HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 12, 2012, 06:58 PM
Name brands compare me...Why?
United States, NJ
Joined Feb 2012
369 Posts
Have you turned the radio off/on and unplugged the battery each time you try another connection? You also have to cycle the gear 2 of 3 times before they work. Just a thought...
BRAND X is offline Find More Posts by BRAND X
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 12, 2012, 07:55 PM
Grounded in NC
Joined Aug 2012
52 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAND X View Post
Have you turned the radio off/on and unplugged the battery each time you try another connection? You also have to cycle the gear 2 of 3 times before they work. Just a thought...
No but 'll try it.
wmartin817 is offline Find More Posts by wmartin817
Old Sep 12, 2012, 07:59 PM
Fly & Have Fun..Enjoy the Ride
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Mar 2009
5,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmartin817 View Post
Well, it seems things dont want to work right on the wings.
I hooked things up directly, bypassing the new connection modules for the wing and the ailerons worked but the gear and flaps are deadstick.

It has been this way from the start. Do you think I have a case to ask HB to take a return (its probably over the strict time limit and I have done some touch up painting). Or do I need to buy a new one?
Give me a call 480 415-5924
brandonmoon is offline Find More Posts by brandonmoon
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Relocated back to Arizona
Old Sep 12, 2012, 08:26 PM
San Diego
Joined Oct 2006
570 Posts
Hi group. I just received the new struts from Raymond at RC-Castle and they are the newest all metal ones! Interestingly, they arrived before the new retracts and spare prop blades that I ordered a week earlier. I got all the control surfaces working properly with my JR receiver. CH1 is the throttle but, everything else was as labled. The old retracts seem to be working properly so far. I pulled the motor out to put washers behind the back plate to get the correct right thrust (there are no standoffs the screws just go through two back plates for some reason) and the screws that held the motor to the mount were not very tight and neither were the ones holding the motor to the backplates and there was no evidence of any kind of locktight! I am not sure what to say about that.

Aaron
Aaron Wallace is offline Find More Posts by Aaron Wallace
Old Sep 12, 2012, 08:47 PM
United States, CA, Thousand Oaks
Joined Aug 2012
1,273 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Wallace View Post
Hi group. I just received the new struts from Raymond at RC-CastleAaron

Hi, I ordered some stuff from him too <first time> is he reputable? and aprox how long does it take to receive stuff from him < to the usa> ?

Thanks in advance...as I Paid useing paypal < all went through..money gone> but all my items are still showing in his shopping cart...as of yet he has not replied to my email either.

.........+++++++++++.....
Thanks V8trucking.....I will not sidetrack this fourm further...Hope He fixes the shipping issue....I missed the "return to Merchant button...didnt ever see it...anyway Thanks
Weed89 is offline Find More Posts by Weed89
Last edited by Weed89; Sep 12, 2012 at 09:21 PM.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 08:58 PM
Should've, Would've, Could've
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,701 Posts
Depending on the shipping method you used, cheaper shipping: 2wks & Fast: 3-5days. He is one of the most trusted vendors and a great help. When did you order? Most of his stuff ships out or email responses are in the late evening & early morning USA time.
v8truckin is online now Find More Posts by v8truckin
Old Sep 12, 2012, 08:59 PM
San Diego
Joined Oct 2006
570 Posts
Some good news for me is that after reseating the screws that hold the motor to the backplates (two of the screws were not aligned properly, even with the countersink holes) with locktight there is no longer misalignment of the thrust line!

Aaron
Aaron Wallace is offline Find More Posts by Aaron Wallace
Old Sep 12, 2012, 09:47 PM
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,701 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aros View Post
Do you know what size you went with?
Here ya go Dubro 6-32 1/4" socket head screw

http://www.toysonics.com/dubro-574-s...-32x1-4-4.html.

You'll never strip em, well at least most ppl won't.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 10:16 PM
United States, CA, El Dorado Hills
Joined Apr 2010
60 Posts
Eflite Retracts....Thanks

V8 and BM,

Thanks for the help. I do have the smaller Eflites and have put them on the smaller 57" FMS Mustang.

