HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 31, 2012, 12:31 AM
Name brands compare me...Why?
United States, NJ
Joined Feb 2012
368 Posts
Big Jump?

I really want this plane but don't like digging holes. My current flying experience is with a PZ T-28(50-60 flights) and PZ P-47(28 flights). Is this plane too big a jump for a 1st year pilot?
BRAND X is offline Find More Posts by BRAND X
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 31, 2012, 12:50 AM
Should've, Would've, Could've
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,542 Posts
Personally if I flew this place when I had 1 yr exp. I'd be picking up pieces. I wouldn't get it if I had 2 yrs experience. It has different flying and especially landing characteristic than a parkflyer. However everyone learns differently, so...im sure there are some who have flown it with less exp. If you really really want it try the smaller 1450mm version by FMS. They just released a v7 and its nice. I had the v5 before I had this and it helped me.
v8truckin is offline Find More Posts by v8truckin
Old Aug 31, 2012, 01:24 AM
San Diego
Joined Oct 2006
570 Posts
These FMS Warbirds are among the easier to fly warbirds because they have a relatively light wing loading but, as v8 said, you might want to get the 1400mm version first because it is quite a bit cheaper. I had version 6 and loved it once I glued the wing and tail on. I dumb thumbed it into the ground and really miss it. These birds have a lot of torque on take off and require power on landings. But, they fly really well for foamies!

Aaron
Aaron Wallace is offline Find More Posts by Aaron Wallace
Old Aug 31, 2012, 02:28 AM
Joined Apr 2008
258 Posts
I just received my landing gear struts from RC-Castle and can confirm they are the newest v2 versions with the metal oleo housing. They look really nice and sturdy and the oleo operates much smoother over the v1's. Although I asked Raymond (RC-Castle) to send me the newest v2 version I assume from now on they are all v2 versions.

Time to do some upgrading tonight as I also received the v2 electric retracts.

A little plug for RC-Castle/Raymond: in the box I received my order in was a big Lipo charging bag labeled "gift"! Free! Thank you, Raymond!
Lenop is offline Find More Posts by Lenop
Old Aug 31, 2012, 02:36 AM
Joined Apr 2008
258 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAND X View Post
I really want this plane but don't like digging holes. My current flying experience is with a PZ T-28(50-60 flights) and PZ P-47(28 flights). Is this plane too big a jump for a 1st year pilot?
Do you take off from a runway with the P-47? If so you already have some experience with the prop induced torque on take off. In that case you should be able to fly the 1700mm P-51D.

However, I also had a 1400mm P-51 (v2) first that I could practice on and that really pays back now, as the torque on the 1700mm is rather strong.

The 1700mm is a big and expensive airplane and during the maiden last week I was shaking like a leaf! I felt comfortable enough however to fly due to the experience with the 1400mm version.

So my advice would be to get the 1400mm version first to practice on take-off's and landings even though the 1700mm version really flies better and more stable in windy conditions. Heck, it's the best, smoothest and powerful looking plane I have ever flew, love it!
Lenop is offline Find More Posts by Lenop
Old Aug 31, 2012, 04:11 AM
Most people are stupid!
Australia, QLD, Gold Coast
Joined Oct 2011
3,705 Posts
@ V8

I did the air scoop mod today and the results were great. The ESC didn't even get warm.
dambit is offline Find More Posts by dambit
Old Aug 31, 2012, 06:34 AM
San Diego
Joined Oct 2006
570 Posts
OK... Just got the prop/spinner bolted on and instead of the usual down and right thrust it appears to have down and left!? Any ideas?

Aaron
Old Aug 31, 2012, 06:59 AM
Most people are stupid!
Australia, QLD, Gold Coast
Joined Oct 2011
3,705 Posts
Not sure as my plane has virtually no side thrust.
dambit is offline Find More Posts by dambit
Old Aug 31, 2012, 10:47 AM
Fly & Have Fun..Enjoy the Ride
Joined Mar 2009
5,655 Posts
Mine is the same way...no counter thrust that I can see either
brandonmoon is offline Find More Posts by brandonmoon
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Relocated back to Arizona
Old Aug 31, 2012, 11:01 AM
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,542 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dambit View Post
@ V8

I did the air scoop mod today and the results were great. The ESC didn't even get warm.
Great! It actually looks to be stock.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 02:37 PM
Grounded in NC
Joined Aug 2012
52 Posts
A little confused!

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8truckin View Post
I don't think she knows what she's is talking about referring to v2, v1 to them could be v2 to us. I received mine from BH and it is v2 Frankie. If your really that unsure order the Redtail and it most definitely be a more recent than Frankie stock.
I just got my Ferocious Franky. How did you know yours is V2. I dont see any documentation that says V2 with mine.
Also, the back of the spinner has a wider gap, between it and the cowl, than at the bottom of the spinner. Is this normal or should I be worried?
wmartin817 is offline Find More Posts by wmartin817
Old Aug 31, 2012, 03:54 PM
Super-duper Airplane flooper
USA, OH, Toronto
Joined Oct 2009
54 Posts
I'd sure like to be flying mine,but the motor took a dirt nap and Banana is taking their good sweet time getting me a replacement.
TFOA is offline Find More Posts by TFOA
Old Aug 31, 2012, 04:22 PM
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,542 Posts
Wmartin,

Check to make sure your motor mount screws are tight. v2 isn't indicted by the box or manual, its indicated by parts. Use the search thread up top and type in v2 and its been talked about many times in posts.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 04:23 PM
San Diego
Joined Oct 2006
570 Posts
As for the thrust line, I removed the prop and spinner and examined the motor shaft alignment with the fuselage. It appears that there is a small and appropriate amount of negative (down thrust) built in but not much if any right thrust. The left appearance seems to be just a misalignment of the cowl / nose of the plane. It should be OK but, down and right would be ideal. Easy enough to correct with washers on the motor mount but, I will fly it as is first.
Another concern that I have is the wing joint. The two haves fit together in a way that leaves a considerable gap with the fuselage. I recall a post early on where someone showed how they sanded it to correct this. There is a bowing in the middle which I will try to sand out that should take care of it. Anyone else encounter this?

Aaron

I think that the cowl / spinner alignment is not really an issue other than in appearance. Which bugs me anyway!
Old Aug 31, 2012, 06:12 PM
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,542 Posts
Just received my pkg. from Rc-castle and they are not the new updated v2 "All Aluminum" oleo struts, but rather the old v1.5. The last order I placed were the new v2 struts. Now this will add more confusion as is the whole v1 vs v2 planes being shipped. So we'll have to wait to see what BM receives and if they are the new v2 struts then I guess you have to ask specifically for em.
Last edited by v8truckin; Aug 31, 2012 at 06:33 PM.