HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 08, 2012, 06:38 PM
San Diego
Joined Oct 2006
570 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Althorpe1 View Post
Is there any place to get parts for the FMS Pitts biplane? Today I was flying her for the 5 th time and all of a sudden it made a loud noise and I noticed two of the prop blades broke off and yes I do balance my props. Well this caused the motor to wobble and break the plastic motor mount. She landed ok but hit a small tree in yard on my emergency landing and broke the elevator. This really suck because I really liked that plane. Anyone think BH will replace? So if there are no parts is this a 260 dollar piece of foam on wheels?

If you can't find parts for a time, maybe you can make an elevator out of balsa.

AAron
Aaron Wallace is offline Find More Posts by Aaron Wallace
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 08, 2012, 07:48 PM
modify...modify...modify
United States, CA, Sunnyvale
Joined Mar 2012
1,479 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Althorpe1 View Post
Is there any place to get parts for the FMS Pitts biplane? Today I was flying her for the 5 th time and all of a sudden it made a loud noise and I noticed two of the prop blades broke off and yes I do balance my props. Well this caused the motor to wobble and break the plastic motor mount. She landed ok but hit a small tree in yard on my emergency landing and broke the elevator. This really suck because I really liked that plane. Anyone think BH will replace? So if there are no parts is this a 260 dollar piece of foam on wheels?
Try www.pw-rc.com

http://www.pw-rc.com/index.php/cPath/124_149

It shows a Pitts elevator in stock. Not sure if it is the right one for you.

btl
borntoolate is online now Find More Posts by borntoolate
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: B-17F "Meat Hound"
Old Dec 08, 2012, 11:09 PM
Australia, TAS, Thirlstane
Joined May 2012
204 Posts
Well, finally assembled my FF and took it out to the front paddock (reasonably close cut grass and dirt/dust) for low and high speed taxy trials. Two low speed runs went well, but on the second high speed run the aircraft just lifted off (two or 3 inches) and the port undercarriage wheel and leg assembly fell out of its upper sleeve. Pulled power off and the aircraft slewed to a halt in a cloud of dust with one broken blade and the oleo door snapped in two. The inner doors were ok. Fortunately I had fitted wing tip skids in case this ever happened so there was no other damage (tip didn't even hit ground). On investigation I found the grub screw showing two thread out of the sleeve. Both trunnion grubs were also loose. The starboard side U/C exhibited the same loose condition. I know I should've checked but I didn't . QA is obviously a little lacking at production level! Anyway, a word of warning for those new to this bird - check all nuts, bolts and anything that moves! She's all fixed and ready for a maiden early January.
condor12 is offline Find More Posts by condor12
Old Dec 09, 2012, 02:44 AM
San Diego
Joined Oct 2006
570 Posts
Happy to hear your Mustang survived OK. Indeed all screws fittings and structural supports need to be inspected for integrity in ARFs. Especially a complex one like this P-51.

Aaron
Old Dec 09, 2012, 11:43 AM
"Auntie Samantha"
USA, MO, Clever
Joined Dec 2009
4,735 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by condor12 View Post
On investigation I found the grub screw showing two thread out of the sleeve. Both trunnion grubs were also loose. The starboard side U/C exhibited the same loose condition. I know I should've checked but I didn't . QA is obviously a little lacking at production level! Anyway, a word of warning for those new to this bird - check all nuts, bolts and anything that moves!
This has always been an on-going issue. Always check the motor/mounts, the E-Tracts, even the servo arms for security. You don't know if that plane you got didn't come off the line at 5:00pm on a Friday?

Gary
Sandancer is offline Find More Posts by Sandancer
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 09, 2012, 06:28 PM
I make crashing look easy..
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Nov 2012
14 Posts
Thx for the tip ... with mine I assembled and went straight to flying without incident. Probably not the best thing to do. Will check these items before the next flight. What an awesome plane !

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor12 View Post
Well, finally assembled my FF and took it out to the front paddock (reasonably close cut grass and dirt/dust) for low and high speed taxy trials. Two low speed runs went well, but on the second high speed run the aircraft just lifted off (two or 3 inches) and the port undercarriage wheel and leg assembly fell out of its upper sleeve. Pulled power off and the aircraft slewed to a halt in a cloud of dust with one broken blade and the oleo door snapped in two. The inner doors were ok. Fortunately I had fitted wing tip skids in case this ever happened so there was no other damage (tip didn't even hit ground). On investigation I found the grub screw showing two thread out of the sleeve. Both trunnion grubs were also loose. The starboard side U/C exhibited the same loose condition. I know I should've checked but I didn't . QA is obviously a little lacking at production level! Anyway, a word of warning for those new to this bird - check all nuts, bolts and anything that moves! She's all fixed and ready for a maiden early January.
joerayy is offline Find More Posts by joerayy
Old Dec 09, 2012, 07:44 PM
Australia, TAS, Thirlstane
Joined May 2012
204 Posts
Hard lesson to re-learn!!

Shane
condor12 is offline Find More Posts by condor12
Old Dec 10, 2012, 08:36 AM
Super-duper Airplane flooper
USA, OH, Toronto
Joined Oct 2009
54 Posts
I need to reinstall the gear sequencer, but as there are no markings on it, I am at a loss. Can someone help me out and let me know which one goes where? IE: inner doors on left, maingear on right or vice versa. Thanks!
TFOA is offline Find More Posts by TFOA
Old Dec 10, 2012, 03:54 PM
Sweden, Skåne County, Malmö
Joined May 2012
67 Posts
Regards Anders
vilhelmsson is offline Find More Posts by vilhelmsson
Old Dec 10, 2012, 04:21 PM
Super-duper Airplane flooper
USA, OH, Toronto
Joined Oct 2009
54 Posts
Thank you Anders!
TFOA is offline Find More Posts by TFOA
Old Dec 10, 2012, 05:02 PM
whiirrrrrr
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Nov 2011
785 Posts
In regard to sanding you really aren't going to be sanding enough to make a difference in the airfoil of the blade
So don't be afraid to sand
It won't hurt :

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterVRC View Post
I would not be grinding off parts of a blade!! Near the hub or not... let alone that near the hub is fairly useless, as it is so close to the point of pivot!! And change in a surface, from smooth to....??? 'dented', slotted, 'holed' etc etc adds a point of weakness. Umm, "Weaker-ness"...LOL. Weaker than it was in its pure form.

V8's mentioned ways of tape, paint, ca.... out on the blade.... is far more technically sound.

I think the paint idea is the best, as far as the least alteration of the blade and airflow. Though I use a band of tape myself - making sure the ends are 'downstream airflow' so they will never lift off themselves over time!

You also can't do anything that alters the blade area out in it working airflow areas. eg sand or trim back/off any! That would cause an 'aerodynamic imbalance' only seen when the prop is in use.
srt8madness is offline Find More Posts by srt8madness
Old Dec 12, 2012, 05:40 PM
flying is everything
United States, FL, Hollywood
Joined Oct 2010
273 Posts
ok just finished the cradle a few days ago. Now its all done.
jdm2ner is offline Find More Posts by jdm2ner
Last edited by jdm2ner; Dec 21, 2012 at 10:38 PM.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 05:54 PM
flying is everything
Joined Oct 2010
273 Posts
bump
Last edited by jdm2ner; Dec 21, 2012 at 10:39 PM.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 06:22 PM
San Diego
Joined Oct 2006
570 Posts
Looks like that will work well. I was not able to see the video though.

Aaron
Old Dec 12, 2012, 06:25 PM
flying is everything
Joined Oct 2010
273 Posts
click on the link on top of he video insted of play