HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 06, 2011, 06:41 PM
Joined Jul 2010
10 Posts
Help!
How to design plans?

I've made plenty of planes from plans but I never really thought about how to design some plans. I want to start simple and use Google Sketch-up. I do have AutoCad. Any help is appreciated.
bagofbones11 is offline Find More Posts by bagofbones11
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 06, 2011, 07:34 PM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
18,089 Posts
The AMA web sight has some good publications.
http://www.modelaircraft.org/shopama...BA7EFFC735EBCC

RC Man is online now Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Sep 06, 2011, 08:11 PM
Joined Jul 2010
10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Man View Post
The AMA web sight has some good publications.
http://www.modelaircraft.org/shopama...BA7EFFC735EBCC

I already have most of those books but I meant like how to I create plans so i can post them. Sorry if you don't understand bad english.
bagofbones11 is offline Find More Posts by bagofbones11
Old Sep 06, 2011, 08:52 PM
Happy2ndChildhood
London Ontario
Joined Aug 2005
1,361 Posts
sketchup for dummies book (not specifically planes)

DVD to watch and follow, that will walk you through designing model planes using sketchup.

Biggest investment is time. If only I could buy me a chunk of that, I could get through that dvd.
Don McGill is offline Find More Posts by Don McGill
Old Sep 06, 2011, 10:46 PM
Aurora Municipal, Illinois, United States
Joined Jul 2002
1,626 Posts
There's a lot of resources that deal with getting the design to fly. Chuck Cunningham comes to mind. As far as putting designs to paper it takes some time learning to use one of the drawing tools. There are several free CAD apps and a couple of drawing apps that will get you the plans you want. I've used almost all of them at one time or another for work. My personal favorite is Adobe Illustrator. I've been using it for 20+ years so I'm biased, but I can crank out drawings pretty quick. Corel would be another option for a drawing program. A decent CAD program will deliver for you, but you may get more mileage from a drawing program. I also use it for designing graphics, cutting vinyl and making decals.
bullseye000 is offline Find More Posts by bullseye000
Old Sep 07, 2011, 08:34 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
18,089 Posts
Are there any simple low cost CAD programs that are good for making model drawings? I don’t need anything real fancy and it has to be simple to use. Most I have seen have way too many features and a big price tag.

RC Man is online now Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Sep 07, 2011, 08:44 AM
Aurora Municipal, Illinois, United States
Joined Jul 2002
1,626 Posts
Check out DraftSight it's free. There are others but good or bad I learned on AutoCAD and this is a close cousin. I do some work for a company that uses CAD for schematics and small part drawing. They got tired of paying big bucks for ACAD and are slowing migrating to this. Seems to work pretty good and for a free program there is a lot of support and tutorials.
bullseye000 is offline Find More Posts by bullseye000
Old Sep 07, 2011, 12:04 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,946 Posts
Bag: are you talking about format for posting on rcg? If so, then starting with sketchup is good. You can either build a model in 3d and unwrap and flatten the parts onto a plane for templates, or just start out with making templates from a scratchbuilt. With my Mooney mite I did the first, but all the onesheeters were starting with templates.
Once you get a model/templates file you can use a program like Cutepdf to print it to a file; then use scale&tile to make the tiled to letter size file. If you have later versions of Adobe, you can tile from that direct.
There are at least two threads on using sketchup in this forum, and there is a cadcam forum farther down in rcgroups.
springer is offline Find More Posts by springer
RCG Plus Member