HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 30, 2011, 05:56 PM
United States, CA, Diamond Bar
Joined Jul 2011
515 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickydee View Post
Hi GamerJoe,

Did that Peak motor mount right up, or did you have to modify anything?

Thanks! Mickydee
Yes, the motor is about 2-3mm longer than the E-Flite 480, but it mounts without any modifications. The Leader 480 provides for a lot of room to slide the cowl back and forth for various sized motors. The cowl does not have any mounting holes, so you essentially get everything exactly how you want it, then you drill the holes through the cowl and into the plywood underneath for the screws.
Gamerjoe is offline Find More Posts by Gamerjoe
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 30, 2011, 06:21 PM
When's the next fly-in?
Tanner, Alabama
Joined Oct 2003
6,440 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonnie9496 View Post
QUESTION: I note there are two Leader 480 threads running on RC Groups with similar info. Not sure how it works......but before they get too long can they be tied into one so we can all share the info without jumping threads??
That's pretty common around here for threads about popular planes. Usually somebody starts a thread and folks hang out on there. Review threads (like this one) usually come around some time after the product is released. Sometimes the review thread gets a lot of traffic and folks hang out there too. Sometimes they don't.

Bottom line is that review threads have a lot of good information in them including lots of good pictures and video. I've never seen threads combined before. If you are active on the other Leader thread, you could post and encourage folks to hang out over on this thread if you want.

Good luck with your Leader 480. I saw Gary's Leader flying again this afternoon, and it is a really nice-flying plane and good at what it does. You'll really like it when you get yours flying.

Andy
dee-grose is offline Find More Posts by dee-grose
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 31, 2011, 08:10 AM
USA, CA, Irvine
Joined Apr 2009
121 Posts
is it necessary to set the trust angle on the motor? i didn't but the plane requires some elevator and aileron trim for level flight.
LandoV2 is offline Find More Posts by LandoV2
Old Oct 31, 2011, 10:15 AM
Honey, I got more planes!
USA, AL, Athens
Joined Jun 2003
4,274 Posts
I didn't add any thrust angle. I mounted the motor strictly by the manual.
ghee-grose is offline Find More Posts by ghee-grose
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 01, 2011, 05:50 PM
Joined Jul 2011
515 Posts
Same here. It flies beautifully without a thrust angle. Mine flies straight as an arrow, and turns like it is on rails.
Old Nov 03, 2011, 01:51 AM
Joined Oct 2011
31 Posts
nice review
Aara chen is offline Find More Posts by Aara chen
Old Nov 05, 2011, 03:07 PM
United Kingdom, England, Lincs
Joined Apr 2011
276 Posts
E-flite Leader 480

Hi guys,

good reviews, pictures/videos, with lots of useful info.

Anyone over the pond here in the UK got one of these yet. They are in the shops and I'm seriously looking at one. Good review in RCMF mag too.
Would like to use alternatives to E-flite electrics if possible, because of the cost more than anything else.
Any ideas for an equivilant 480 motor and 40/50amp available over here at slightly less cost?
I find it a minefield as each manufacturer uses different and confusing (to me) numbering systems.

Electricgeoff
electricgeoff is offline Find More Posts by electricgeoff
Old Nov 05, 2011, 04:58 PM
USA, MN, Shakopee
Joined Sep 2004
1,297 Posts
Electricgeoff
the accessory pack for this motor is out of stock tho.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=16234
here is a link the the motor i used and its a direct fitting mount up to the eflight mounts and the cg came out perfect to. i also used a turngy 40 amp esc. i did use the e flight servos tho.
if you look aroung on hobby king i think all the 35mm motor will mount right up, if you pic a motor thats say a 35x48 you just have to get the CG set and most folks say comes real easy using heaver motor.
if you look around
scottc39 is offline Find More Posts by scottc39
Old Nov 05, 2011, 09:01 PM
United Kingdom, England, Lincs
Joined Apr 2011
276 Posts
E-flite Leader 480

Hi scottc39,

many thanks for this tip, I've never seen the Hobby King UK website before and you have opened up a whole new world to me.

There are things on there at very good prices that I've often wanted, but in other online shops have been quite a lot more expensive.

The cost of models to you in the States is as much in US$ as we pay GB£, so for a $100 we would be paying £100 or the equivilant of 160US$.

Although Hobby King don't stock this model, I can now buy the model at best UK price at my favorite online shop and kit it out from Hobby King UK at really competitive price. (The accessory pack for motor/ESC/prop etc is available here, but at £46/£55/£15 so $73/$88/$24, not a desirable price).

I can kit out for much less now and probably buy the MX2 I've also been after on the saving. Its BNF with all in for £89/$142. Great price.

Thanks again for opening up this great new avenue.

Electricgeoff
electricgeoff is offline Find More Posts by electricgeoff
Old Apr 02, 2012, 02:16 PM
Joined Oct 2011
2 Posts
Am looking for the next size up.. Like pattern type flying
johnsons is offline Find More Posts by johnsons
Old Apr 02, 2012, 02:38 PM
Joined Jul 2011
515 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsons View Post
Am looking for the next size up.. Like pattern type flying
Get the E-Flite 32e Extra 300

That is the best electric plane that I have ever owned, and it flies pattern superbly.
Old Apr 02, 2012, 07:28 PM
USA, MN, Shakopee
Joined Sep 2004
1,297 Posts
electricgeoff glad i could help or give a good direction for you, enjoy the hobby and have fun. scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricgeoff View Post
Hi scottc39,

many thanks for this tip, I've never seen the Hobby King UK website before and you have opened up a whole new world to me.

There are things on there at very good prices that I've often wanted, but in other online shops have been quite a lot more expensive.

The cost of models to you in the States is as much in US$ as we pay GB£, so for a $100 we would be paying £100 or the equivilant of 160US$.

Although Hobby King don't stock this model, I can now buy the model at best UK price at my favorite online shop and kit it out from Hobby King UK at really competitive price. (The accessory pack for motor/ESC/prop etc is available here, but at £46/£55/£15 so $73/$88/$24, not a desirable price).

I can kit out for much less now and probably buy the MX2 I've also been after on the saving. Its BNF with all in for £89/$142. Great price.

Thanks again for opening up this great new avenue.

Electricgeoff
scottc39 is offline Find More Posts by scottc39