HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 29, 2012, 10:45 PM
San Diego
Joined Oct 2006
570 Posts
Thanks for the tips guys. I asked Raymond to add the new struts to my order. We will see what I get!

Aaron

I ordered a set of prop blades and the PZ-V2 retracts too.
Aaron Wallace is offline Find More Posts by Aaron Wallace
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 29, 2012, 10:52 PM
San Diego
Joined Oct 2006
570 Posts
I am planning to use the same Lipos that I use for my F-4. 6S 5000mAh 65C. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Aaron
Old Aug 29, 2012, 11:50 PM
Most people are stupid!
Australia, QLD, Gold Coast
Joined Oct 2011
3,926 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8truckin View Post
Dambit,

He is referring to the new struts that are all aluminum housing/cover from the scissor mech. up. The old v1 & v1.5 have a plastic cover over all the aluminum.

Aaron,

My 2nd set of v2 oleo struts should be here this wk. to confirm this is what RC-castle is shipping w/o asking for v2 specifically. BM asked for em specifically and his should arrive shortly also. They are not listed under a different item.
I super confused now

Are you talking about the retract unit or the gear legs? I thought he was talking about the gear legs.
dambit is offline Find More Posts by dambit
Old Aug 30, 2012, 12:33 AM
Should've, Would've, Could've
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,701 Posts
Yes I'm talking about the gear legs/ oleo struts. I posted a vid & pics last wk or wk before showing the difference.
v8truckin is online now Find More Posts by v8truckin
Last edited by v8truckin; Aug 30, 2012 at 12:43 AM.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 12:43 AM
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,701 Posts
Here ya go dambit.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=5016

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=5039
Old Aug 30, 2012, 12:47 AM
Most people are stupid!
Joined Oct 2011
3,926 Posts
very nice

I'm about to go and test your prop mod in a few minutes. Wish me luck.. lol
Old Aug 30, 2012, 12:56 AM
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,701 Posts
Good luck! Your gonna love it! Hold on to your Socks. Let us know how it goes n what u think...
Old Aug 30, 2012, 03:54 AM
Most people are stupid!
Joined Oct 2011
3,926 Posts
Well I for one don't know why the props aren't set at this pitch right out of the box. The difference in performance is amazing.

I only flew for 4 min for testing and everything was fine. The cells were at 3.85V after the flight. I flew using the stock 85amp ESC, it was a tad warm but that's due to not much airflow in the stock position jammed under the battery. I might do an air vent mod for next time.

Overall, I recommend this mod to everyone. Might see if I can jam a bigger battery in there though.

Cheers,

Steve
Old Aug 30, 2012, 05:07 AM
Joined Apr 2008
260 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Wallace View Post
Lenop,

I like the idea of programming the Tx to get the door sequencing correct. I am using a JR11X. And details on the programming that you used? Did you have to change the wing multi connectors etc?

Thanks,

Aaron
Aaron, when using the standard wing connectors I removed the gear door servo leads from them so that each doors has it's own channel directly on the RX.
Since then I switched to the FMS P-38 wing connectors that have more connectors. Each gear door still has it's own channel but are connected through the wing connectors. So only 2 plugs in stead of 4.

I removed the standard FMS sequencer. All 3 retracts on 1 channel. I use ERX9 firmware on my FlySky radio so I do not know how your JR11X would have to be programmed. I can post the logic if you want to?

I also have programmed a special ground mode that simulates a hydraulic power off situation: flaps and gear down.
Lenop is offline Find More Posts by Lenop
Old Aug 30, 2012, 08:59 AM
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,701 Posts
Dambit,

Glad you loved the prop mod! Its a great cheap alternative for added power/speed if u don't wanna upgrade motor, not good with electronics, soldering, or short on cash.

I did a couple few in-flight test with my Telemetry unit and it pulled 55a, 76a, & 68a WOT all freshly charged batteries and taken at beginning of flights 1st pass. So your fine. Just do the cooling vent mod and your esc will cool faster fo sure.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 12:05 PM
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,701 Posts
Oleo struts finally made it to my local post office and out for delivery, but won't be home to sign for em. So will post info on the version they are tmrw when I get home from work.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 01:25 PM
San Diego
Joined Oct 2006
570 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenop View Post
Aaron, when using the standard wing connectors I removed the gear door servo leads from them so that each doors has it's own channel directly on the RX.
Since then I switched to the FMS P-38 wing connectors that have more connectors. Each gear door still has it's own channel but are connected through the wing connectors. So only 2 plugs in stead of 4.

I removed the standard FMS sequencer. All 3 retracts on 1 channel. I use ERX9 firmware on my FlySky radio so I do not know how your JR11X would have to be programmed. I can post the logic if you want to?

I also have programmed a special ground mode that simulates a hydraulic power off situation: flaps and gear down.

Lenop,

That seems like a great solution. I will have to get a set of P-38 wing connectors. With your ground mode hydraulic program you are all set for a scale contest!

Aaron
Old Aug 30, 2012, 01:27 PM
San Diego
Joined Oct 2006
570 Posts
Quote:
Dambit,

Glad you loved the prop mod! Its a great cheap alternative for added power/speed if u don't wanna upgrade motor, not good with electronics, soldering, or short on cash.

I did a couple few in-flight test with my Telemetry unit and it pulled 55a, 76a, & 68a WOT all freshly charged batteries and taken at beginning of flights 1st pass. So your fine. Just do the cooling vent mod and your esc will cool faster fo sure.
V8truckin,

Could you fill me in on the cooling vent mod?

Thanks,

Aaron
Old Aug 30, 2012, 01:50 PM
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,701 Posts
Here's a pic of the mod.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...mentid=4945574 - notice top right the aluminum plate with holes cut into. It was added. Like below shows the portion cut out and with the plate on.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=2702
Old Aug 30, 2012, 02:28 PM
Grounded in NC
Joined Aug 2012
52 Posts
FMS 1700mm P-51d Prop Mod

Quote:
I use 25C-40C batteries and they do not get hot at all when flying WOT 75% of the time. The same gens ace 4000mah 25c I use on my CS12 1500kv on my Fa18e and Euro have puffed and get hot even though the motor is pulling 77-82a. If I was you I would give it a try it cheap and you may be happy with it rather than buying a new motor, as most that have tried it found the increased speed satisfying.
Just got my Ferocious Frankie. Can anyone tell me what posting number has the scoop to make this mod happen.
thanks
wmartin817 is offline Find More Posts by wmartin817