SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 06, 2011, 10:28 AM
Joined Aug 2011
12 Posts
Discussion
What speed can i expect from my plane?

Hello all.
So i am new in the world of rc plane and curently building my first plane.
In my quest to fly this plane one day i am being confronted by the famous question, "which servo to use in my plane?". I know that there is servo torque calculator out there on the web but i miss the max speed information. Do someone can tell me please, what speed can i expect from my plane?

So here goes the spec of my plane.

It is an Ace simple series F4U Corsair
wingspan 36"
wing Area 190 sq.in
probably gonna weight in the 20oz finished
and i got the thunder tiger gp-.07 to power it with 6x3 propeller.

thank for your answer.
DisgruntledDavid is offline Find More Posts by DisgruntledDavid
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 06, 2011, 06:05 PM
Beaumont tx
Joined Oct 2004
3,745 Posts
Any good mini (not micro) servo; it'll probably be in the middle between the standard and "micro". Hobby Lobby and Tower both have good assortments.

howell
gwinhh is offline Find More Posts by gwinhh
Old Sep 06, 2011, 06:16 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,582 Posts
I like the 12g to 20g size servos. They work quite well with the small engine powered planes. Lately I have been using the 17g size servos to good effect in small planes.
The 9g servos might be too small though as the engine vibration causes he control surfaces to vibrate and the tiny gears in the 9g servos might not be able to handle the stress.
But one could use standard size servos too, if they fit. Before we had small servos everyone used the regular servos in their 1/2a planes. I flew many a small plane with standard servos many years ago.
earlwb is online now Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My new Gaui X5 Rc Helicopter
Old Sep 06, 2011, 06:21 PM
Tiny diesels.... I love 'em
United Kingdom, England, London
Joined Aug 2011
224 Posts
Yes I knew guys who flew 27 gram servos in .010 models of of only 12 inch span.
But a corsair is not a very good first plane.
nitroairplane is offline Find More Posts by nitroairplane
Old Sep 09, 2011, 10:00 PM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
7,243 Posts
Erm We Flew med sized servos in our 1/2 A Primarily because Kraft KP 18's(?) 1/2 oz servos Were like $60 + Bux EACH !!
When a brand new TD 051 was $20/25 at the local Hobby shop.
ACE Midgets were a common servo choice.. Mediocre quality but useable and at least affordable.
Try Doubling up on HXT 9 grammers IF concerned... but at $3 each,
Fitting a new one is easier than swapping out gear trains even if they are only $1.50
Bare is online now Find More Posts by Bare
Old Sep 10, 2011, 01:22 AM
Sweden
Joined Jan 2008
1,030 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledDavid View Post
In my quest to fly this plane one day i am being confronted by the famous question, "which servo to use in my plane?". I know that there is servo torque calculator out there on the web but i miss the max speed information. Do someone can tell me please, what speed can i expect from my plane?
Are you asking about servo speed or airplane speed?
surfer_kris is offline Find More Posts by surfer_kris
Old Sep 10, 2011, 03:49 PM
Tiny diesels.... I love 'em
United Kingdom, England, London
Joined Aug 2011
224 Posts
He said what speed can he expect from his plane.
nitroairplane is offline Find More Posts by nitroairplane
Old Sep 10, 2011, 04:02 PM
Sweden
Joined Jan 2008
1,030 Posts
Ahh, I get it now I think. You want to know the speed of the plane to calculate the required torque of the servo?

That's really fancy, I just go by a rule of thumb, you'll need about the same torque (oz-in) as your plane weights (oz). I know these are two different things but it sort of works as a rough guide....

For planes around 20oz and below the HS-65HB is a nice match.
Old Sep 11, 2011, 04:28 PM
Flying is an addiction
NE Georgia
Joined Aug 2008
347 Posts
if you TT-07 is like mine not very fast. worst glow engine I ever owned. with a 6x3 tuned 6000rpm below peak and blowing as fuel out the muffler as it was burning it would over heat and shut down in about 45 seconds. running 5%, tried 15% just over heated faster.

best I ever got out of it was with a 5x4.5 can't remember the rpm but it only made around 10oz of thrust and wouldn't lift a Herr Star Cruiser with 7 inch wider than stock wing span that weighed 22oz. The little plane has actually flown backwards with a 5mph head wind.
commrad is offline Find More Posts by commrad
Old Sep 12, 2011, 03:10 AM
Sweden
Joined Jan 2008
1,030 Posts
Agree on the overheating, but the newer ones are a little better on several points. One can also put a restriction in the muffler, a baffle like the OS engines have, to help with the fuel delivery.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 09:58 AM
Joined Aug 2011
12 Posts
Thank you everybody for you answers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfer_kris View Post
Ahh, I get it now I think. You want to know the speed of the plane to calculate the required torque of the servo?
Well, i was asking the airplane speed, yes to calculate the required servo torque but also for my own curiosity.

