HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 12, 2012, 03:10 PM
Canada, BC, Coquitlam
Joined Dec 2009
442 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmk-2 View Post
You should consider making these up for sale!!!
I already have
Just in the process of figurin out a price. Anyone who wants a set of these can contact me privately over PM.
Minimog is offline Find More Posts by Minimog
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 12, 2012, 04:38 PM
"Auntie Samantha"
USA, MO, Clever
Joined Dec 2009
4,737 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minimog View Post
They are actually a 2X5 and a 1X5 put together. I put a tiny drop of ca to keep then together and then put the shrink tubing over it.
Ahh OK, I see what you did there. You must have gotten your connectors from Hansen? Multiplex connectors do make it a lot easier when it comes time to adding or removing the wings! I assume you're wings are 2 piece, hence the 2 harnesses? I like to make my wings 1-piece if at all possible so I generally have only 1 harness.

What I've been using so far are these 14 Pin Headers. They come in a 4 Pin up to 50 Pin Double Row Header configuration. I simply tie all my leads into one terminal eg: both Aileron + leads, - leads & switch leads to one designated terminal. That way a 14 Pin Double Row Header is all I need. Some guys like to run their servo signal leads to independent terminals and tie their + & - l leads all together into 1 terminal each. I've don't like that idea simply because it can load a single terminal pin with as many as 6 servo leads each, and if something goes wrong it takes everything out.

Multiplex connectors does take a bit more time and effort to put together, but once done, it makes putting the plane together at the field much, much quicker. Not to mention the strain on your Rx terminals every time you have to plug & unplug those leads.

Gary
Sandancer is online now Find More Posts by Sandancer
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 12, 2012, 06:07 PM
Germany
Joined Nov 2010
58 Posts
Im just done soldering D-Sub connectors for my wing connection. They come in 9, 15, 25 .... pin configuration used as computer connections. They already have soldering cups, which makes the soldering a bit easier. Without the actual connector those add not much weight.

I have to use two wing halves, because my car is way too small.......
Minicocker is offline Find More Posts by Minicocker
Old Jul 12, 2012, 09:36 PM
Doctorfoamy on Youtube
United States, TX, Denton
Joined Sep 2011
176 Posts
Prop mod flight times.

Guys -

After doing the plastic tie prop mod it appears that I am losing significant flight time on my 1700mm. I kept my 6s 4000mah 30c battery that used to give me a solid 5 mins plus time in reserve with a post flight level of 3.8 per cell. Now the same battery is dropping off at around 4 mins. On both of my last 2 flights I recognized what was happening and came in for a quick landing...Both times with a pretty hot battery.

What impact in flight times has the mod had on your flight times?
jlkitz is offline Find More Posts by jlkitz
Old Jul 12, 2012, 09:46 PM
Should've, Would've, Could've
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,848 Posts
4000mah battery I am getting 6min plus now. My battery doesn't get too hot maybe a lil warmer than normal but not excessive.

Here's a link to my 1st flights with it and battery consumption.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1988
v8truckin is online now Find More Posts by v8truckin
Old Jul 12, 2012, 10:31 PM
Fargo, North Dakota
Joined Feb 2011
48 Posts
I'm only getting 4 minutes on the same battery too (Turnigy 4000 mAh, 25C) with the prop mod (did the prop mod before the maiden). The heat lately probably doesn't help though either. I have some Nano-Tech 5000s so I plan to use them eventually but I haven't had time to cut the battery compartment bigger yet. I'm really liking the P-51. Smooth flier. Anyone else with battery size/flight times/compartment mod and maintain CG recommendations?
NDPilot is offline Find More Posts by NDPilot
Old Jul 12, 2012, 10:40 PM
John V
Joined May 2011
13 Posts
Red Tail Maiden

Got in the first flight on my red tail tonight at dusk with no wind at all. It flew beautifully just like everyone has said it does. Would have done better without my shaking thumbs

I was flying off a fairly rough grass field and the gear seemed to hold up well. I need to see if there is a way to add some throw to the tail wheel because steering left a lot to be desired. It wasn't unruly, just had a very large turning radius.

