Old Oct 20, 2012, 12:30 PM
Name brands compare me...Why?
United States, NJ
Joined Feb 2012
371 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aros View Post
Holy smokes I have some work to do.
Love those new boxes...from one designer to another. Can you get them to work on their manuals also?
BRAND X is offline Find More Posts by BRAND X
Old Oct 20, 2012, 12:32 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,407 Posts
Hey thanks man! Coming from a fellow designer that means a lot.

Yeah, holy cow the manuals do need work, don't they?
Aros is offline Find More Posts by Aros
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 20, 2012, 12:39 PM
Name brands compare me...Why?
United States, NJ
Joined Feb 2012
371 Posts
I'd help if you need it. I was hooked on park zone but I think these fly better. They need to give some warm and fuzzies to the customer.
BRAND X is offline Find More Posts by BRAND X
Old Oct 20, 2012, 04:01 PM
Fly & Have Fun..Enjoy the Ride
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Mar 2009
5,659 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAND X View Post
More sales pitch!
Thanks my friend....those are outstanding. I saved them all, and I will definately use those and the one you made for me....its beautiful
brandonmoon is offline Find More Posts by brandonmoon
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Relocated back to Arizona
Old Oct 21, 2012, 07:39 AM
I can fix it.
Cochranton, Pa.
Joined Nov 2005
1,404 Posts
What is the prop diameter and the spinner diameter for this plane?
nageotte is online now Find More Posts by nageotte
Old Oct 21, 2012, 01:25 PM
ronht
Joined Sep 2009
415 Posts
First of all, I absolutely love this airplane, however, I'm still pulling my hair out over landing gear problems.

These are Version 2 struts on V2 retracts. The retracts are flawless now, but I keep having problems with the struts breaking and rotating where they start to angle out around the wheel.

I've tightened and lock-tited the allen screws on the bottom, and still have a problems with strut rotating or becoming lose at that point and breaking the plastic housing. What I'd do to see that part in metal to give the extra support needed to the one allen screw on the bottom.

My latest effort is to use zip ties to attempt to give the area more support. BTW, none of my landings have been hard, I think it's the repeated unevenness of the grass runway at our field that's causing most of this.

Am I the only one seeing this problem? What are you guys doing out there to address this?

Thanks in advance for any input you have. I would really like to be able to fly this aircraft more than 2 or three flights without having to fix the landing gear.
ronht is offline Find More Posts by ronht
Old Oct 21, 2012, 01:35 PM
Should've, Would've, Could've
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,847 Posts
If you have access to a welder that is the best solution. Remove plastic cover from curved portion and tack weld the curved part to the strut then glue/CA plastic cover back on. Or remove cover and make sure set screw is tight or even there, where you have your ziptie. If it's still rotates after tightening it try to retap and you a larger socket head set screw which will make tightening easier and add a dab of CA. If the wire which hold the wheel where it is secured by the grub screw is rounded then welding is the best option. Hope it all makes sense.

On another not broke a tailwheel trunnion today. Hit a road reflector on landing and the force cracked the trunnion, landing was soft and greased. Lol headache to another wise perfect day flying, oh well easy fix and could've been worse.
v8truckin is online now Find More Posts by v8truckin
Last edited by v8truckin; Oct 21, 2012 at 03:19 PM.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 02:16 PM
ronht
Joined Sep 2009
415 Posts
Thanks for the tips V8, I don't have access to a welder, too bad we can't get FMS to do that for us.
ronht is offline Find More Posts by ronht
Old Oct 21, 2012, 02:45 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,407 Posts
I wish the struts could be magically welded/molded to the retract itself so there's never any issues other than the one-piece unit itself failing. It's still my greatest frustration with these warbirds.
Aros is offline Find More Posts by Aros
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 21, 2012, 06:48 PM
United States, CA, Thousand Oaks
Joined Aug 2012
1,276 Posts
Was SOO close to getting 1 of these.....but due to the gear Issues...I went for Souped up FunCub build instead......Ohhh I was close
Weed89 is offline Find More Posts by Weed89
Old Oct 21, 2012, 07:03 PM
Fly & Have Fun..Enjoy the Ride
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Mar 2009
5,659 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aros View Post
I wish the struts could be magically welded/molded to the retract itself so there's never any issues other than the one-piece unit itself failing. It's still my greatest frustration with these warbirds.
LOL...actually, it's the same fiddle factor with just about any RC Model...be it foam, composite, or wood build up, it doesn't matter which. The fiddle factor goes way up on any plane you add retracts to.

It's all just part of the hobby
brandonmoon is offline Find More Posts by brandonmoon
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Relocated back to Arizona
Old Oct 21, 2012, 07:31 PM
Should've, Would've, Could've
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,847 Posts
Thank god my stepdad has his own welding business. Dropped em off and problem solved. Now with the eflite and welded v2 struts she could probably drop from 10' and foam would give before anything.

Ron,
You can try jb weld, but I would let it sit for awhile before flying again that in conjunction with retapping with a larger socket head hex screw/grub screw.
v8truckin is online now Find More Posts by v8truckin