HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 07, 2011, 06:16 PM
Joined Sep 2011
6 Posts
Question
Anything better than Brookstone coax heli?

Just purchased my first RC heli. Played with one at Brookstone and had to have it. Anyway i I've been looking around and there seems to be similar models for a lot less money but I was wondering if this is as good as it gets for indoor flying. What will a different model with better radio offer that I don't already have with the Brookstone heli? I'm really happy with it but wondering what my next upgrade path should be. Indoor flying is a requirement. The heli i have is called cloud force something. U control.
nuggetz is offline Find More Posts by nuggetz
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 07, 2011, 06:50 PM
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum!
PRC (People's Republic of Commiefornia)
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
you can do much better than that overpriced toy heli. It is nothing more than a cheap 3 CH coaxial infrared controlled toy heli. There are so many of those sub-micro class, 3 channel IR toy helis, and can be had as cheap as $10 shipped, all you have to do is look. These toys have become so common of recent times, that they can be purchased at the most mainstream places such as Costco, JC Penneys, Amazon, Newegg, etc. Just recently, costco had a very nice Syma rebranded S105G for $19.49, which included lots of spare parts, and a USB charger cable so you don't have to waste your transmitter batteries to charge the heli.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...3&postcount=32

One of the more popular 3 CH sub micro coaxial IR helis is the Syma S107 can be seen on sale commonly for under $22 including shipping, and on occasion as low as $10-$15 including shipping.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1176146
http://www.amazon.com/Syma-S107-S107...5439252&sr=1-4

I have a dozen different models of this cheap 3 CH sub micro ciaxial IR controlled class , and most of them were purchased for between $15 and $20. I treat them as cheap disposable toys, that's why I would never pay more than about $25 for any one. If you are interested in acquiring some of these toys for very reasonable prices, keep your on this thread, which is dedicated to bargains:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1361941
Doubletap is offline Find More Posts by Doubletap
Old Sep 07, 2011, 08:00 PM
Joined Sep 2011
6 Posts
I hear you and after some research I agree that the Brookstone version is probably overpriced but I'm interested in whether or not the "cheaper" one will fly any better. Looked at some hi res pics and they look pretty much identical. Granted, a USB charger cable would have been nice but I did get some replacement parts with it and it works really well.

The reason I opened this thread is to find out if there's a step up in terms of performance or maneuverability. Can coaxial helis fly sideways? What do additional channels buy me? So far my "cheap" IR controller works just fine indoors and I dont have to point at the heli so I'm interested in what you all might consider a good upgrade to this heli.
Old Sep 07, 2011, 08:28 PM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined May 2008
2,574 Posts
I'd suggest you look at a 4ch, single rotor, 45deg head micro like the blade msr or solo pro. While more expensive they use 2.4ghz radio, have the 4th channel to fly sideways (aileron) and msr parts are available at any good hobby store.

The two above are hobby grade, not toys so expect to pay more.
Druss is offline Find More Posts by Druss
Old Sep 07, 2011, 09:50 PM
Joined Sep 2011
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Druss View Post
I'd suggest you look at a 4ch, single rotor, 45deg head micro like the blade msr or solo pro. While more expensive they use 2.4ghz radio, have the 4th channel to fly sideways (aileron) and msr parts are available at any good hobby store.

The two above are hobby grade, not toys so expect to pay more.
Could something like that be flown indoors or would it be bouncing off the walls?
Old Sep 07, 2011, 09:52 PM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined May 2008
2,574 Posts
Easily, look up some youtube videos. I fly mine indoors all the time, it's my winter go to heli. plus, they don't have enough weight or head speed to leave marks on the walls (assuming you cut the throttle) and are very durable.
Druss is offline Find More Posts by Druss
Old Sep 07, 2011, 10:46 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,465 Posts
+1 for what Druss said.
Balr14 is online now Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Sep 08, 2011, 03:11 AM
Joined Jul 2011
252 Posts
Blade coaxial helicopter