HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 06, 2011, 12:42 PM
Renegade Eggroll
USA, IL, Chicago
Joined Jan 2011
788 Posts
Discussion
How to get from flying mSR to Blade SR Huey?

Hi guys,

I am an ok mSR pilot, meaning I can take-off, zoom it around my living room on high rates, and land without crashing. I also fly prop planes and EDF jets. I saw that Horizon Hobby is coming out with a Blade SR Huey in late Oct. I really want to fly it. How do I get from where my skill level is now, to be able to fly the SR Huey without crashing it in the first 30 seconds?

I have Phoenix Flight Sim so I will be spending a lot of time with CP heli's. But for real world experience, what heli do you guys recommend I get to learn to fly a CP? My budget is $300 or less. I have a Dx6i as well.

Thank you!
Tom
impostor is offline Find More Posts by impostor
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 06, 2011, 01:11 PM
United States, NY, CENTRAL VLY
Joined May 2011
1,029 Posts
You must be my long lost brother cause I'm in the same situation.

Only difference so far is I'll be the dope explaining to my wife why she should blame 'this guy in Chicago' for me wanting something I didn't even know existed a few minutes ago.

Meanwhile I'll wait for replies. I was planning on a MCPx as a next step, but a Huey? Schweet...
ausf is offline Find More Posts by ausf
Old Sep 06, 2011, 01:18 PM
Renegade Eggroll
USA, IL, Chicago
Joined Jan 2011
788 Posts
LOL! Brother from another mother. My friends' wives hate me bc their hubbies get ideas in their heads from my toys.
Old Sep 06, 2011, 02:10 PM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined May 2008
2,574 Posts
I would suggest that you NOT get a scale heli as a first CP. I would also suggest against the SR in any form.

Get a pod and boom cp as the first as you ARE going to crash multiple times learning and then you won't wreck the nice fuselage, plus you need to remove it everytime you need to fix something.

I highly suggest you stay away from the SR as well, the heli is not as advertised, comes with crappy electronics, has a motor driven tail (bad idea on a heli this big and heavy) and is of an older design.

As ausf mentioned, the mcpx is a good learning cp, it's light weight makes the motor driven tail perform much better and due to the fbl design the head is much simpler in design. It's also the most durable cp heli I've ever flown.

When you're ready, get a good 450 size with whatever fuselage you want. I just saw a trex 450 w/ augusta fuselage sell for $300 used and it even included the retracts.
Druss is offline Find More Posts by Druss
Old Sep 06, 2011, 08:01 PM
Suspended Account
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Apr 2011
875 Posts
How Ironic. I to just heard that ther putting a scale fuse on the blade sr. After all the heat this poor lil sr takes Instead of fixing the problems on it and coming out with a blade sr v2...they simply put a scale fuse on it. ((((GONG)))) Now rookies not only pay for a headache of flying the sr. But get the joy of repairs to ther fuselage....I think this heli if purely for the sr owners that have it masterd....
jenn123 is offline Find More Posts by jenn123
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Sep 06, 2011, 08:48 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,486 Posts
100% agree. Get a decent 450 kit when you are ready; darthdrk.com has all the scale fuselages you could ask for.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Sep 08, 2011, 12:04 AM
Renegade Eggroll
USA, IL, Chicago
Joined Jan 2011
788 Posts
Thank you for the advice everyone. I didn't know that the SR has such bad problems. I look into the 450s. But first, I'm firing up the sim to start training.