SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 24, 2012, 12:53 AM
Vermilion, OH
Joined Aug 2010
887 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aros View Post
To be fair, that flight video definitely sounds better than that bench test video. All the points are fair...It's good to have options!

To change the topic...

My tailwheel is behaving badly. The retract still works/cycles but the trunnion is not locking in place in the down position and you can joggle the tailwheel as it has tons of slop. Anyone else with this issue? So I couldn't fly tonight as even slight pressure on the tailwheel and it would fold into the up position, regardless of the retract's cycling position.
Oh boy....I would just swap it out.
godofthunder77 is offline Find More Posts by godofthunder77
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 24, 2012, 01:02 AM
Should've, Would've, Could've
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,851 Posts
Aros,

My tailwheel also has a good amount of play, prolly round 15* of wiggle to each side. Its one of the reasons she has slow reaction on turns and probably doesn't track as straight. I tighten the strut screw but it keeps loosening. So imma try a fix tmrw night (not sure what yet).
v8truckin is online now Find More Posts by v8truckin
Old Aug 24, 2012, 01:34 AM
"Auntie Samantha"
USA, MO, Clever
Joined Dec 2009
4,742 Posts
In all fairness, that comparison between those 2 vids. wasn't exactly on equal planes (pun)!

The recording of the Shangri La w/MRRC was shot in an enclosed environment! If a garage, then a steel overhead door could have resonated that tinny sound! There was no evidence of any acoustic dampening that I could see on the walls, so IMO that was a poor example.

As far as a comparison between the MRRC on the FW-190/BMW801 (which has been reported as the only 1 known recording of that engine), and the Benedini/P-51 Merlin which has numerous sound bytes, that too is not a fair comparison IMO.

I'm by no means am endorsing either or, but I for one would like to see a fair comparison between the 2 sound systems in identical planes (preferring the Merlin) in an identical environment before I would ever consider buying either one.

Gary
Sandancer is online now Find More Posts by Sandancer
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 24, 2012, 01:45 AM
Should've, Would've, Could've
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,851 Posts
Gary,

Thanks for the link to the harbor freight hex set. They arrived today and allowed me to take out the set screw that was stuck holding the wire into the oleo strut. I tapped it out larger and used a 6/32 socket cap set screw, way more secure and snug. Thanks!
v8truckin is online now Find More Posts by v8truckin
Old Aug 24, 2012, 02:03 AM
"Auntie Samantha"
USA, MO, Clever
Joined Dec 2009
4,742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8truckin View Post
Gary,

Thanks for the link to the harbor freight hex set. They arrived today and allowed me to take out the set screw that was stuck holding the wire into the oleo strut. I tapped it out larger and used a 6/32 socket cap set screw, way more secure and snug. Thanks!
You're more then welcome Nick! They're handy to have around.

I don't think I posted this on this thread, but on a related note: HF also has an extremely handy 33 Piece Precision Screwdriver Set! I have 3 sets, one in both work shops, and a set in my field box. I find myself using these on a daily basis. They have bits to handle every job related to RC and much more. The swivel extension comes in handy when it comes time to get to those motor mount screws!

Gary
Sandancer is online now Find More Posts by Sandancer
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 24, 2012, 03:50 AM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Dec 2009
1,329 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aros View Post
Most? MOST?? Do tell!! LOL!

Thanks man, I'm mostly just kidding, LOL...
Well I can't stop looking at the black/yellow lines sitting too high on the nose

But you sure got the rest of the lines and all the colors just right which is not easy at all on this scheme.
tmsn is online now Find More Posts by tmsn
Old Aug 24, 2012, 05:04 AM
Most people are stupid!
Australia, QLD, Gold Coast
Joined Oct 2011
4,067 Posts
My tail wheel has been doing the same thing. Anything other than a greaser landing and it folds up or pops out of the steering guide and causes the plane to ground loop. I'm waiting for new props and replacement tail retract in the mail. I think it's because it's a cheap plastic trunnion and not metal.
dambit is offline Find More Posts by dambit
Old Aug 24, 2012, 05:48 AM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
11,792 Posts
A lot of posts today......

The MrRCsound - like that video he posted shows somewhat - sounds a lot better in person, especially compared to that really bad indoor first video!! LOL
Mine in an 1200mm Spitfire is 'very good'. It does everything you need, and is good quality sound really. Andrew has already outlined his aims.... and it is certainly a very good result for its price point.

If you used one, but with a much larger Amp and speakers - such as the 2x40W, and 100m R10S of the Benedini - it would be a fairer comparison, and the MRRCS would sound tons better than any of those videos.
Unfortunately by then you have a total price of a Benedini system too, so there is no use comparing.... the Benedini wins.

Once you have a Benedini, you can swap that too.... not quite as 'cheaply' as the MRRCS, so that is where things begin to get trickier.

My view is that
1) The Bendini is optimal in any larger plane. eg 1600mm Starmax upwards. So the definite choice. (dollar totals etc too).
2) MRRCS for 1200mm and down.
3) If you do need a Benedini as in point 1, then you can cover the smaller planes with it, by swapping, also.
4) Swapping is not hard.... but I myself like to take a few planes all ready to go - their own sound. So that means you are back to doing point 1 AND 2, for those various plane sizes.
The smaller aircraft will be more dollar-wise viable with MRRCS in those.

You have seen/heard the sound.... it is AWESOME (both systems)... it is a MUST have.
Just another model aircraft item (or a number of them we need) to send us all broke!! HEHE
PeterVRC is offline Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 24, 2012, 12:28 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,407 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dambit View Post
My tail wheel has been doing the same thing. Anything other than a greaser landing and it folds up or pops out of the steering guide and causes the plane to ground loop. I'm waiting for new props and replacement tail retract in the mail. I think it's because it's a cheap plastic trunnion and not metal.
Sounds like FMS has a new retract part to upgrade.
Aros is offline Find More Posts by Aros
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 24, 2012, 04:33 PM
CloggieCopter™
United Kingdom, East Grinstead
Joined Feb 2010
277 Posts
Another sound option....

http://www.modelsoundsinc.com/catalog_sound_systems.htm
CloggieUK is offline Find More Posts by CloggieUK
Old Aug 24, 2012, 04:35 PM
Vermilion, OH
Joined Aug 2010
887 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CloggieUK View Post
Wow that one is even more money but I bet it is just like benedini. Also depends on the speakers you put in as well. Good to know though
Old Aug 24, 2012, 04:41 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,407 Posts
How do you hear the sounds?
Aros is offline Find More Posts by Aros
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 24, 2012, 04:45 PM
Vermilion, OH
Joined Aug 2010
887 Posts
I like their speaker selection to
Old Aug 24, 2012, 05:22 PM
CloggieCopter™
United Kingdom, East Grinstead
Joined Feb 2010
277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder77 View Post
Wow that one is even more money but I bet it is just like benedini. Also depends on the speakers you put in as well. Good to know though
But you do not need an external amplifier so there is no additional cost apart from the speakers. 40W @ 26V output!!
CloggieUK is offline Find More Posts by CloggieUK
Old Aug 24, 2012, 05:27 PM
Vermilion, OH
Joined Aug 2010
887 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CloggieUK View Post
But you do not need an external amplifier so there is no additional cost apart from the speakers. 40W @ 26V output!!
Cool