HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 30, 2012, 09:01 AM
Canada, QC, Gatineau
Joined Jan 2011
1,957 Posts
No, the model sounds inc unit is stereo, so that you can(if you want) have one side for each motor (not that i think it needs it, not that much distinction between the two sides)
Mitchie is offline Find More Posts by Mitchie
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 30, 2012, 12:30 PM
Belarus, Vitebsk province, Vitebsk
Joined Oct 2011
24 Posts
Thank you brandonmoon.
Decided to go with TBS mini + 2x40 ampl. + 2xRS10 speakers. There is no sense in using three or more speakers with these amplifier(f.e two of them in parallel). The total volume won't increase, we can only add new sound direction.
As for the location of speakers. Maybe its better to place them all at the bottom of the aircraft?
IMO
- The sound from two speakers placed on the bottom will reflect from the ground when the aircraft is on runway. In straight flight it goes down to you and reflects from the ground too. + no ugly grill)
- When we have "motorside placement" of speakers, you can mostly hear the sound from one speaker facing to you on runway. The horizon listens for the other speaker. In flight, the sound mostly goes to nowhere, except in cases of active maneuvering when the sound cone touches your ears.
Many of us do only "flat" flyby, therefore placing speakers on the bottom of airframe is one of the way to improve the sound system.
octopuss is offline Find More Posts by octopuss
Last edited by octopuss; Nov 30, 2012 at 05:52 PM.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 09:01 PM
Fly & Have Fun..Enjoy the Ride
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Mar 2009
5,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by octopuss View Post
Thank you brandonmoon.
Decided to go with TBS mini + 2x40 ampl. + 2xRS10 speakers. There is no sense in using three or more speakers with these amplifier(f.e two of them in parallel). The total volume won't increase, we can only add new sound direction.
As for the location of speakers. Maybe its better to place them all at the bottom of the aircraft?
IMO
- The sound from two speakers placed on the bottom will reflect from the ground when the aircraft is on runway. In straight flight it goes down to you and reflects from the ground too. + no ugly grill)
- When we have "motorside placement" of speakers, you can mostly hear the sound from one speaker facing to you on runway. The horizon listens for the other speaker. In flight, the sound mostly goes to nowhere, except in cases of active maneuvering when the sound cone touches your ears.
Many of us do only "flat" flyby, therefore placing speakers on the bottom of airframe is one of the way to improve the sound system.
that's true. That's why I only put 2x 3 inch speakers on my Mustang and both on the bottom and opted not to add anymore side speakers in the sides behind the exhaust stacks, the P-47 (like Brian did) is a bit different , but sounds much better and the front speakers are angled downward slightly any way.
brandonmoon is offline Find More Posts by brandonmoon
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Relocated back to Arizona
Old Dec 01, 2012, 12:38 AM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
11,544 Posts
You can make a 'cheating' twin sound by making your own sound set and mixing engines in twice. I did this with my Me-262 (twin 'turbine').
You of course don't get individual motor control then but if your TX is programmable enough you can program it to start rotating each motor with a slight delay that you tune to match the sound you created.
Once they are 'started' and idling, the sound set has the two engines slightly out of phase so you can hear there are two in that sound total.
You can also program the shutdowns to be separate (again, if your TX is programmable enough).

If your TX is not programmable enough, then you have to plan the twin engine sound to suit that both motors must start together... or almost together, seeing you might be able to get a slight delay due to it having two motor/ESC setups anyway.

Or another way with a Benedini that you could do (if you have one motor per a RX channel so they can be controlled separately) - with some sound set and operation planning - is to not use the Benedini's own engine start process for a twin at all... you make your own via the 'Additional Sound' system. (I will call that "AS")
1) AS1 is one engine starting and going into an idle state. This is triggered first (of course) and also uses a mix to start the real motor spinning at idle at the correct time (mix with a delay)
2) AS2 is the sound of the current single engine at idle, as above, with the second engine starting up and ending at idle with engine 1. This is triggered second and takes over the first sound to continue it all 'correctly'. You will need to trigger this soon after the fist motor gets to idle, because AS1's sound length will run out.
3) The Benedini 'main' engine idle sound file is the sound of JUST the two engines idling - the same tail end file portion of AS2. You need this, and will switch to this once both engines are idling, so that it can sit there at idle as long as you want then.

You don't use Throttle Stick at all for any of that process, because the a mix drives the throttle to that minimal amount for them just to spin to 'idle'.
You can also set up all the Benedini control all the switch motions to be done by the TX in a sequence too - again if the TX is porgrammable enough to do that. Thus you just hit one switch and away it all goes doing everything required up until the engines are at idle and waiting to be 'used'. You can still use a Throttle Cut as an over-ride to kill motors instantly!