The only issue I had in flight is that I have miss-rigged something--it took full left trim to maintain level flight--so I need to look things over and do some adjustments.

I leave the gear down for all first flights, so it was a little slow, but looked very scale. I can see where v8's prop mod would make a big difference, but I think I am going to be happy with the way it is.

The only blot on a wonderful dead-calm flying evening was that I nosed it over on landing and broke two prop blades. As most of you probably know it has been terribly dry and hot here in the middle of the US so the ground is hard as concrete and the grass is very tough and patchy. The mains caught in a clump right after touch down while the tail was still up and I snapped the prop before I could get the throttle shut down.

All in all a fantastic airplane and several of the guys at the field were very impressed with the looks, quality, and flight characteristics. We're nitro fliers, so this is the first big electric any of us had seen close up.

Thanks to all to everyone here with all the helpful posts. Keep it up!
- John
jvanantwerp is offline Find More Posts by jvanantwerp
Old Jul 12, 2012, 10:40 PM
Fargo, North Dakota
Joined Feb 2011
48 Posts
Good job V8. I think I'll order some Gens Ace 4000s before performing surgery on Frankie. I'll be happy to get at least 5 minutes.
NDPilot is offline Find More Posts by NDPilot
Old Jul 12, 2012, 10:42 PM
United States, TN, Oneida
Joined Oct 2011
20 Posts
Well I'm using turnigy 5000mah 6s 25c in mine and they fit really snug without doing any cutting. Also just got my power 90 in but I need to make some 15-20mm standoffs to make up the diff between it and the stock motor.
slopoke13 is offline Find More Posts by slopoke13
Old Jul 12, 2012, 10:43 PM
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,848 Posts
Gens ace are great batteries and hold their charge throughout the flight, that may have something to do with it also vs your turnigy.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 10:49 PM
United States, TN, Oneida
Joined Oct 2011
20 Posts
I forgot to mention that I also did the prop pitch mod and was getting flight times 5min and only putting back in around 2700mah. She'll fly fast with just 2 blades+ pitch mod, I know because I broke one and said the hell with it lets try 2 after my nose over. D#%n thick patchy grass!
slopoke13 is offline Find More Posts by slopoke13
Old Jul 12, 2012, 10:56 PM
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,848 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDPilot View Post
Good job V8. I think I'll order some Gens Ace 4000s before performing surgery on Frankie. I'll be happy to get at least 5 minutes.
plus hobbypartz got free shipping on anything over $50 or $100 cant remember.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 01:22 AM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
11,771 Posts
Wing connectors.... just for your interest.....

You don't actually need as many pins in the connector as the servos use.
Only 1 wire per servo lead is unique - the signal. The other two are ground and +V.
So you can common up all the +'s and Grounds.

Then you have a few commoned up servos, like Flaps or retracts.

So in total you might have, say, 1 +ve, 1 Gnd, 1 Ail, 1 Flap, 1 Retract = 5 wires in total needed for a connector.
Not many....

A typical 0.1 in connectors individual pin is good for quite a few Amps, towards 5A or more. So even just one pin for +ve and one for Gnd is enough - but I always use two paired up for each anyway. You just connect all +ve's together and all Gnd's.

I also tend to have separate Ail channels, so the grand total of pins needed is 8.

So an 8 pin connector is fine. I use an 8-way single row header type.
And that makes for a very small and easy to use connector system.
PeterVRC is offline Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 13, 2012, 04:53 PM
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,848 Posts
Can someone please measure the length of the oleo strut from top to center of axle. Thanks may have found a new set of struts that would be perfect, but need the length of the stock 1st.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 06:23 PM
"Auntie Samantha"
USA, MO, Clever
Joined Dec 2009
4,737 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8truckin View Post
Can someone please measure the length of the oleo strut from top to center of axle. Thanks may have found a new set of struts that would be perfect, but need the length of the stock 1st.
From top of strut to axle centerline, not including pin...6" / 152mm

Gary
Sandancer is online now Find More Posts by Sandancer
RCG Plus Member