everything. lol.but i found this thread, http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1386754 and i think i might start building that first because its a foamie and imo its easier to start with them. However, i do have few questions on building that. First, how do i connect the transmitter that goes on the plane to control the servos from my radio? And do you know a website that i can order parts from?
Thank you for your help
Old Sep 08, 2011, 01:50 PM
United States, MO, Springfield
Joined Jul 2010
3,483 Posts
no really get a arf learn about the hobby first then move to kits then build your own

unless you want lots of trail an error (and crashing)

do you know were to put the CG? lateral CG? how much thrust? thrust line off set?
Elios000 is offline Find More Posts by Elios000
Old Sep 09, 2011, 04:02 AM
SF Valley RC Flyers
Joined Feb 2010
284 Posts
adfadfads
Killionaire is offline Find More Posts by Killionaire
Last edited by Killionaire; Sep 09, 2011 at 07:34 AM.
Old Sep 09, 2011, 06:41 AM
Letchworth, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jul 2004
11,432 Posts
If you're really intent on building from plan, this one might be okay for you http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ht=trainer+one
abenn is offline Find More Posts by abenn
Old Sep 09, 2011, 09:44 AM
Joined Sep 2011
15 Posts
thank you, i might try the trainer one airplane.
Thanks everyone for your help.
Old Sep 09, 2011, 10:27 AM
SF Valley RC Flyers
Joined Feb 2010
284 Posts
Books on RC planes
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0093p?&C=ZAJ
Killionaire is offline Find More Posts by Killionaire
Old Sep 09, 2011, 06:16 PM
Fueled by Arabica Beans
United States, NY, Syracuse
Joined Oct 2008
3,836 Posts
Just so you know, there is almost nothing to be gained from building a foamie from scratch as far as building experience goes. All you will be able to take away from it is how to connect the electronics. You will still have nothing toward learning to build a balsa model. Surely you can stomache one build from a balsa kit before pouring hundreds of dollars into a scratch build. If you spend a couple hours a day you can have a kit together in a couple weeks.
ChillPhatCat is offline Find More Posts by ChillPhatCat
Old Sep 10, 2011, 03:46 AM
Joined Sep 2011
11 Posts
I learnt the hobby many years ago by building from free magazine plans. I made wings from free foam I scrounged from throw away old shop fridges, they have very thick foam for insulation. I purchased balsa, glue etc and learnt to make many of the components such as fuel tanks myself. I love building, dislike kits, however when I got back into the hobby after 10 years away I bought a low wing kit at a very cheap price (phoenix scanner AUD$100)...it was good value, but I prefer to scratch build. I suggest you do what you want and practice scratch building. See if you can score some free plans from magazines....look in second hand book shops etc. Read as many articles as you can on making things yourself, such as pushrods, tanks, engine mounts etc. Most of the model can be self built. The greatest challenge IMO is building light, that takes lots of practice.

Just finished this model, yet to fly. Self designed, plan drawn on butchers paper in about one hour, a while to build though - teaching my son. No rudder, only ailerons, elevator and throttle, fuel tank made from mustard tin, .15 size, 3 ft wingspan.

Cheers
Mark
theNEWT is offline Find More Posts by theNEWT
Old Sep 10, 2011, 06:54 AM
Joined Sep 2011
15 Posts
wow that is a very nice plane. thank you for your help. i have found a plane with plans(that is foambuilt) and i will plan to build it. may i ask how did you paint your plane?
Old Sep 10, 2011, 08:00 AM
Joined Sep 2011
11 Posts
Foam will be interesting....good luck. Thanks, believe me, I'm a pretty rough builder. I tend not to fuss too much, hence I'd never make a quality scale builder. I love flying though and my models tend to get worn out, especially considering the outback bush places I fly. Covering is cheap heat shrink from China.

CHEERS
Mark
theNEWT is offline Find More Posts by theNEWT