Additional Sounds can be quite useful for in flight also. Whether needing a loop, or a single shot..... and you can have 12 triggered of course. (Though the Benedini can store 16)
examples:
1) The "Mustang Whistle".... you just trigger it as a loop sound, so you choose when you want it to be there, or not.
2) Machine guns of course
3) Supercharger 'power whine' - could mix it off a high end throttle stick value - but it will take-over any other AS you might have had playing
4) Any form of 'higher engine power roar'... or sound files with multiple events sound, like engine power with supercharger... or one with just engine power roar etc etc.
PeterVRC is offline Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by PeterVRC; Dec 01, 2012 at 12:46 AM.
Old Dec 01, 2012, 01:19 AM
whiirrrrrr
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Nov 2011
785 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Wallace View Post
srt8,

Were the hinges a contributing factor in your crash? I have already put Blenderm on the flap hinges and rudder as support because I was concerned. Anyone else have hinge issues?

Aaron
Not in my case, although a few more flights and they very well could have. The foam used as a hinge breaks easily and really isn't good for a plane this size. I recommend at least taping the aileron hinges, and rehinging the elevator and rudder with flat pin hinges when possible. Flaps aren't as vital, I just did mine since one ripped off in the crash.
srt8madness is offline Find More Posts by srt8madness
Last edited by srt8madness; Dec 01, 2012 at 01:25 AM.
Old Dec 01, 2012, 02:42 AM
San Diego
Joined Oct 2006
570 Posts
Thanks for the insight srt8.

Aaron
Aaron Wallace is offline Find More Posts by Aaron Wallace
Old Dec 01, 2012, 02:56 PM
Australia, TAS, Thirlstane
Joined May 2012
177 Posts
Need some advice, guys. Bought an EMS gear and door sequencer which works fine except the inner gear doors don't stay open long enough for the gear to cycle either up or down. The result is the gear jams on the door both opening and closing. Any way to increase the inner door open time before they start to close again?
condor12 is offline Find More Posts by condor12
Old Dec 01, 2012, 03:05 PM
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Mar 2009
5,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by condor12 View Post
Need some advice, guys. Bought an EMS gear and door sequencer which works fine except the inner gear doors don't stay open long enough for the gear to cycle either up or down. The result is the gear jams on the door both opening and closing. Any way to increase the inner door open time before they start to close again?
I have 3 of them and haven't had any problems, though I know what you are refering to, there is an adjustment on the board inside the yellow box for the rate of travel..just simply adjust the pot in side to slow the gear door travel down. It's listed on the instructions that came with the EMS unit
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 01, 2012, 03:37 PM
Joined May 2012
177 Posts
Thanks Brandon. I have tried that but even on full slow the doors are very slow in operation but still close too soon, jamming the gear in both retraction and extension. Also, the doors don't fully close (remain about 1/4 inch from fully closed position). The stock sequencer works well, with doors fully closed. Maybe I have won a lemmon?!!
Old Dec 01, 2012, 03:51 PM
Should've, Would've, Could've
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,778 Posts
I think the stock gear closes too slow for that setup. My eflite 60-120 metal retracts close in half the time, but id hate for you to invest in $150 retracts. Why not just use the stock sequencer to avoid having to spend more cash.
v8truckin is offline Find More Posts by v8truckin
Old Dec 01, 2012, 03:57 PM
Joined May 2012
177 Posts
Thanks V8. Sounds like the go. Would've liked the flipper doors to close after extension, but you can't have everything!! Great machine anyway!
Old Dec 01, 2012, 04:20 PM
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Mar 2009
5,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by condor12 View Post
Thanks Brandon. I have tried that but even on full slow the doors are very slow in operation but still close too soon, jamming the gear in both retraction and extension. Also, the doors don't fully close (remain about 1/4 inch from fully closed position). The stock sequencer works well, with doors fully closed. Maybe I have won a lemmon?!!
You'll need to change the servo arm length and reposition the controll rods so that there is more travel...I also had to do that and I also have different servos in the plane for the inner gear doors...I'm useing HK 929MG Servos with the longer servo arms. The stock ones didn't work well with this sequencer
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 01, 2012, 04:39 PM
Joined May 2012
177 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonmoon View Post
You'll need to change the servo arm length and reposition the controll rods so that there is more travel...I also had to do that and I also have different servos in the plane for the inner gear doors...I'm useing HK 929MG Servos with the longer servo arms. The stock ones didn't work well with this sequencer
Thanks again, Brandon. Hadn't thought of that. This is where your experience counts. Great forum with great help for us beginners!!

Will give it a go. Cheers
Old Dec 01, 2012, 09:47 PM
San Diego
Joined Oct 2006
570 Posts
I put small magnets on the leading edge of the inner gear doors as suggested by an earlier post and it works great to keep the doors closed better.

Aaron
Aaron Wallace is offline Find More Posts by Aaron Wallace
Old Dec 02, 2012, 06:24 AM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
11,544 Posts
If you have enough channels in your RC system (TX/RX) then you could run the door servos on their own channel and control them via TX programming instead.
This would also allow you to make a mix so you can close the 'flipper doors' once the retracts are down - though depending on the TXes programming ability, you might have to have that done manually by a switch, which you could then mess up and forget to do in the correct order!
But if the TX can do enough stuff, you would be able to make it all automated correctly in programming.
PeterVRC is offline Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Skyzone Goggles - Button Shield