HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 10, 2012, 02:19 PM
Fly & Have Fun..Enjoy the Ride
Joined Mar 2009
5,655 Posts
Here are some pictures of the difference from the stock retract units and the new ones I recieved today. The bolt pattern is the same between the two different sets...The new ones are longer and a very tiny bit deeper and wider in the lower body section
brandonmoon is offline Find More Posts by brandonmoon
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Relocated back to Arizona
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 10, 2012, 02:22 PM
Should've, Would've, Could've
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,536 Posts
They do look beefier. Are they similar in size to the larger PZ 15091M retracts? A can only imagine your expression and words when u opened up that package.
v8truckin is offline Find More Posts by v8truckin
Old Jul 10, 2012, 03:34 PM
"Auntie Samantha"
USA, MO, Clever
Joined Dec 2009
4,728 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aros View Post
BTW, the Corsair will be ready in one week, everything is fine now, and I think it's time to release it. I know you can't wait to get one, me too. Please wait for my good news soon.[/I]

Okay.......I'm holding you to this!

So it sounds to me that they consider their V3 P-51 to be with those larger and upgraded retracts Brandon has. My bet is we won't see the true, new FMS-made metal retracts until V4.
Oh my, I am suspecting the price for the V4 to be in the range of $500.00 with those new metal E-Tracts?

Gary
Sandancer is online now Find More Posts by Sandancer
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 10, 2012, 03:45 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,308 Posts
We should know very soon as the 1700 Corsair is supposed to have the new FMS metal retracts in them (at least that was my understanding)...
Aros is offline Find More Posts by Aros
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 10, 2012, 05:21 PM
Fly & Have Fun..Enjoy the Ride
Joined Mar 2009
5,655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8truckin View Post
They do look beefier. Are they similar in size to the larger PZ 15091M retracts? A can only imagine your expression and words when u opened up that package.
That is exactly what they are....I just checked. So I dont understand the reason for the long wait for them to develop a retract as was said back then and for us to wait this long for replacements we asked for months ago? seems a little misleading to me IMO.

Correction to what I just said above:...Actually I believe they are these and they look identical....same as the stock ones, but longer and larger as I stated before, but have the same bolt pattern as the stock E-Retracts and the E-flites

http://pz-servos.en.made-in-china.co...PZ-15096-.html
brandonmoon is offline Find More Posts by brandonmoon
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by brandonmoon; Jul 11, 2012 at 01:48 PM. Reason: Correction
Old Jul 10, 2012, 06:19 PM
Joined Apr 2012
19 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoothcruizer3 View Post
that looks so fun, wish I could join you.... your buds look so envy too .... nice landings too
Sorry I didn't get back sooner, I had some dental work . I wish you could be here flying too. We do have alot of fun. Thanks for the complement on my landings.
fly baby is offline Find More Posts by fly baby
Last edited by fly baby; Jul 10, 2012 at 06:29 PM.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 06:26 PM
Joined Apr 2012
19 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmk-2 View Post
Great landing and T/O's. Are you using stock Landing gear? It seems to be taking the grass runway very well.
That is the stock gear that I took the guts out of and put a wood block in. The gear are locked in the down position and are very strong. I did finally give up and purchased the E-flite retracts. Installed the first set in my P47, All I can say is WOW. The 2nd set will be in the P51 asap.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 06:47 PM
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,536 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly baby View Post
That is the stock gear that I took the guts out of and put a wood block in. The gear are locked in the down position and are very strong. I did finally give up and purchased the E-flite retracts. Installed the first set in my P47, All I can say is WOW. The 2nd set will be in the P51 asap.
Really sucks that we had to go that length (eflite) for retracts, but they are awesome and can take a beating. Personally in my opinion worth the $$$ & definitely the cream of the crop for that size retract.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 09:43 PM
Joined Apr 2012
19 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8truckin View Post
Really sucks that we had to go that length (eflite) for retracts, but they are awesome and can take a beating. Personally in my opinion worth the $$$ & definitely the cream of the crop for that size retract.
I agree totally. At first I wasn't going to buy the E-flites, but after all the trouble and headaches trying to make the stock retracts work. I decided it wasn't worth the trouble and ordered the E-flites. After reading some of the recent post here I'm glad I bit the bullet.
When the E-flites came in the first thing I did was to have one open up then I tried with all my might to force it to collapse. It didn't budge.A friend was here when I tried to force it and thought I was crazy, but I didn't want to install it until I knew it would hold up.If anyone is riding the fence about buying the E-flites, my advice is to go ahead and do it you won't be sorry.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 09:47 PM
Joined Jan 2011
345 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly baby View Post
I agree totally. At first I wasn't going to buy the E-flites, but after all the trouble and headaches trying to make the stock retracts work. I decided it wasn't worth the trouble and ordered the E-flites. After reading some of the recent post here I'm glad I bit the bullet.
When the E-flites came in the first thing I did was to have one open up then I tried with all my might to force it to collapse. It didn't budge.A friend was here when I tried to force it and thought I was crazy, but I didn't want to install it until I knew it would hold up.If anyone is riding the fence about buying the E-flites, my advice is to go ahead and do it you won't be sorry.
What size did you put in it?
warbirdfan2 is offline Find More Posts by warbirdfan2
Old Jul 10, 2012, 09:57 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,308 Posts
Okay fellas, here's the latest low down with the retracts. The 1700 Corsair is going to ship with what they call their "V2" retracts which are not their metal, in-house versions but definitely more robust than the problematic "V1"'s from other model's earlier versions (the 1700 P-51 as a primary example).

Here's the latest straight from the horse's mouth...(FMS...And what a nice horse it is!)

"The F4U is with the V2 retract, and our FMS metal retract is only for spare parts, which means if people would like to upgrade their retract, they can choose FMS metal retracts. The reason why we don't use the metal retract in them (right now) is the cost is pretty high and at least 3 times that of the V2, we now quite understand why the metal retracts of E-flite is so expensive."
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 10, 2012, 09:59 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,308 Posts
In other words, there is no way to avoid a substantial price hike on future models/versions with the new retracts...$550 is not out of the question...However, IF they are as good as the E-flites, then I would be willing to pay it...BUT not much more for a foamie, no matter the amenities!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 10, 2012, 10:03 PM
Joined Jan 2011
345 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aros View Post
Okay fellas, here's the latest low down with the retracts. The 1700 Corsair is going to ship with what they call their "V2" retracts which are not their metal, in-house versions but definitely more robust than the problematic "V1"'s from other model's earlier versions (the 1700 P-51 as a primary example).

Here's the latest straight from the horse's mouth...(FMS...And what a nice horse it is!)

"The F4U is with the V2 retract, and our FMS metal retract is only for spare parts, which means if people would like to upgrade their retract, they can choose FMS metal retracts. The reason why we don't use the metal retract in them (right now) is the cost is pretty high and at least 3 times that of the V2, we now quite understand why the metal retracts of E-flite is so expensive."
So , the way it sounds they are not going to put the metal ones in any plane? so you will still have to spend more to upgrade, and if thats the case why wouldn't you go with the proven Eflites????
Old Jul 10, 2012, 10:06 PM
Joined Jan 2011
345 Posts
Sorry, I'm a slow typer and was posting as you posted your second post
Old Jul 10, 2012, 11:00 PM
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,536 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by warbirdfan2 View Post
What size did you put in it?
When I originally did the mod I used 60-120 metal eflite retracts 90*, others used the 85*. Seems that they both work but one or the other needs to be shimed on opposite side depending which is degree retract is used. Now that more ppl have used em it seems 90* is the way to go.