Quote:
if you TT-07 is like mine not very fast. worst glow engine I ever owned. with a 6x3 tuned 6000rpm below peak and blowing as fuel out the muffler...
I bench tested my gp-07 a couple of time and it was looking to give decent performance. I dont have any tachometer but the engine was turning way over 10k rpm i think. I could empty the 2oz tank without any overheat using 15%nitro 20% castor and synthetic oil mix.
DisgruntledDavid is offline Find More Posts by DisgruntledDavid
Old Sep 12, 2011, 06:41 PM
Flying is an addiction
NE Georgia
Joined Aug 2008
347 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledDavid View Post

I bench tested my gp-07 a couple of time and it was looking to give decent performance. I dont have any tachometer but the engine was turning way over 10k rpm i think. I could empty the 2oz tank without any overheat using 15%nitro 20% castor and synthetic oil mix.
I'm jealous, I REALLY wanted my little TT to work since I live next door to a church with a really nice concrete parking lot and the only complaint I've ever gotten was "can you call me before you fly that thing next time so I can come watch". Granted I only have 3 neighbors within ear shot of a glow engine.

So I'm stuck with electric or my OS 15 on a Herr P51 for home flying, I'm not comfortable flying a 40 size there due to trees limiting landing approaches.
Old Sep 17, 2011, 12:09 AM
Rocky Mountain High and Higher
Joined Jan 2002
877 Posts
GP .07 is a great little motor once it is broken in (correctly) and it does like the higher nitro.
IMO I would HIGHLY recommend putting the plane on a shelf somewhere and reconsider to avoid the disappointment of first time flying.

I would recommend going to the Sig website www.sigmfg.com and order a Herr "Star Cruiser" or "Cloud Ranger". These planes are great sport trainers. Meaning they fly slow enough to correct for beginner mistakes. The GP07 is also a great match for either of these models and standard size servos fit easily so you can save money on servos to start.

But I can understand the warbird and need for speed. My first RC plane was a HOB P-51 with an OS .15, it was very fast and flew for about ten seconds before becoming a monokote bag of balsa toothpicks.

Anyway, whatever route you go please let everyone here know how its going but most importantly HAVE FUN!
PROACE is offline Find More Posts by PROACE
Old Sep 17, 2011, 03:50 PM
Flying is an addiction
NE Georgia
Joined Aug 2008
347 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PROACE View Post

I would recommend going to the Sig website www.sigmfg.com and order a Herr "Star Cruiser" or "Cloud Ranger". These planes are great sport trainers. Meaning they fly slow enough to correct for beginner mistakes. The GP07 is also a great match for either of these models and standard size servos fit easily so you can save money on servos to start.
I couldn't agree more, I have a Star Cruiser that I built for FPV (camera on the plane, fly by tv screen). I added 4" to each wing by cutting an extra wing rib for each half out of some spare balsa to cope with the near pound of extra equipment. I still fly it with out all the extra weight from time to time with a cheap tower pro motor, 8 or 9 gram servos, 8x4, 15 amp speed control and a JR ultra light 6 channel rx. either a 1500 or 2200mah 3 cell lipo.

it'll take off and fly at 1/4 throttle with no problem. plane weighs 17oz with the 1500 and the motor makes 22-230z of thrust measured. any thing over 1/2 throttle and you have to start using down elevator to keep it level. With the high rates recommended it will not stall with power off and cruises plenty fast enough for a beginner. For a beginner I would use the same set up with a 6x4 or 7x3 prop to make throttle control less of an issue so you could concentrate on flying.

Even the Herr (Sig) P51 is a NICE flying airplane. HERE is where I built mine. Still together, still has the OS .15 and still one of my favorite planes.
Last edited by commrad; Sep 17, 2011 at 04:36 PM.