HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 08, 2011, 05:31 PM
Joined Feb 2008
2,657 Posts
Here's one:

http://www.wisconsin.edu/oslp/em/com...y_leadacid.htm

Quote:
Nationally, 2300 people are injured each year using lead acid batteries. Acid burns to the face and eyes comprise about 50% of these injuries as these batteries can easily explode. The remaining injuries were mostly due to lifting or dropping batteries as they are quite heavy.
Dave H. is online now Find More Posts by Dave H.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 08, 2011, 05:49 PM
Ochroma Lagopus Tekton
Blackstock, South Carolina
Joined Sep 2007
1,827 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhunter
Every time I've needed a new one, the car would get harder and harder to start. You could hear the battery getting weak because the engine would turn over more and more slowly the longer I ignored replacing it. Especially if it was cold out. The good thing was I had plenty of time/notice to swap it out when this started. At least a few weeks before it wouldn't start at the end of a work day. Don't ask me how I know and/or why I pushed it for so long.
Really? What brand do you buy? I get no such warning, mine ave all worked like new up until their next to last start. The very next time I try and start the truck they're completely dead, all at once and nothing first. Seriously, it can barely even actuate the relay at this point, I keep thinking that something is wrong with my ignition, but every time it has been the battery! And it has been way with every brand I've put in it.
Fly Wheel is offline Find More Posts by Fly Wheel
Old Sep 08, 2011, 05:58 PM
Malibu Ca
Joined Feb 2000
739 Posts
I have the Duralast batteries, I think where I went wrong is letting the voltage drop below 10 volts. I just recently found out your not supposed to go below 10 volts, at that point you start damaging the battery.
Eddy is offline Find More Posts by Eddy
Old Sep 08, 2011, 05:58 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2011
1,197 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly Wheel View Post
Really? What brand do you buy? I get no such warning, mine ave all worked like new up until their next to last start. The very next time I try and start the truck they're completely dead, all at once and nothing first. Seriously, it can barely even actuate the relay at this point, I keep thinking that something is wrong with my ignition, but every time it has been the battery! And it has been way with every brand I've put in it.
I buy the Autozone Duralast Gold batteries. Complete replacement for the first three years and pro-rated after to that to eight years. I've had good luck with them. The last one lasted 8 years in a Honda CRV and 1.5 of those years was sitting in storage while I was stationed overseas. It went through plenty of freezing cold New England winters and hot Florida summers before it gave up the ghost.
mhunter is offline Find More Posts by mhunter
Old Sep 09, 2011, 07:05 AM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
20,695 Posts
Go to Walmart and have it tested. They can tell how good it is by the voltage drop under load.
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Old Sep 09, 2011, 08:29 AM
Mach 1
walterboro s.c.u.s.a
Joined Jun 2004
750 Posts
The only real way to check a car battery is ,charge at 6 amps for 8 hours,let cool Then check the specific gravity in each cell.I worked in the battery industry.Each cell should be around 1250 ,if memory serves me well.
pathfinder is online now Find More Posts by pathfinder
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nice
Old Sep 09, 2011, 01:58 PM
United States, TX, Spring
Joined Jul 2011
267 Posts
Glad to see some of you guys do research on what is the best battery out there to buy.
The Durlast Gold battery is second from the top.
The Top rated battery on the Market is the Sears Die Hard Platinum battery. But, the cost of this particular battery is a staggaring $210-220.00!! However, it is a dry cell (Glass mat) type battery with full plates that go accross the inside of the battery.
Has a 4yr free replacement warranty and then after that you get a pro-rated warranty of 4yrs and 4 months.
If you want the deep cycle version of this battery get prepared to dish out $280 + tax.
The only negative things about this battery are, the price, limited group sizes available, and the weight of these batteries. They are very heavy! About 15 lbs heavier than your standard type automotive batteries.

Just thought you guys should know.

This info came from Consumer Reports if any of you were wondering.

Jim
Wornpiston is offline Find More Posts by Wornpiston
Old Sep 09, 2011, 02:09 PM
Joined Jul 2011
267 Posts
There are comprehensive type battery load testers that can also tell you the current condition of your battery under a load test graph that is performed for about a minute on the battery. These are usually not your typical hand held battery load tester that just tells you if the battery is good or bad.
These types of battery testers are typically found in well known automotive shops.
Price for one of these types of battery testers range from $500-$4,000.00.
Sears uses the one that costs $4,000.00 believe it or not.
Just an FYI before you head over to your local parts store or Wally world for a basic questionable battery test.

Jim
Old Sep 09, 2011, 02:17 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2011
1,197 Posts
What's the big deal with these "battery testers"? Either it works reliably (i.e. energetically)...or it doesn't... Every time I've need a new battery and knowing its age/history, I knew it was either going or gone. Didn't need any "test" to tell me that.
Old Sep 09, 2011, 02:41 PM
Joined Jul 2011
267 Posts
They arent just regular battery testers. They actually check your vehicles entire charging system at idle, mid, to upper rpms, under load and without loads. They have amperage meters that get connected to various points on the vehicle.
How would you know your cars charging system is working "reliably" or not?
That's why technology gives us electronic tools and testing equipment to use.
You must be the car psychic!! Wow! You could make lots of money telling people loads of crap!
Some people know it all.....

Jim
Old Sep 09, 2011, 02:42 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2011
1,197 Posts
I just diagnose and fix anything on those systems myself.
Old Sep 09, 2011, 08:46 PM
Frankenstein recycled packs
USA, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Jan 2006
8,703 Posts
mhunter, how old are you? I have had several batteries just go out without a warning in my lifetime. Maybe its an age/life experiences thing?

Rick
rampman is offline Find More Posts by rampman
Old Sep 10, 2011, 09:09 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2011
1,197 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rampman View Post
mhunter, how old are you? I have had several batteries just go out without a warning in my lifetime. Maybe its an age/life experiences thing?

Rick
42. Old enough for ya?
Old Sep 11, 2011, 04:53 PM
Joined Jul 2011
267 Posts
Your age doesnt make you smarter nor wiser than testing equipment.
Some older people are just hard headed and "think" they know it all. Unfortunately, with the sophistication of todays automobiles, it's just not easily diagnosed as the cars of yesteryear.
Your age is irrelevant to this post's question.
Like I said, your a psychic huh?

Jim
Old Sep 11, 2011, 04:58 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2011
1,197 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wornpiston View Post
Your age is irrelevant to this post's question.

Like I said, your a psychic huh?
It's directly related to the questions asked of me in post #27. You might be more credible if you actually knew the difference between "your" and "you're", as well as being able to follow a train of thought (i.e. thread)...