SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 21, 2012, 09:48 PM
Name brands compare me...Why?
United States, NJ
Joined Feb 2012
371 Posts
Has anyone softened the springs inside the strut? They seem to be rather stiff.
BRAND X is offline Find More Posts by BRAND X
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 21, 2012, 11:04 PM
Should've, Would've, Could've
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,844 Posts
I tried it on my P51 and they did work fine, did bottom out a few times on harder landings. Decided I liked the stock springs compression better. You may have to try a few different springs as I had a few and can remember the exact specs.

Also I think the P47 is a lil heavier so going to a softer spring maybe similar or worse for that particular plane.
v8truckin is offline Find More Posts by v8truckin
Old Oct 21, 2012, 11:07 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
11,762 Posts
You can usually cut off some coil to soften oleo springs. Most usually have a fair bit of compression already when just assembled to full extension, so there is coil to spare.
The cut end best to go against the oleo leg (lower) end then.

Remove the locator pin so you can calculate how much 'more' spring there is than required in there as it comes. eg It might be something like 5mm to 10mm 'too long' (or even more).
Best to do small cut-offs.... like 1/4 turn or 1/2 turn.... re-assemble and test them on the aircraft's weight. Then adjust/cut more as required.... and go around that loop again.
Of course you don't really want to ever end up with the spring shorter than the 'pushrod gap' of the extended length! But you might only need as little as 5mm longer than that gap.
PeterVRC is offline Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 21, 2012, 11:13 PM
Joined Nov 2006
11,762 Posts
Or you could always 'upgrade' to quality struts... like these, or whichever ones in their list are the best fit.
It is not hard to mod them DOWN in length, from 10mm to 15mm shorter is easy. So you aim for LONGER ones, if none are exactly right as they come. (springs can be softened by cutting too).

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...161mm_2pc.html
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 21, 2012, 11:22 PM
Fly & Have Fun..Enjoy the Ride
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Mar 2009
5,659 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterVRC View Post
Or you could always 'upgrade' to quality struts... like these, or whichever ones in their list are the best fit.
It is not hard to mod them DOWN in length, from 10mm to 15mm shorter is easy. So you aim for LONGER ones, if none are exactly right as they come. (springs can be softened by cutting too).

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...161mm_2pc.html
Those struts wont fit the tires and cause problems in the wheel well when retracted....Already been there
brandonmoon is offline Find More Posts by brandonmoon
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Relocated back to Arizona
Old Oct 22, 2012, 12:04 AM
"Auntie Samantha"
USA, MO, Clever
Joined Dec 2009
4,735 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronht View Post
First of all, I absolutely love this airplane, however, I'm still pulling my hair out over landing gear problems.

These are Version 2 struts on V2 retracts. The retracts are flawless now, but I keep having problems with the struts breaking and rotating where they start to angle out around the wheel.

I've tightened and lock-tited the allen screws on the bottom, and still have a problems with strut rotating or becoming lose at that point and breaking the plastic housing. What I'd do to see that part in metal to give the extra support needed to the one allen screw on the bottom.

My latest effort is to use zip ties to attempt to give the area more support. BTW, none of my landings have been hard, I think it's the repeated unevenness of the grass runway at our field that's causing most of this.

Am I the only one seeing this problem? What are you guys doing out there to address this?

Thanks in advance for any input you have. I would really like to be able to fly this aircraft more than 2 or three flights without having to fix the landing gear.

I thought FMS solved this problem with these "V2" struts? The only way you're going to solve this problem is to have them welded!

Gary
Sandancer is offline Find More Posts by Sandancer
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 22, 2012, 12:34 AM
Joined Nov 2006
11,762 Posts
That was why I mentioned to check the other struts in the list.
I don't know the wheel size, but 70mm or 80mm would do?
Surely they can be made to fit.... you can usually modify base items to suit needs by adding/modding stuff.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._Pin_2pc_.html

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...168mm_2pc.html
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 22, 2012, 01:57 AM
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,844 Posts
Anyone have a spare tailwheel and retract they wanna get rid of? Broke my trunnion and of course the spares I have don't work on this retract because it's thinner retract. BH is out of stock and don't wanna wait 2-3wka for HK shipping. I've got a spare 1400/1450mm tailwheel and retract and may give that a try.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 02:20 AM
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Mar 2009
5,659 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8truckin View Post
Anyone have a spare tailwheel and retract they wanna get rid of? Broke my trunnion and of course the spares I have don't work on this retract because it's thinner retract. BH is out of stock and don't wanna wait 2-3wka for HK shipping. I've got a spare 1400/1450mm tailwheel and retract and may give that a try.
Those work fine...that's actually what I have in my origional FF Mustang for the tail wheel. You may have to modify the servo horn and mount bracket just a bit, but they work great and mine is still hold on strong today
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by brandonmoon; Oct 22, 2012 at 05:58 AM.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 09:02 AM
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,844 Posts
Did you use the 1450mm wire? It isn't curved towards the rear like the 1.7m ,but is rather straight down. I was figuring I could swap the wheel assembly out and into the 1450mm tailwheel retract.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 02:25 PM
Craig
Los Angeles, CA.
Joined Aug 2010
45 Posts
Brandonmoon

Now all you have to do is make the crew members who sit on the wing as the P-51 is taxi'ng to the runway. LOL Do anyone know exactly why the crew members would sit out on the left wing of the Warbirds when the planes were on their way out to the runway? Was it because it was near impossible for the pilots to see the runway when on the ground?
brosho is offline Find More Posts by brosho
Old Oct 22, 2012, 06:13 PM
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Mar 2009
5,659 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8truckin View Post
Did you use the 1450mm wire? It isn't curved towards the rear like the 1.7m ,but is rather straight down. I was figuring I could swap the wheel assembly out and into the 1450mm tailwheel retract.
Yup swaped out the wheel assy.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 22, 2012, 06:21 PM
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,844 Posts
Cool! My cockpit should be delivered today so imma start on the detailing and hopefully have it done by wknd.
Last edited by v8truckin; Oct 22, 2012 at 11:36 PM.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 02:05 AM
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Mar 2009
5,659 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brosho View Post
Brandonmoon

Now all you have to do is make the crew members who sit on the wing as the P-51 is taxi'ng to the runway. LOL Do anyone know exactly why the crew members would sit out on the left wing of the Warbirds when the planes were on their way out to the runway? Was it because it was near impossible for the pilots to see the runway when on the ground?
That is absolutely correct....The P-51 crews did that also
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 23, 2012, 06:15 AM
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Mar 2009
5,659 Posts
Here are pictures of the bottom two speakers (3 in.) on the Mustang for the Benedini sound system addition...With and without speaker grills. There will be 2 more smaller visaton (2 in.) speakers behind the exhaust stacks when they arrive
RCG Plus Member