HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 12, 2012, 07:20 PM
Name brands compare me...Why?
United States, NJ
Joined Feb 2012
371 Posts
That's a great job! Thanks for the inspiration.
BRAND X is offline Find More Posts by BRAND X
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 12, 2012, 08:12 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
11,754 Posts
I still can't see where the water hose gets connected!!
hehe

It is a "plane washer" isn't it?

Good effort!
PeterVRC is offline Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 12, 2012, 08:44 PM
Should've, Would've, Could've
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,844 Posts
Wow nice job! It would've been easier to buy a new truck to transport in one piece, lol jk! Great craftsmanship.
v8truckin is offline Find More Posts by v8truckin
Old Dec 13, 2012, 12:08 PM
Corona, Ca.
Joined Apr 2007
207 Posts
My appoligies if this has been asked but I browsed through quite a few pages back and couldn't find the answer. Are the updated aluminum retracts available yet and if so where might I be able to get them? Couldn't find them on Banana's or PW-RC's web site.
Thank you.
johnnymaxxima is offline Find More Posts by johnnymaxxima
Old Dec 13, 2012, 02:11 PM
"Auntie Samantha"
USA, MO, Clever
Joined Dec 2009
4,735 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnymaxxima View Post
My appoligies if this has been asked but I browsed through quite a few pages back and couldn't find the answer. Are the updated aluminum retracts available yet and if so where might I be able to get them? Couldn't find them on Banana's or PW-RC's web site.
Thank you.
I was informed by FMS that they would be hitting the market within the month. So far I haven't heard anymore? I will be posting that info along with the prices on my blog "E-Tracts...The New Generation" the second I receive a confirmation.

Gary
Sandancer is offline Find More Posts by Sandancer
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 13, 2012, 05:48 PM
Corona, Ca.
Joined Apr 2007
207 Posts
Awesome. Thank you...
johnnymaxxima is offline Find More Posts by johnnymaxxima
Old Dec 14, 2012, 07:07 AM
San Diego
Joined Oct 2006
570 Posts
Gary,

The pins that came with my PZ-V2s have the flat spots at wrong angles causing toe and fit problems. I got the upgraded struts which came with pins also and so I have four pins and only one is usable! Grinding new flat spots at exactly the correct angle seems tricky. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Aaron
Aaron Wallace is offline Find More Posts by Aaron Wallace
Old Dec 14, 2012, 11:33 AM
"Auntie Samantha"
USA, MO, Clever
Joined Dec 2009
4,735 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Wallace View Post
Gary,

The pins that came with my PZ-V2s have the flat spots at wrong angles causing toe and fit problems. I got the upgraded struts which came with pins also and so I have four pins and only one is usable! Grinding new flat spots at exactly the correct angle seems tricky. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Aaron
It's pretty much trial & error, Aaron.

Some guys use the Dremel with a grinding disc, I like to use the edge of a file. For a new pin with no reliefs at all (I make a lot of my own using 5mm motor shafts), I first install the pin in both the strut and the E-Tract's trunnion and set the alignment for both the wheel and the E-Tract. I install all the grub screws I will need and tighten them enough to leave impressions on the pin. I then scribe a line from top to bottom with the edge of a Sharpie, like the reflection line shown in the attachment, for reference. Then it's just a matter of getting any 45 angles right just by eye balling everything. I clamp mine in a vise at 45 using that scribed line as reference and then, taking care I'm holding the file at the correct angle, I start filing the reliefs. I don't like to remove a lot of material, just enough to create a flat spot. That way, if I'm off I I still have enough material to correct the angle if need be.

Once I'm happy with alignments, I remove all the grub screw and grind the tips flat. Most grub screw are coned with a tiny dimple at the contact area. I just grind enough off to remove the dimple.

In your case where you're trying to correct the angle in the pins you already have, if there is enough material left to work with, then using a vise and a file, try to file a new angle to achieve what you need.

Gary
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 14, 2012, 11:36 AM
"Auntie Samantha"
USA, MO, Clever
Joined Dec 2009
4,735 Posts
Okay, I'm going to dangle the proverbial carrot out there again........I was informed this morning from FMS that the new E-Tracts will be out next week!

Gary
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 14, 2012, 11:52 AM
I can fix it.
Cochranton, Pa.
Joined Nov 2005
1,404 Posts
Gary,

What is your relationship to FMS that you have access to information like this?
Thanks,

Jim
nageotte is offline Find More Posts by nageotte
Old Dec 14, 2012, 12:31 PM
Should've, Would've, Could've
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,844 Posts
Aaron,

Like Gary said its trial and error getting the flat spots correct and the toe out of the wheels/oleos. I went through 2 pins before I got one I liked as I had spare e-flite 5mm wire lying around. If you don't have spare wire just make sure you file sparingly as you don't want to weaken the integrity of the wire by filing too much. I to use the same method as Gary by using the grub screw impression as a guide to where I need to file. Good luck and take your time.

Gary,

Man you make those flat spots look like they came from the factory, I've tried to get em that nice but never happens.
v8truckin is offline Find More Posts by v8truckin
Old Dec 14, 2012, 12:44 PM
"Auntie Samantha"
USA, MO, Clever
Joined Dec 2009
4,735 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nageotte View Post
Gary,

What is your relationship to FMS that you have access to information like this?
Thanks,

Jim
First off let me say, I have no affiliation with FMS other then the write-ups I've done on my blog.

Because my blog has been relatively exclusive to FMS planes for the past few years, they have contacted me on numerous occasions relating to opinions and suggestions to make their products better.

A couple of months ago they asked me if I would test & review their new Alum. E-Tracts and evaluate their performance. In the process of that, they designed a newer plastic version w/metal trunnions designed primarily for the 1400mm series and again sent me a set of those for evaluation and review. Note* as of now, FMS plans to offer both these units as a "off the shelf" replacement item. They are in the process of making a new plastic E-Tract which will be factory installed, but I haven't received any info on those yet?

Gary
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 14, 2012, 12:48 PM
"Auntie Samantha"
USA, MO, Clever
Joined Dec 2009
4,735 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8truckin View Post

Gary,

Man you make those flat spots look like they came from the factory, I've tried to get em that nice but never happens.
Oh believe me Nick, it takes practice and patience! I rely on a very sharp file! I have made a few booboos, but I don't take pics of those!

Gary
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 14, 2012, 06:39 PM
San Diego
Joined Oct 2006
570 Posts
Gary and v8,

Thanks for the tips on grinding flat spots on the pins. The line down the length of the pin should help but, this grinding is really hard to do accurately. Gary, yours do look factory made!

We want a small amount of toe in not out correct?

Aaron
Aaron Wallace is offline Find More Posts by Aaron Wallace
Old Dec 14, 2012, 07:05 PM
"Auntie Samantha"
USA, MO, Clever
Joined Dec 2009
4,735 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Wallace View Post
Gary and v8,

Thanks for the tips on grinding flat spots on the pins. The line down the length of the pin should help but, this grinding is really hard to do accurately. Gary, yours do look factory made!

We want a small amount of toe in not out correct?

Aaron
Thanks Aaron! Maybe I should start a business grinding reliefs?

When you get your car aligned it should have some slight toe-in. I prefer a toe-in set up.

Gary
RCG Plus Member