SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 08, 2012, 11:16 PM
Should've, Would've, Could've
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,701 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick371 View Post
I like the bullet hole detail, especially on the cowl! Looks like your pilot got lucky and should maybe check 6 a little more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aros View Post
LOL! Love the bullet holes!
Thanks guys! Small details make every bit of difference.

SLICK ya he sure does!
v8truckin is online now Find More Posts by v8truckin
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 08, 2012, 11:19 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,343 Posts
The Starmax has a great scale mold and flies good too. The FMS 1.7 has a few more scale features and touches but both look great.
Aros is offline Find More Posts by Aros
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 08, 2012, 11:51 PM
Experienced but not an Expert
United States, WA, Enumclaw
Joined May 2011
394 Posts
Yay! Video is finally done!

P-51 Mustang Tandem Flight. (5 min 58 sec)
seahawk1984 is offline Find More Posts by seahawk1984
Old Sep 09, 2012, 12:25 AM
"Auntie Samantha"
USA, MO, Clever
Joined Dec 2009
4,734 Posts
Quote:
Yeah they are nice and slow. I like it.

Well, I am frustrated with the constant need to tighten the allen nuts to keep the strut from pivoting on the pin. One of the nuts stripped so I can't even tighten or loosen anymore. The retracts, struts and all the components of the PZV2s are great but there needs to be a better way to keep the struts from pivoting on it's base so easily. This is a problem with every retract system I have ever owned.

I am debating having someone weld the damn things on to the pin. That way, they will never pivot again until I destroy the entire retracts or plane. I wish they were made as one piece. Retracts, struts, all one piece. Not sure how possible or practical that is but when I am considering welding the things something has to be better than the current system.

Thoughts?
Sorry Todd, but you can't weld steel to aluminum! Do you not grind flats on your strut pins?

Gary

Sandancer is offline Find More Posts by Sandancer
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 09, 2012, 12:28 AM
Name brands compare me...Why?
United States, NJ
Joined Feb 2012
369 Posts
That brought a tear to my eye...beautiful. Thanks for the vid guys.
BRAND X is offline Find More Posts by BRAND X
Old Sep 09, 2012, 12:43 AM
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,701 Posts
Seahawk, surprised you haven't had Aros paint your starmax yet. I'd be all over that if I was closer.

Nevermind about the video question. Aros video kept loading instead of yours. Nice job editing love 2 views.
Last edited by v8truckin; Sep 09, 2012 at 02:02 AM.
Old Sep 09, 2012, 12:48 AM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,343 Posts
Nice job Wayne! Looking forward to some tighter formations down the road!

Gary, no I have never grinded down the pins...Do you need to do that more than the way they come stock?
Aros is offline Find More Posts by Aros
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 09, 2012, 02:50 AM
Joined May 2011
394 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8truckin View Post
Seahawk, surprised you haven't had Aros paint your starmax yet. I'd be all over that if I was closer.

Nevermind about the video question. Aros video kept loading instead of yours. Nice job editing love 2 views.
I've been to busy trying to get my helicopters working, and upgrading the motor and ESC on my Mustang to have time for painting. But now I'm going to upgrade my retracts, and I might have to order a new set of wings to do that (gorilla glued my stock retracts in, and don't think they are going to come out easy). So, figured I'd wait for the new wings, get new retracts in, then I'll be ready for a new paint job.
Old Sep 09, 2012, 03:11 AM
Joined May 2011
394 Posts
Thought you guys might like to see the unedited version of our tandem video. I don't have any of the inflight video in this one. This has what was being said on the ground during the flight. You may find some of it humorous. Enjoy!

P-51 Tandem Flight Unedited (7 min 48 sec)
Old Sep 09, 2012, 06:17 AM
Doctorfoamy on Youtube
United States, TX, Denton
Joined Sep 2011
176 Posts
shoot location

Quote:
Originally Posted by twiztidbowler View Post
When watching this vid, I realized that the P-51 is flying over one of our flying fields (Westlake) on Lake Lewisville north of Dallas Texas. Certainly off topic....but I had to post a pic of mine to confirm what I saw - taken from a Diamond 2500(mm) glider with a Go Pro. Guess I better keep my altitude down because there are Unlimited Class P-51 Racers in the area!
jlkitz is offline Find More Posts by jlkitz
Old Sep 09, 2012, 09:00 AM
Joined Jan 2011
380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seahawk1984 View Post
Thought you guys might like to see the unedited version of our tandem video. I don't have any of the inflight video in this one. This has what was being said on the ground during the flight. You may find some of it humorous. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBZcV...ature=youtu.be
I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one who gets so nervous that their fingers jump around HEHE!!!! Enjoyed the video
warbirdfan2 is offline Find More Posts by warbirdfan2
Old Sep 09, 2012, 09:43 AM
United States, TN, Collierville
Joined Jun 2012
34 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seahawk1984 View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBZcV...ature=youtu.be
It was more than humerous, it was hilarious!
Slick371 is offline Find More Posts by Slick371
Old Sep 09, 2012, 11:35 AM
"Auntie Samantha"
USA, MO, Clever
Joined Dec 2009
4,734 Posts
Quote:
Nice job Wayne! Looking forward to some tighter formations down the road!

Gary, no I have never grinded down the pins...Do you need to do that more than the way they come stock?
The struts I got from FMS, the aluminum/plastic ones, don't have any grub reliefs ground on them. With the new PZ-V2 E-Tracts you have 3 different locations to secure the struts with grub screws. That should lock those pins in tight as long as there are reliefs.

Gary
Sandancer is offline Find More Posts by Sandancer
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 09, 2012, 11:54 AM
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,701 Posts
Aros/Seahawk,

That unedited video was classic! Thanks for the laugh.

Seahawk,

Totally understand you being nervous happens to every pilot no matter how many yrs. exp. you have. That's another hidden enjoyment that keeps use flying.

Aros,

Guess the prop mod was a lil too much since you had to lay off that throttle. Its like hitting the NOS button, lol!

Also you'll be glad to know I finally got my landing settle in where I just coast in nice and slow and touchdown with out stalling or coming in hot. Finally I can relax on those landings!
Old Sep 09, 2012, 12:56 PM
San Diego
Joined Oct 2006
570 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandancer View Post
The struts I got from FMS, the aluminum/plastic ones, don't have any grub reliefs ground on them. With the new PZ-V2 E-Tracts you have 3 different locations to secure the struts with grub screws. That should lock those pins in tight as long as there are reliefs.

Gary

Just to clarify, the V1.5 retracts do not have flats ground into the struts but the PZ-V2 has 3 flats or do you have to take them apart and grind the 3 spots yourself. I have the PZ-V2s on the way. I am surprised that FMS has to go through the same deficiencies and upgrade process for the same issues from one plane to the next. I had the 1400mm V6 and it had flats ground in the struts and never had a problem.

Aaron
Aaron Wallace is offline Find More Posts by Aaron Wallace