Aros is offline Find More Posts by Aros
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 22, 2012, 07:46 PM
No Guts, No Glory!
USA, WA, South Hill
Joined Sep 2008
2,835 Posts
I watched a Banana Hobby 1700mm P-51 Red Tails version vid (tandem flight) the other day and was surprised to see an operational cooling vent exit on the bottom/backside that worked in conjunction with the flaps ... I guess the functionality has been there the whole time and it just slipped passed me... cool stuff, they pretty much thought of everything on this one

(he mentions it at about 4:16 in the vid)

FMS P-51 Red Tail Flight Review with Special Tandem Flight (12 min 14 sec)
HuffDaddy is offline Find More Posts by HuffDaddy
Old Aug 22, 2012, 10:27 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,242 Posts
Just got back from another beautiful Sunset Sortie. My favorite kind of flights. This girl flies herself. Unbelievable how wonderful the flight characteristics are. The landing was fantastic, 2-pointer, but because I came in with a little juice, the rollout was extended and it hit the edge of our club's field that has a bump...It bounced up about 3 or 4 inches and plopped back down fairly hard and nosed-over. Our field needs to be twice as long as it is for Pete's sake.

I sure am putting those PZ-V2s through a lot. And so far, they have been 100% up to the task. This is fantastic news for all of us as we all know how the retracts with these warbirds have been the Achilles' Heel.

Here's a couple snap shots from tonight, showing off her newly-painted exhaust stacks. Turned out pretty good!
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 22, 2012, 11:36 PM
No Guts, No Glory!
USA, WA, South Hill
Joined Sep 2008
2,835 Posts
sheesh, that is one awesome looking P-51 my friend... and yes sirree, tonight was perfect flying conditions. Took a couple of my birds out for a spin myself... good times

I'm looking forward to seeing that Bald Eagle and your monster F4U next week if we can work it out... I should be working right down the street from ya a few days next week

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aros View Post
Just got back from another beautiful Sunset Sortie. My favorite kind of flights. This girl flies herself. Unbelievable how wonderful the flight characteristics are. The landing was fantastic, 2-pointer, but because I came in with a little juice, the rollout was extended and it hit the edge of our club's field that has a bump...It bounced up about 3 or 4 inches and plopped back down fairly hard and nosed-over. Our field needs to be twice as long as it is for Pete's sake.

I sure am putting those PZ-V2s through a lot. And so far, they have been 100% up to the task. This is fantastic news for all of us as we all know how the retracts with these warbirds have been the Achilles' Heel.

Here's a couple snap shots from tonight, showing off her newly-painted exhaust stacks. Turned out pretty good!
HuffDaddy is offline Find More Posts by HuffDaddy
Old Aug 22, 2012, 11:37 PM
La Habra, California
Joined May 2004
575 Posts
Aros - Excellent results. Did you paint it with a brush free hand or did you use an airbrush. For the stacks - what proportion of flat black and copper did you use and what type of paint.
paracanary is offline Find More Posts by paracanary
Old Aug 22, 2012, 11:41 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
9,371 Posts
That's a lovely Mustang!!
No sound system? Save up!! You will be ASTOUNDED.... it turns any warbird into a much much more realistic experience!!
PeterVRC is online now Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: ESC/Battery Anti-Spark lead
Old Aug 23, 2012, 12:01 AM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,242 Posts
Thanks guys for the compliments!

@ HuffDaddy - Looking forward to it! Hopefully we can make it work. Unfortunately my Corsair is grounded until I get a new prop hub...

@ paracanary - I painted the exhaust stacks with a brush free hand. I used Testor's Copper and Testor's Flat Black. I sprayed copper in a bowl first then kept adding the flat black until it was the right darkness...It turned out better than I expected.

@ PeterVRC - I totally want to get one and I think I will! Is Benedini the best one out there?
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 23, 2012, 12:39 AM
Field of Dreams Flyer
San Pedro,Ca
Joined Sep 2004
7,890 Posts
Quote:
Thanks guys for the compliments!

@ HuffDaddy - Looking forward to it! Hopefully we can make it work. Unfortunately my Corsair is grounded until I get a new prop hub...

@ paracanary - I painted the exhaust stacks with a brush free hand. I used Testor's Copper and Testor's Flat Black. I sprayed copper in a bowl first then kept adding the flat black until it was the right darkness...It turned out better than I expected.

@ PeterVRC - I totally want to get one and I think I will! Is Benedini the best one out there?
Here you go
2012 Atlantic City Airshow - Jim Beasley Jr. & P-51D Mustang (7 min 26 sec)
Mikemynameis is offline Find More Posts by Mikemynameis
Old Aug 23, 2012, 12:40 AM
Joined Nov 2006
9,371 Posts
I have the Benedini and the MrRCSound.....
I guess I really have to say the Benedini is the Mercedes of them.

The MrRCsound... which I only have the smaller "Pro" version, is still a very good unit anyway. But for a 1700mm plane you really need loud sound, to suit it... eg 2 x 100mm speakers, and an amp capable of driving those. The sound unit itself is the same across all models.
I haven't looked at what Andrew (MrRCsound) has in those 'louder' terms, so you would have to check if by that size and cost, that the Benedini might be equal cost, and in that case would be the winning choice, as it has a LOT more features.

The MRrcsound Ultra is his "louder" version. $209

It cost me $160 for the Pro (shipped), taking 3 weeks to get here (from the US).
$400 for the Benidini, taking 3 weeks also (it is from Germany), but that includes 2x40W amp, 3x 4" speakers, 4x 1.5" speakers, so a fairer comparison in $ would be more like $250
So as suggested, the Benedini is probably the winner here.

MrRCsound in my Spitfire. A pretty poor video really, but almost passable. Don't take it as the be all and end all of his sound system, there are many other YouTube examples of it in flight etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=sGWyazSYqKE
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by PeterVRC; Aug 23, 2012 at 12:52 AM.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 12:53 AM
Joined Nov 2006
9,371 Posts
FMS P-51 Mustang 1700mm Benedini SoundSystem (1 min 33 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: ESC/Battery Anti-Spark lead
Old Aug 23, 2012, 01:26 AM
Fly & Have Fun..Enjoy the Ride
Joined Mar 2009
5,654 Posts
Quote:

Now that's what I'm talking about....Looks great!!!!
brandonmoon is offline Find More Posts by brandonmoon
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 23, 2012, 01:31 AM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,242 Posts
How difficult is it to install the Benedini system? Are the instructions easy to follow? It sure sounds incredible, I would love to have that.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 23, 2012, 01:31 AM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,242 Posts
Thanks Brandon! Cool vid Twiz!
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 23, 2012, 01:37 AM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,242 Posts
Would the top one at this page work?

http://www.aerosoundrc.com/products.htm
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 23, 2012, 01:44 AM
Fly & Have Fun..Enjoy the Ride
Joined Mar 2009
5,654 Posts
Quote:
Would the top one at this page work?

http://www.aerosoundrc.com/products.htm
Yes, that is the one I'm considering too, That will be my conversion for next summer or this winter.
brandonmoon is offline Find More Posts by brandonmoon
RCG Plus Member