HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:17 AM
Vermilion, OH
Joined Aug 2010
880 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aros View Post
My most anticipated 1700 yet arrives today, complete with Benedini sound thanks to GodofThunder! I cannot wait! And yes Brandon, the pilot arrived safe and sound...You did a fantastic job! Thank you again! Photos soon...
I sure hope UPS treated it nicely
godofthunder77 is offline Find More Posts by godofthunder77
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:21 AM
"Aircraftus Fragmentum"
Motor City USA
Joined Mar 2007
3,591 Posts
Quote:
My most anticipated 1700 yet arrives today, complete with Benedini sound thanks to GodofThunder! I cannot wait! And yes Brandon, the pilot arrived safe and sound...You did a fantastic job! Thank you again! Photos soon...
Can't wait to hear/see - picts/vids of your new bird "LOADED".
kydawg1 is offline Find More Posts by kydawg1
Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:52 AM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,309 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder77 View Post
I sure hope UPS treated it nicely
ME TOO!!
Aros is offline Find More Posts by Aros
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 12, 2013, 12:05 PM
Fly & Have Fun..Enjoy the Ride
Joined Mar 2009
5,655 Posts
removed
brandonmoon is offline Find More Posts by brandonmoon
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by brandonmoon; Feb 12, 2013 at 08:51 PM.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 12:38 PM
Name brands compare me...Why?
United States, NJ
Joined Feb 2012
369 Posts
Show us! Tell us!
BRAND X is offline Find More Posts by BRAND X
Old Feb 12, 2013, 12:46 PM
Destin,Fl
Joined Nov 2002
559 Posts
BM Great response to what seems to me as a rude post.
cmk-2 is online now Find More Posts by cmk-2
Old Feb 12, 2013, 10:34 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,309 Posts
Sorry for the quick post but it's been a long day. I finally had the chance to unbox her just a bit ago. Our UPS guy delivers late in the day in our neighborhood so I didn't get a chance to unpack until I got back from dinner...

Brandon's awesome paint job for the Tuskegee pilot just looks terrific. Here's some cell phone pics (I'll take better day shots when she's all put together and the weather improves...Friday)...

I work tomorrow so I won't be able to get to her to build until tomorrow night. In the meantime, I quickly plugged the battery in to hear the Benedini...

HOLY CRAP!!

I don't have the throttle points adjusted yet so as soon as I plugged it in she started right up. I think my cat lost three lives! LOL! Sounds so sweet!! I can't wait to fine tune the throttle points and get her outside and taxi with that sweet Merlin Music. Thanks again GodOfThunder77!!
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 12, 2013, 10:45 PM
Joined Mar 2009
5,655 Posts
looks good and I know Brian did an awsome job on the Benedini mod.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by brandonmoon; Feb 12, 2013 at 10:55 PM.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 02:11 PM
United States, CA, Thousand Oaks
Joined Aug 2012
1,269 Posts
Quote:
Brandon Moon did a much nicer job on the Tuskegee pilot's face then I did that's for sure.!!
Hey..he's not airsick anymore ...Looks great..and glad you scared the cat
Weed89 is offline Find More Posts by Weed89
Old Feb 13, 2013, 09:40 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,309 Posts
Hey guys, I have her all put together for the most part. There was a couple quality control issues (the spinner and backplate came in yellow, not red, and the stock pilot was loose and lots of black flecks from the cockpit paint came loose and created smudges on the canopy...Not all of it came off with Windex), but what is bugging me the most is this gap between the backplate and the front of the nose where the motor is. It looks like it's bent downward. But when I rotate or throttle up, the backplate and spinner does not wobble.

Is this gap normal? I don't think so. It's worth noting I'm using an old backplate and spinner from one of my 1700 Mustangs from last year. I compared size to the ones that came with this plane and they were the same size.

Confused?

PS...The Benedini sounds AWESOME! Especially at the idle setting. When I throttle beyond that into the higher RPMs it seems to switch to a different quality and level/frequency. Still cool but I think it needs to be tweaked or something. Brandon may know what I am referring to.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:06 PM
Joined Mar 2009
5,655 Posts
Quote:
Hey guys, I have her all put together for the most part. There was a couple quality control issues (the spinner and backplate came in yellow, not red, and the stock pilot was loose and lots of black flecks from the cockpit paint came loose and created smudges on the canopy...Not all of it came off with Windex), but what is bugging me the most is this gap between the backplate and the front of the nose where the motor is. It looks like it's bent downward. But when I rotate or throttle up, the backplate and spinner does not wobble.

Is this gap normal? I don't think so. It's worth noting I'm using an old backplate and spinner from one of my 1700 Mustangs from last year. I compared size to the ones that came with this plane and they were the same size.

Confused?

PS...The Benedini sounds AWESOME! Especially at the idle setting. When I throttle beyond that into the higher RPMs it seems to switch to a different quality and level/frequency. Still cool but I think it needs to be tweaked or something. Brandon may know what I am referring to.
Yes I do, and Brian does too, both him and I talked about this a while back when he did his origionaly. there is something you can do and try, but like I said earlier you need the programing dongle and software and ability to get it next to your computer or a laptop. It's a bit involved, and complicated, but nothing you can't handle and is in the instructions I sent you Call me on friday...I'm off all day
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Relocated back to Arizona
Old Feb 14, 2013, 12:11 AM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,309 Posts
Thanks Brandon...Nothing I can't handle, eh? Man, you have too much faith in me.

For the maiden on Friday, I'm going to keep it as is...When I have the patience and time, I will dig into it with your kind assistance. Thanks buddy.

As for the gap between the nose and the backplate, I put the backplate on that it shipped with and it has the same gap. Closer inspection shows that the entire motor and shaft is out further than it should be. It's like the firewall moved a quarter inch out from older versions, or maybe they have doubled up on the motor mount? I'll have to take a look. That still doesn't explain the down angle though. Maybe they have extra washers on the top of the mount?

I'll dig into it tomorrow night.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 14, 2013, 03:11 AM
Most people are stupid!
Australia, QLD, Gold Coast
Joined Oct 2011
3,741 Posts
Or maybe you just got one with a dud mount. Hope it's an easy fix.
dambit is online now Find More Posts by dambit
Old Feb 14, 2013, 05:29 AM
Vermilion, OH
Joined Aug 2010
880 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonmoon View Post
Yes I do, and Brian does too, both him and I talked about this a while back when he did his origionaly. there is something you can do and try, but like I said earlier you need the programing dongle and software and ability to get it next to your computer or a laptop. It's a bit involved, and complicated, but nothing you can't handle and is in the instructions I sent you Call me on friday...I'm off all day
The throttle up is normal Todd. That is the motor moving from idle to more of a accelerating sound. That is the spitfire sound. Like Brandon said, it's a little more involved but you would need the USB program cable to change the sound to a different level. I knocked the level down from 255 to 175. To where the highend doesn't sound so high pitched. 255 sounds weird. My goal was to make sound more like an engine at high speed. Not a turbo prop at high speed. That's messed up on the spinner and firewall.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 14, 2013, 05:30 AM
Vermilion, OH
Joined Aug 2010
880 Posts
Get her in the air and it will sound better trust me
RCG Plus Member