SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 05, 2013, 03:55 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
10,746 Posts
The hard part would be knowing exactly what sounds, and aspects of them, you do get.
Because a sound system just takes one fixed RPM sound and upsamples that, you only get to choose the ONE base sound portion. If you pick a low RPM idle sound, that doesn't upsample to a decent 'motor running' sound. If you pick a low rpm running sound, that has no depth or 'roar' for higher power levels.
So you have to work out some compromise.
But that is why you really need to add extra depth/roar via an Additional Sound that is played mixed in, when required.

I also thought last night about ading in a "Prop Fighter diving/sceaming" Additional Sound. LOL. I guess you would trigger that for the start and dive, then move to the P-51 whistle as you near the bottom of the arc... seeing you can only have one Additional Sound playing at a time.

Hopefully someone actually designs and makes a truly useful model aircraft sound unit soon!! It needs a lot more function/ability than any current ones. Like PC car sims need to cover all engine situations in a car etc.
PeterVRC is online now Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: SBEC's connected in parallel
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 05, 2013, 05:16 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,313 Posts
Seems to me that RC sound systems available today are where RC foam warbirds and jets were about six years ago. Promising, but a long way to go. I'm sure the sound setups they will have available to us six years from now will be jaw-dropping.

And that's not to take away anything from Benedini or other top sound setups...I won't know first-hand until I get mine in about a week but from what I've heard, these sounds blow the minds of fellow flyers at the field, including gas guys.

I agree though, from what I am only able to hear online via video or cell phones (which I understand just doesn't do it justice), it seems like you will need some additional noise to provide that added depth and sensation of power to really knock your doors off. However, it will have to be done at the micro level so the weight increase isn't detrimental.

What about those of you with Benedini or a similar top sound system? What's your take?
Aros is offline Find More Posts by Aros
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 05, 2013, 07:57 PM
Joined Jan 2011
358 Posts
I was on the RCU site earlier today, and found a link to a Stuka with a benedini sound system that was one of the best I have ever heard. I don't know how to put links up or I would. It was under KMP stuka, pg 37, post924. Follow the utube shorts until you find the one with elect. power. I think the fact that the airplane is hollow has something to do with the better sound? The foam in these planes doesn't let the sound reverberate?
warbirdfan2 is offline Find More Posts by warbirdfan2
Old Feb 05, 2013, 08:32 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,313 Posts
Is this the one?

ESM JU87 Stuka 80" Electric (6 min 12 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 05, 2013, 08:48 PM
Joined Jan 2011
358 Posts
THAT IS THE ONE!!! Sounds cool dont you think?
warbirdfan2 is offline Find More Posts by warbirdfan2
Old Feb 05, 2013, 09:15 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
10,746 Posts
I was waiting for him to do a "Stuka dive bomb" with that siren sound effect!!!
PeterVRC is online now Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: SBEC's connected in parallel
Old Feb 05, 2013, 11:23 PM
Fly & Have Fun..Enjoy the Ride
Joined Mar 2009
5,655 Posts
Todd's (Brandon re-painted "Tuskegee" custom pilot)

Ok Todd he's done and on his way back either tommarrow or the next day. He's now done "Tuskegee" style

Also I mounted and glued a wood platform in the open part on his seat so you can use a long wood screw to hold him in ,instead of glueing him in. That's what I've been doing with all of mine so I can move them easily if I want with out messing up the finish and paint job on them
brandonmoon is offline Find More Posts by brandonmoon
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Relocated back to Arizona
Old Feb 05, 2013, 11:30 PM
Name brands compare me...Why?
United States, NJ
Joined Feb 2012
369 Posts
See Todd...The "MAGIC BRUSH"!

Nice job Brandon.
BRAND X is offline Find More Posts by BRAND X
Old Feb 05, 2013, 11:38 PM
Joined Mar 2009
5,655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAND X View Post
See Todd...The "MAGIC BRUSH"!

Nice job Brandon.
Thank's David
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 06, 2013, 12:51 AM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,313 Posts
BEAUTIFUL WORK!!!!

A pilot worthy of my new Red Tail with sound....Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 06, 2013, 12:52 AM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by warbirdfan2 View Post
THAT IS THE ONE!!! Sounds cool dont you think?
Sounds fantastic. I think you're right with the hollow body...
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 06, 2013, 01:39 AM
Joined Mar 2009
5,655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aros View Post
BEAUTIFUL WORK!!!!

A pilot worthy of my new Red Tail with sound....Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!
You're welcome, Glad you like him, I was talking to Brian today on the phone and we were talking about your Red Tails bird there he was doing, Glad to see you're onboard with some sound, you're gonna love it
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 06, 2013, 02:13 AM
Been There, Crashed That!
Australia, WA, Geraldton
Joined Jul 2011
573 Posts
Nice work Sir.
Austang is online now Find More Posts by Austang
Old Feb 07, 2013, 01:28 AM
San Diego
Joined Oct 2006
570 Posts
More great work Brandon. I wish that I would have had that idea to make a wood base and screw set up! I glued my Moon Finishing School graduate into his plane. If it comes down to it I think that I can save him because I used Goop to seat him.

Aaron
Aaron Wallace is offline Find More Posts by Aaron Wallace
Old Feb 07, 2013, 02:28 AM
San Diego
Joined Oct 2006
570 Posts
Latest photos
Aaron Wallace is offline Find More Posts by Aaron Wallace
Last edited by Aaron Wallace; Feb 07, 2013 at 02:39 AM.