I didn't get any answers on that thread, so I thought I would ask the "Real Pros" !!

Any thoughts on putting the FMS struts into the 3.5mm holes?

Could the holes in the trundel be drilled and still leave enough support?

I ground my FMS units down, but it is not a very satisfactory solution.

Thanks for the help.

Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8truckin View Post
The eflite 60-120 metal retracts are 5mm holes. If your are using smaller eflite retracts then they are of a smaller size.

Here's the link

http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/De...ProdID=EFLG400
LakeTahoeJim is offline Find More Posts by LakeTahoeJim
Old Sep 12, 2012, 11:36 PM
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,701 Posts
Tahoe,

2nd question, are they are these plastic eflites

10-15 plastic retracts rated up to 5lbs Don't use em

http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/De...ProdID=EFLG100

15-25 plastic retracts rated for up to 7lbs Pushing the weight limit of the rtracts

http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/De...ProdID=EFLG200

or

These smaller 25-46 metal retracts rated up to 10lbs You can drill out the trunnion to accept the FMS strut pin Sbrotton used these

http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/De...ProdID=EFLG300
Old Sep 12, 2012, 11:39 PM
Fly & Have Fun..Enjoy the Ride
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Mar 2009
5,657 Posts
Jim....If it was up to me...I would drill out the trunion on those e-flite retracts to fit the 5mm pin.
brandonmoon is offline Find More Posts by brandonmoon
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Relocated back to Arizona
Old Sep 13, 2012, 12:40 AM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,343 Posts
I got an update from FMS tonight regarding the retracts...(Some editing for translation)..

"Good news about the P51 is that our own FMS retracts for the 1700mm P51 is ready now!! We have two versions of the 1700mm retracts, one is metal and the other plastic. The metal retract is only for parts, the whole body is made of metal. The plastic retract with metal trunnion is for the Kit. I will send you our new plastic version with your Red Tail P51, and hope you will like it and help us test it. We will release both two versions in early October if everything is confirmed."
Aros is offline Find More Posts by Aros
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 13, 2012, 02:39 AM
Most people are stupid!
Australia, QLD, Gold Coast
Joined Oct 2011
3,931 Posts
Just gotta say, I'm loving the V8 prop mod. Best thing anyone can do to the plane
dambit is online now Find More Posts by dambit
Old Sep 13, 2012, 07:48 AM
Vermilion, OH
Joined Aug 2010
886 Posts
Got my new V2 Gear struts and I must say they are very sturdy. The only thing that concerns me is the little tiny C Clamp they used to hold the wheel on. It just seems that could come off way to easy with a tough landing. I think I may use the wheel collars from the old ones. Does anyone know how those little C-Clamps are holding up?
godofthunder77 is offline Find More Posts by godofthunder77
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 13, 2012, 08:12 AM
ronht
Joined Sep 2009
415 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder77 View Post
Got my new V2 Gear struts and I must say they are very sturdy. The only thing that concerns me is the little tiny C Clamp they used to hold the wheel on. It just seems that could come off way to easy with a tough landing. I think I may use the wheel collars from the old ones. Does anyone know how those little C-Clamps are holding up?
Not well,

One of my C-clips on the new gear popped off on the first landing causing me to loose the wheel and breaking the gear door off in addition to breaking two prop blades.

I was able to do a field repair on the wheel with a wheel axel collar, but only after cutting into the wheel hub to get enough room to get the wheel collar on the axel because the axel is too short to get the wheel collar something to grab.

Not a good remedy but so far workable. I highly recommend everyone attempt to get a wheel collar on for security as I now have to order a new gear door and some more prop blades.

FMS - if you guys are reading this, you are really on the right track with these new metal struts, however, the axels need to be longer so we can use axel collars as before instead of the C-clips.
ronht is offline Find More Posts by ronht