Old Sep 09, 2012, 01:01 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8truckin View Post
Aros,

Guess the prop mod was a lil too much since you had to lay off that throttle. Its like hitting the NOS button, lol!

Also you'll be glad to know I finally got my landing settle in where I just coast in nice and slow and touchdown with out stalling or coming in hot. Finally I can relax on those landings!
Yes, it most definitely is like NOS! I was about 1/3 throttle in order not to pass...(Sorry Wayne, lol)...

Great to hear on your landings. I'm finding my sweet spot as well. I glide her in under power and chop the throttle to idle about 3 feet off the ground but with the nose still pointed slightly down to keep from stalling, then about six inches off the ground I flare for a 2-point...Been working great. Feels good doesn't it?
Aros is offline Find More Posts by Aros
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 09, 2012, 01:02 PM
Fly & Have Fun..Enjoy the Ride
Joined Mar 2009
5,655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandancer View Post
The struts I got from FMS, the aluminum/plastic ones, don't have any grub reliefs ground on them. With the new PZ-V2 E-Tracts you have 3 different locations to secure the struts with grub screws. That should lock those pins in tight as long as there are reliefs.

Gary
That's odd, I have 6 sets of those same struts ( stock one and replacement ones) and they all have Flat spots ground on steel pin (at both ends) for secureing the strut to the retract unit and the strut it self
brandonmoon is offline Find More Posts by brandonmoon
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Relocated back to Arizona
Old Sep 09, 2012, 01:06 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,313 Posts
Well the JB-Weld didn't hold on one of the struts. Where it settled onto the base of the trunnion (the plane was curing over night upside down), once I tested the struts by gently twisting, the seal gave and it spins again.

Grrrrrrrrrr.......Any suggestions on how to JB-Weld these struts on where they don't budge AND clear the sides so they still cycle without getting caught on JB-Weld?
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 09, 2012, 01:33 PM
Should've, Would've, Could've
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,583 Posts
Aros

Just to reconfirm, is it the grub screws in the retract trunnion unit that is the problem or the grub screw in the oleo strut that secures the pin to the strut (the socket head screw i had had in the last pics). I think that may be where Gary is confused, as I thought you were referring to the grub screw the secures the pin to the strut...or im confused.
v8truckin is offline Find More Posts by v8truckin
Old Sep 09, 2012, 01:37 PM
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,583 Posts
Heck ya it feels great when you make those nice landings. I tell people that watch me fly and ask about get into the hobby that flying is the easy part, landing is the hard part. Like ive said before it wasnt a good flight if my landing was bad. Glad to hear your got your Mojo back also...phew!
Old Sep 09, 2012, 01:52 PM
Joined Mar 2009
5,655 Posts
Quote:
Aros

Just to reconfirm, is it the grub screws in the retract trunnion unit that is the problem or the grub screw in the oleo strut that secures the pin to the strut (the socket head screw i had had in the last pics). I think that may be where Gary is confused, as I thought you were referring to the grub screw the secures the pin to the strut...or im confused.
Just got off the phone with him, and I think he's now got it fixed. When the grub screw that is in the strut portion rounds out....it helps to use heat to get it out
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 09, 2012, 02:12 PM
"Auntie Samantha"
USA, MO, Clever
Joined Dec 2009
4,734 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Wallace View Post
Just to clarify, the V1.5 retracts do not have flats ground into the struts but the PZ-V2 has 3 flats or do you have to take them apart and grind the 3 spots yourself. I have the PZ-V2s on the way. I am surprised that FMS has to go through the same deficiencies and upgrade process for the same issues from one plane to the next. I had the 1400mm V6 and it had flats ground in the struts and never had a problem.

Aaron
A factory installed strut/E-Tract combination should already have the reliefs ground in, such as the case on your V6 because they already know the combination.

What you have to factor in with mix & match set ups, eg: FMS/RC SkyLite etc. aluminum strut to a PZ 514 has a different grub screw location, 15mm from hole to top of trunnion. Where as the PZ-V2's 2 locations are only 5mm from the top of the trunnion with a third location 90 off, 15mm from the top. Even the E-Flite 60-120's have different locations as well.

The struts you have in your plane right now will not have the correct relief location for the PZ-V2's you have coming so you'll need to grind some new ones.

Those original struts FMS sent me for review months ago (previous post #5458) had no reliefs ground in them because FMS didn't know what E-Tract I would be installing them in?

I hope this clarifies things for 'ya!

Gary
Sandancer is offline Find More Posts by Sandancer
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 09, 2012, 02:22 PM
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,583 Posts
Oops my bad took Aarons problem/question and thought it was Aros problem/question, My bad Gary. Thats what happens when your watching Football, BBQ'n, Drinking ice cold beer and checking the threads. Went flying early just so i can enjoy sunday football opening. Or maybe it was a combo of both having same problems...oh well, lunch is almost ready!
Old Sep 09, 2012, 02:24 PM
Joined Apr 2008
260 Posts
Had another 4 flights yesterday during an amazing late summer day. It was my 2nd day at the flying club that a joined 3 weeks ago and just like the first day a lot of people showed interest in the Mustang. We even had some visitors form Canada; warbird lovers flying gassers. When I showed them the scale operation of the gear doors I've programmed and my special 'hydraulics off' mode (flaps down, gear doors down,) even they were impressed.

Again the Mustang really showed what it could do. With the new v2 retracts and new all metal struts I'd say it's the perfect foam warbird. It can really fly scale wise and again landings were greasers; I even got some applause! Can't wait to fly again.
Lenop is online now Find More Posts by Lenop
Old Sep 09, 2012, 02:27 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,313 Posts
Talked to Brandon on the phone who really helped me get it all sorted out. Took the pin out of the trunnion, sanded it down and applied JB-Weld to the pin itself. That should do it. Thanks again Brandon.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 09, 2012, 02:40 PM
"Auntie Samantha"
USA, MO, Clever
Joined Dec 2009
4,734 Posts
Quote:
Oops my bad took Aarons problem/question and thought it was Aros problem/question, My bad Gary. Thats what happens when your watching Football, BBQ'n, Drinking ice cold beer and checking the threads. Went flying early just so i can enjoy sunday football opening. Or maybe it was a combo of both having same problems...oh well, lunch is almost ready!
Know what 'cha mean! I'm kinda distracted with the 1 week delay of the Big Go in Indy myself!

Gary
Sandancer is offline Find More Posts by Sandancer
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 09, 2012, 02:54 PM
Joined Mar 2009
5,655 Posts
To go along with what Gary was posting earlier. here are some pistures of the different retracts units used and thier strut pins
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 09, 2012, 03:45 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,313 Posts
Go Seahawks! Whooo! Oh wait, wrong forum site.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 09, 2012, 04:01 PM
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,583 Posts
Oh ya that's the Canadian Footbal League thread site, Aros!
Old Sep 09, 2012, 04:18 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,313 Posts
Dem are fightin' werds!!
RCG Plus Member