HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 07, 2011, 08:48 AM
USA, MD, Hagerstown
Joined Jun 2009
3,357 Posts
Discussion
Fokker DR1 ARF

Looking for one in the 60-70" w/s range. Is there such a thing out there? Only thing I have found so far are ARF's under 40" and some plans for 1/3 and 1/4 scale scratch builders. Somehow I don't think a tri-plane would be a good choice as a first scratch build, probably not even a good first kit build.
My club does have some great builders though so if a kit is available I might be willing to try, then beg for help when I need it.
V2rider is online now Find More Posts by V2rider
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 07, 2011, 09:02 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Mar 2009
1,439 Posts
It's as good as any choice for a first build. At least you'll get heaps of wing building parctice.

As far as I know, there is only this available as an ARF.

http://www.nitroplanes.com/gasfodr5590s.html

And it aint much chop.

It's not the difficulty of the build, but whether you are capable of flying it.

I had all sorts of ideas as to what I would be flying when I started.

Nearly two years down the track, I am still flying a trainer, and have yet to finish any of the build projects I have started. Two are scarily near finished though.

I say scarily, because somebody a whole lot better than I am at flying is going to have to maiden them.

Hugh
MerlinV is offline Find More Posts by MerlinV
Old Sep 07, 2011, 09:34 AM
USA, MD, Hagerstown
Joined Jun 2009
3,357 Posts
I would never say I'm a great pilot, not even really good yet. I'm average I guess. But I sort of learned the hard way. Self taught on Warbirds. Started out with PZ foam and started adding E-Flite Balsa last year. I have the E-Flite Rhapsody and the H9 fokker DVII for bi-planes. Both great flying planes. The current go to planes are the H9 50 size Corsair and DVII. I can fit both in the car without breaking down the Corsair, and they are both a ton of fun to fly. I guess I'm thinking as nice as the DVII flys that a DR1 can't be that bad. Wouldn't be the first, or last time I was wrong though.
Last edited by V2rider; Sep 07, 2011 at 09:35 AM. Reason: ...
Old Sep 07, 2011, 10:30 AM
Designing on the edge
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Mar 2001
1,530 Posts
If you do decide to build one, check out our offerings at
http://www.aerodromerc.com
Bengtson is offline Find More Posts by Bengtson
Old Sep 07, 2011, 09:12 PM
Pro Horder
upland CA
Joined Dec 2004
7,592 Posts
Look for an old great planes arf if you can find one...they are very good and scale looking
turbonut is offline Find More Posts by turbonut
Old Sep 08, 2011, 01:30 AM
USA, MD, Hagerstown
Joined Jun 2009
3,357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbonut View Post
Look for an old great planes arf if you can find one...they are very good and scale looking
Thanks. I'll keep an eye out for that one for sure. At 60" it's just what I'm looking for. Figures it's discontinued.
Old Sep 08, 2011, 07:07 AM
Da' Cajun
Lake Charles, Louisiana
Joined Jun 2009
2,893 Posts
http://www.generalhobby.com/fokker-n...lane-p-29.html

http://www.generalhobby.com/fokker-n...lane-p-76.html
Boogie_ is offline Find More Posts by Boogie_
Old Sep 08, 2011, 10:33 AM
S/E Michigan
Joined Jun 2010
1,651 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by V2rider View Post
I would never say I'm a great pilot, not even really good yet. I'm average I guess. But I sort of learned the hard way. Self taught on Warbirds. Started out with PZ foam and started adding E-Flite Balsa last year. I have the E-Flite Rhapsody and the H9 fokker DVII for bi-planes. Both great flying planes. The current go to planes are the H9 50 size Corsair and DVII. I can fit both in the car without breaking down the Corsair, and they are both a ton of fun to fly. I guess I'm thinking as nice as the DVII flys that a DR1 can't be that bad. Wouldn't be the first, or last time I was wrong though.
Suggest you get used to initiating banks with the rudder and leveling out with the ailerons. Don't try to fly the DRI until this is second nature to you. Having done so may save you some grief!
phillip57 is offline Find More Posts by phillip57
Old Sep 08, 2011, 10:35 AM
S/E Michigan
Joined Jun 2010
1,651 Posts
This is a poor rendition of a Fokker DRI. The lines are way off. *retch*
phillip57 is offline Find More Posts by phillip57
Old Sep 08, 2011, 11:09 AM
USA, MD, Hagerstown
Joined Jun 2009
3,357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillip57 View Post
Suggest you get used to initiating banks with the rudder and leveling out with the ailerons. Don't try to fly the DRI until this is second nature to you. Having done so may save you some grief!
I've been doing that with all my planes this year. I've actually noticed that the DVII really doesn't roll near as much as my other warbirds with just rudder input. It seems like more of a sideslip or skid action till one of the wings slows a bit and starts to drop. It definately flys different than any other plane I have. Sure looks good when I do get the rudder /ail combo right in turns too. Touch n goes are a blast too. Looks pretty sweet rolling down the runway with the tail in the air just waiting for you to give a bit more power and let it lift off on its own.
Old Sep 08, 2011, 03:03 PM
Da' Cajun
Lake Charles, Louisiana
Joined Jun 2009
2,893 Posts
Quote:
This is a poor rendition of a Fokker DRI. The lines are way off. *retch*
Yep, not gonna win any scale contests with that one. But the OP asked for an ARF, seems like the only large one available.

Same plane as the one listed at NitroPlanes.
Boogie_ is offline Find More Posts by Boogie_