HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 06, 2011, 04:40 PM
Joined Apr 2005
94 Posts
Help!
Noob with Rx question

Just got hooked to the hobby with the help and advice on this group. Started with the HZ Champ and have just purchased the PZ-T-28. Also 'splurged' on the DX6i.

Wanted to know if this TX will work with any 2.4ghz RX or only with the spektrum branded 2.4ghz RXs?

Am I stuck to purchasing only Spectrum equiped BNF?

Also I have been looking around for a thread which will list out all the electronic parts that I would need to either build or understand what other components would be required when to buy an ARF ...could anyone put a link to such a thread?

Thanks

Thanks.
bamb_i is offline Find More Posts by bamb_i
Last edited by bamb_i; Sep 06, 2011 at 04:47 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 06, 2011, 05:40 PM
USA, FL, Winter Haven
Joined May 2006
507 Posts
The Tx will only work with Spektrum receivers or the clones being made.
As in no futuba, hitec or any other brand will work. The manufactuers make sure there not compatible by using different protocalls.

No you are not stuck with just BNF. You can purchase any plane you like and just outfit it with a spektrum Rx and your good to go.

Most websites like Horizon will show what is required to finish the airplane.
Granted they always hawk their own stuff but it will give you a good idea of what is required.
Merlin1205 is offline Find More Posts by Merlin1205
Old Sep 06, 2011, 05:50 PM
Joined Apr 2005
94 Posts
Thanks for the response Merlin1205.

Which clone RX would be reliable for the micro planes?
Old Sep 06, 2011, 06:16 PM
United States, PA, Gettysburg
Joined Mar 2011
346 Posts
Orange RX's like this:http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Sat_Port_.html or this: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Receiver_.html.

Kinda confused why the 4 channel is more expensive than the 6 channel
jeb6684 is offline Find More Posts by jeb6684
Old Sep 06, 2011, 06:50 PM
Joined Apr 2005
94 Posts
Just ordered the 6ch. Thanks jeb6684.
Old Sep 06, 2011, 10:02 PM
United States, NY, CENTRAL VLY
Joined May 2011
1,029 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeb6684 View Post
Kinda confused why the 4 channel is more expensive than the 6 channel
I think I read somewhere that the 4 has better range, unless you use a satellite on the 6, which brings the price up.

Plus the 4 is lighter.

I bought a 4 a while back when they didn't include the case and I'm pretty sure it was only $4.99.
ausf is offline Find More Posts by ausf
Old Sep 07, 2011, 11:53 AM
United States, MO, Springfield
Joined Jul 2010
3,524 Posts
i would not use the clone RX in any thing but small foam planes and very small parkflyer type birds

they are not to be trusted
i really dont get the point of saving a few bucks on the RX on a $400+ bird
Elios000 is online now Find More Posts by Elios000
Old Sep 07, 2011, 03:41 PM
Florida
Joined Aug 2004
4,166 Posts
We have at least 20 of the Orange receivers flying at our field with no problems. Some in some fairly large electrics that are often flown out so far it is hard to retain orientation. Only a few of the people use the satellites. Most do not know that the satellites does NOT increase the range, it only helps to insure that no blanking of the signal occurs due to shadowing of the single antenna on those receivers with only one antenna or to loss of signal due to antenna orientation. For instance, if the receiver antenna was pointing directly back at the transmitter and the transmitter antenna was pointed directly at the receiver, minimum range would be had. By having the satellite with the antennas of the receiver and satellite at 90 degrees, one or the other will usually be in proper orientation to pick up the signal and one or the other will never be blocked by an intervening object if the two antenna are spaced as far apart as possible.
Rodney is offline Find More Posts by Rodney
Old Sep 07, 2011, 05:12 PM
Joined Apr 2005
94 Posts
I plan on using this mostly on ARF foamies. Would the weight make a huge difference? I did not realize that the 4 ch is indeed lighter. Bummer!
Last edited by bamb_i; Sep 07, 2011 at 05:17 PM.
Old Sep 07, 2011, 06:37 PM
United States, PA, Gettysburg
Joined Mar 2011
346 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamb_i View Post
I plan on using this mostly on ARF foamies. Would the weight make a huge difference? I did not realize that the 4 ch is indeed lighter. Bummer!
I don't think the weight difference is critical unless you are talking about micro's.
jeb6684 is offline Find More Posts by jeb6684
Old Sep 07, 2011, 07:29 PM
Joined Apr 2005
94 Posts
..hmm..actually the ultra micros from say hobbyzone / parkzone.
Looks like the rx I ordered would be a waste?