Aros is offline Find More Posts by Aros
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 08, 2012, 08:30 PM
Should've, Would've, Could've
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,663 Posts
Nice vid aros. hey those PZV2 retracts really take that long to retract once gear door are down I counted about 8sec. or did you use a different sequencer?
v8truckin is online now Find More Posts by v8truckin
Old Sep 08, 2012, 08:36 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,318 Posts
Yeah they are nice and slow. I like it.

Well, I am frustrated with the constant need to tighten the allen nuts to keep the strut from pivoting on the pin. One of the nuts stripped so I can't even tighten or loosen anymore. The retracts, struts and all the components of the PZV2s are great but there needs to be a better way to keep the struts from pivoting on it's base so easily. This is a problem with every retract system I have ever owned.

I am debating having someone weld the damn things on to the pin. That way, they will never pivot again until I destroy the entire retracts or plane. I wish they were made as one piece. Retracts, struts, all one piece. Not sure how possible or practical that is but when I am considering welding the things something has to be better than the current system.

Thoughts?
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 08, 2012, 08:41 PM
Most people are stupid!
Australia, QLD, Gold Coast
Joined Oct 2011
3,823 Posts
The same thing was happening to my FMS FW-190, I just epoxied it all together and have never looked back.
dambit is offline Find More Posts by dambit
Old Sep 08, 2012, 08:48 PM
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,663 Posts
Ya that set scew that secures the oleo strut to the 5mm music wire really sucks. It was a pain the to get it out but i managed to with Gary's Harbor freight Hex set recommendation. If i didnt strip the screw id strip a allen until i got those. Anyhow it replaced those with these socket head screws and the havent budged a bit plus they dont strip and you know how I land . These might not be the exact size but same brand/idea. I suggest you look into em. I can get you the size i used if needed, but I think i may have had to re-tap/thread the oleo strut.

http://www.toysonics.com/dubro-309-s...-56x1-4-4.html
Last edited by v8truckin; Sep 08, 2012 at 09:11 PM.
Old Sep 08, 2012, 09:06 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,318 Posts
Thanks for the tip! dambit, I have epoxied many times before with various retracts and at first it holds but inevitably after a while the epoxy loosens and I'm back at square one, plus ugly epoxy marks, lol...Sounds like you've been luckier than I have with the epoxy.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 08, 2012, 09:13 PM
Fly & Have Fun..Enjoy the Ride
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Mar 2009
5,656 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aros View Post
Thanks for the tip! dambit, I have epoxied many times before with various retracts and at first it holds but inevitably after a while the epoxy loosens and I'm back at square one, plus ugly epoxy marks, lol...Sounds like you've been luckier than I have with the epoxy.
LOL...Try JB-Weld, but don't ever expect to get them back off
brandonmoon is offline Find More Posts by brandonmoon
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Relocated back to Arizona
Old Sep 08, 2012, 09:32 PM
Most people are stupid!
Australia, QLD, Gold Coast
Joined Oct 2011
3,823 Posts
Yeah I should have mentioned that I used JB-Weld and not regular epoxy.
dambit is offline Find More Posts by dambit
Old Sep 08, 2012, 09:41 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,318 Posts
JB-Weld...I'll check that out..Thanks!
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 08, 2012, 09:54 PM
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,663 Posts
Dogfighting wounds and Socket head screws on struts

My 1st attempt at waterslide decals. Lt. Margarita went to battle today, but survived to fly onther day. Still trying to get the feel so went with something small before I do my SU35 #s.

Also the Socket head screw i used to keep the oleo struts secure and wobble free. A dab of C.A. and they havent budged a bit. Even hit a curb and nothing!
Last edited by v8truckin; Sep 08, 2012 at 10:03 PM.
Old Sep 08, 2012, 10:37 PM
United States, TN, Collierville
Joined Jun 2012
34 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8truckin View Post
My 1st attempt at waterslide decals. Lt. Margarita went to battle today, but survived to fly onther day. Still trying to get the feel so went with something small before I do my SU35 #s.

Also the Socket head screw i used to keep the oleo struts secure and wobble free. A dab of C.A. and they havent budged a bit. Even hit a curb and nothing!
I like the bullet hole detail, especially on the cowl! Looks like your pilot got lucky and should maybe check 6 a little more.
Slick371 is offline Find More Posts by Slick371
Old Sep 08, 2012, 10:51 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,318 Posts
LOL! Love the bullet holes!

Okay I went and got the JB-Weld and applied it to both strut bases. I used gorilla tape around the perimeter of the trunnion so none would leak down into the trunnion and retract (that would be bad).

I'll let it set overnight. Hopefully that ends the issue with the wobbly struts. If it does, I will be adding JB-Weld to all my plane's struts/retracts.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 08, 2012, 10:55 PM
Experienced but not an Expert
United States, WA, Enumclaw
Joined May 2011
394 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aros View Post
LOL! Love the bullet holes!

Okay I went and got the JB-Weld and applied it to both strut bases. I used gorilla tape around the perimeter of the trunnion so none would leak down into the trunnion and retract (that would be bad).

I'll let it set overnight. Hopefully that ends the issue with the wobbly struts. If it does, I will be adding JB-Weld to all my plane's struts/retracts.
Hey Aros, I didn't even think about using JB-Weld on your struts. I love that stuff! That should work great!

I've also uploaded my version of our tandem flight to YouTube, just waiting for them to complete the audio processing. And then once that's done I'll post it on this thread as well.

I think after flying my 1600mm Mustang a few more times, I wont be so nervous, and we can get some more tandem videos, it can only get better from here!
seahawk1984 is offline Find More Posts by seahawk1984
Old Sep 08, 2012, 10:59 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,318 Posts
Looking forward to the vid! Yeah, once we practice a few times I'm sure we can get some sweet video!
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 08, 2012, 11:01 PM
Experienced but not an Expert
United States, WA, Enumclaw
Joined May 2011
394 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8truckin View Post
Not being favoritism, but the FMS stands out more. Specially those prop blades, its like a Dobermans with its big paws (prop blades) next to a greyhound. Both really nice planes.
I have to agree with you, I love my Starmax 1600mm Gunfighter, but Aros has a beautiful plane! We were talking today about how I may have him paint up my Gunfighter.
seahawk1984 is offline Find More Posts by seahawk1984