SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 12, 2003, 09:15 AM
I hate waiting for parts
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Apr 2001
6,866 Posts
Winter e-project - need advice!

Talking to my good friend Davecee - I am into both electric and gas planes, but I want to get a bit more "serious" into electric. We thought about converting one of my IC planes to electric over the winter. We went through my inventory and the best candidate was a World Models P-51 Mustang w/ retracts. It's a light airframe, flies great, and is more than adequately powered with an O.S. .70 four-stroke and a 12x8 prop.

So we started talking about cell counts and power systems until I was flipping through my latest Hobby People catalog, and I came across a ModelTech Magic 3D. Of course!! AUW (according to ModelTech) with their recommended motor is 3.5 lbs. I've seen enough of them flying that the guys who know what to put in there (.40 LA with an APC 12.75x3.25 prop), they are incredible airplanes. It's the guys that put a heavy .46FX witha 10x6 prop that they fly terrible. Well, not terrible, but not in the manner in which they were intended.

Anyway, enough of this rambling. I've decided that since the plane is only $99, what have I got to lose? I'm going to get one here shortly and we're going to convert it to electric. I did a search and found many threads with people who have had good luck with this plane.

I would like advice on what power system to put in it. I want to go brushless - my first - but I want to stay with NiCd or NiMH batteries... I'm not interested in LiPo. I would like motor, gearbox, and cell-count recommendations. Also, I know the fuse is quite narrow, but is it possible to fit the batteries in-board?

Thanks in advance!
Mike_Then is offline Find More Posts by Mike_Then
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Repairing the T-28... again
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 12, 2003, 10:02 AM
Name it, I've crashed it
JAX, FL
Joined Feb 2002
1,556 Posts
There are other setups that I've seen recommended but this still seems like the best from a cost, preformace and duration perspective. You could even do this GB and cells setup with a brushed motor to start with.

http://www.megamotorusa.com/videos/mega-magic.htm

Good list of options here also: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...hreadid=149937

- Bill
Bill Germanson is offline Find More Posts by Bill Germanson
Old Sep 12, 2003, 10:57 AM
I hate waiting for parts
Joined Apr 2001
6,866 Posts
Good info!

That's good information, thanks! I especially like the Mega video. That seems to be the way for me to go, as he's using NiMH, unlike the gentleman in the other thread that's using LiPo cells.

I can't wait to get started! Anyone has any tips, information, or opinions, please feel to share!
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 15, 2003, 09:31 AM
I hate waiting for parts
Joined Apr 2001
6,866 Posts
I was going to go with the Mega 22/20/2 that's in the video, a Monster Box (to get the ratio of 6:1) and a 16x10 prop to start. Does anyone have preferences between Mega and Hacker? I'm sure they both have their advantages/disadvantages. Davecee and I were thinking around 12 cells NiMH. Is it possible to get the batteries inboard?
RCG Plus Member