Old Dec 05, 2012, 08:50 PM
I make crashing look easy..
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Nov 2012
14 Posts
ditto !

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8truckin View Post
Welcome! Best photo I could find of a head on view, but also a great pic all in all.
joerayy is offline Find More Posts by joerayy
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 05, 2012, 08:53 PM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Nov 2012
14 Posts
Aaron, neat idea. What size magnet and approx position on the door? Middle or outer edge ? thx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Wallace View Post
I put small magnets on the leading edge of the inner gear doors as suggested by an earlier post and it works great to keep the doors closed better.

Aaron
Old Dec 05, 2012, 08:55 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,384 Posts
Love that head on photo v8!
Aros is online now Find More Posts by Aros
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 05, 2012, 09:00 PM
flying is everything
United States, FL, Hollywood
Joined Oct 2010
272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joerayy View Post
Aaron, neat idea. What size magnet and approx position on the door? Middle or outer edge ? thx
this is where i put mine at
jdm2ner is offline Find More Posts by jdm2ner
Old Dec 05, 2012, 09:09 PM
Should've, Would've, Could've
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,764 Posts
JD,

Thanks for the pic. Exactly where im going to add mine. You never had a problem with them opening with magnets using the stock servos?
v8truckin is online now Find More Posts by v8truckin
Old Dec 05, 2012, 09:11 PM
flying is everything
United States, FL, Hollywood
Joined Oct 2010
272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8truckin View Post
JD,

Thanks for the pic. Exactly where im going to add mine. You never had a problem with them opening with magnets using the stock servos?
no never did they opend just fine
jdm2ner is offline Find More Posts by jdm2ner
Old Dec 05, 2012, 10:10 PM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Nov 2012
14 Posts
Thx for the pic, JD.. I'll be placing mine in the same spot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2ner View Post
this is where i put mine at
Old Dec 05, 2012, 10:24 PM
San Diego
Joined Oct 2006
570 Posts
That is exactly where I put mine. Servos have no problem with them. OK... I stripped a grub screw (Allen set screw) that secures the pin that goes into the retract. How do I get that out without damaging things?

Thanks,

Aaron
Aaron Wallace is offline Find More Posts by Aaron Wallace
Old Dec 06, 2012, 02:00 PM
Doctorfoamy on Youtube
United States, TX, Denton
Joined Sep 2011
176 Posts
Prop failure....???

The following video shows what I think was an inflight prop failure, or possibly a hub or firewall failure. This is a V1 plane with V2 upgrades (wing spars, struts, e-retracts).

What I initially thought was sound coming from the main gear door (which failed to retract due to a stripped servo) ended up being a serious vibration that caused a catastrophic prop/hub/firewall failure in flight at full power. You can hear the entire prop assembly self destruct just before my second pass.

If I could find the prop blades, I might be able to tell if it was the firewall letting go as the blades would be damaged from being pivoted into the plastic cowl. Otherwise, it looks as if I either had a blade break or come loose, or my hub was cracked and came apart during flight.

As a note, I had just finished a very successful flight with this plane about 30 minutes before and greased the landing. Nothing appeared to be broken during that flight, but I do remember hearing the vibration starting to make noise.

I have parts coming via BH and RC-Castle - Hong Kong express shipping. I just hope that the motor did not somehow play a role as I am not replacing it at this time.

Any arm-chair quarterbacks out there want to give this one a guess.....???

(be sure to click on the video "gear" symbol and change the resolution to 720p..)

Prop Failure in Flight - FMS 1700mm P-51 Mustang.mp4 (3 min 15 sec)
jlkitz is offline Find More Posts by jlkitz
Old Dec 06, 2012, 02:40 PM
Should've, Would've, Could've
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,764 Posts
Could it have been that your prop assembly was out of balance. I notice vibration on mine if it's out of balance and sounds differently. I land and balance it out and its whisk smooth again.

Sorry about that, but at least she's looking pretty good. You pulled that save off really well some ppl would've panic and bit the dust.
v8truckin is online now Find More Posts by v8truckin
Old Dec 06, 2012, 03:05 PM
Vermilion, OH
Joined Aug 2010
887 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlkitz View Post
The following video shows what I think was an inflight prop failure, or possibly a hub or firewall failure. This is a V1 plane with V2 upgrades (wing spars, struts, e-retracts).

What I initially thought was sound coming from the main gear door (which failed to retract due to a stripped servo) ended up being a serious vibration that caused a catastrophic prop/hub/firewall failure in flight at full power. You can hear the entire prop assembly self destruct just before my second pass.

If I could find the prop blades, I might be able to tell if it was the firewall letting go as the blades would be damaged from being pivoted into the plastic cowl. Otherwise, it looks as if I either had a blade break or come loose, or my hub was cracked and came apart during flight.

As a note, I had just finished a very successful flight with this plane about 30 minutes before and greased the landing. Nothing appeared to be broken during that flight, but I do remember hearing the vibration starting to make noise.

I have parts coming via BH and RC-Castle - Hong Kong express shipping. I just hope that the motor did not somehow play a role as I am not replacing it at this time.

Any arm-chair quarterbacks out there want to give this one a guess.....???

(be sure to click on the video "gear" symbol and change the resolution to 720p..)

http://youtu.be/AnhpSMwvFWE
I would have to agree with V8. I had to balance mine with clay on the inside of the prop hub. It runs a lot better and very little vibration. Before there was a substantial amount of vibration.
godofthunder77 is online now Find More Posts by godofthunder77
Old Dec 06, 2012, 03:48 PM
Your Pilot Ryan
United States, IN, South Bend
Joined Nov 2008
3,385 Posts
P-51B model give away. just like their page on facebook.
http://www.facebook.com/FMSmodel
ryramZ is online now Find More Posts by ryramZ
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 06, 2012, 03:49 PM
San Diego
Joined Oct 2006
570 Posts
I hope that it was just the prop out of balance because that is an easy fix. Did the firewall have sufficient adhesive with the fuselage? One of my landing gear mounting wells was not even glued in at all! Good save!

Aaron
Aaron Wallace is offline Find More Posts by Aaron Wallace
Old Dec 06, 2012, 04:35 PM
United States, VA, Richmond
Joined Aug 2012
1,152 Posts
What about the people that already liked their page?
Babadush is offline Find More Posts by Babadush
Old Dec 06, 2012, 05:28 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,384 Posts
How exactly are you guys balancing these props? Good save, btw!
Aros is online now Find More Posts by Aros
RCG Plus Member