HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 01, 2012, 10:48 PM
San Diego
Joined Oct 2006
570 Posts
Thanks to all posters for such good information!
Aaron
Aaron Wallace is offline Find More Posts by Aaron Wallace
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 02, 2012, 12:49 AM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
10,414 Posts
I guess the planes in the video weren't FMS's..... lol (Their retracts worked)
PeterVRC is offline Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 02, 2012, 01:26 AM
Fly & Have Fun..Enjoy the Ride
Joined Mar 2009
5,655 Posts
For those interested...I was sent this for kit only. I have no ide about the cost of shipping? Just thought I would share the link

http://www.ecshop360.com/p51-mustang...mm-p-3386.html

http://www.ecshop360.com/p47-epo-1700mm-p-1621.html
brandonmoon is offline Find More Posts by brandonmoon
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Relocated back to Arizona
Old Jul 02, 2012, 05:07 PM
Sir-Crash-a-Lot
United States, IL, Edwardsville
Joined Jun 2011
330 Posts
So 4,429 posts later, the jests of this thread is that if you want to get a big mustang from these guys you need to redo the electronics, servos, gearbox, and retracts? The airframe is OK but may need a different paint scheme. So if I don't have a problem replacing the parts or the costs on a new plane then this is a good plane to get?

The reason I ask is because I want a big plane, but there are several choices. I want foam, but dependability/durability and it sounds like E-Flite parts and upgraded electronics would do just that.
Mr.Firemouth is offline Find More Posts by Mr.Firemouth
Old Jul 02, 2012, 05:11 PM
Canada, BC, Coquitlam
Joined Dec 2009
442 Posts
Not really. Only thing that's not good are the retracts and you have to either remove the mulitplex cable that's on the wings or make your own, the one that is supplied with the plane has no strain relief and the wire is of poor quality breaking very easily.
Minimog is offline Find More Posts by Minimog
Old Jul 02, 2012, 05:53 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
6,992 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Firemouth View Post
So 4,429 posts later, the jests of this thread is that if you want to get a big mustang from these guys you need to redo the electronics, servos, gearbox, and retracts? The airframe is OK but may need a different paint scheme. So if I don't have a problem replacing the parts or the costs on a new plane then this is a good plane to get?

The reason I ask is because I want a big plane, but there are several choices. I want foam, but dependability/durability and it sounds like E-Flite parts and upgraded electronics would do just that.
Gearbox... what "gearbox"? Seems you're make as complete a list of stuff to replace as you can, even including something that the plane doesn't have. I think Minimog's summary is pretty good.
erkq is offline Find More Posts by erkq
Old Jul 02, 2012, 07:48 PM
Sir-Crash-a-Lot
Joined Jun 2011
330 Posts
The gearbox was from another Banana Hobby P51-smaller version. My point is that these are seeming to be good planes, but the electronics are sketchy. It seems that everyone isn't really modding the planes as much as they are increasing the quality of the planes with other peoples parts.

I like buying from Tower and Horizon for parts availability and customer service. I bought a piper cub from HK that needs a lot of work to fly right. The tail assembly is weak, the rudder is a mess, and the engine is underpowered. It will need a slightly larger motor, re-hinge the rudder, and replace the tail wheel and mount with something better. It also weighs a ton compared to a Horizon micro. This isn't bad, but it takes more thought, time, and money. I just want to know what I am getting into with the bigger plane. I will search minimog's posts....
Old Jul 02, 2012, 07:53 PM
Sir-Crash-a-Lot
Joined Jun 2011
330 Posts
I just ordered this.....
http://www.bananahobby.com/2263.html

to get use to the P51 characteristics. I figure I can learn things on the small 30" scale and then go bigger!
Old Jul 02, 2012, 07:54 PM
"Auntie Samantha"
USA, MO, Clever
Joined Dec 2009
4,728 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Firemouth View Post
The gearbox was from another Banana Hobby P51-smaller version. My point is that these are seeming to be good planes, but the electronics are sketchy. It seems that everyone isn't really modding the planes as much as they are increasing the quality of the planes with other peoples parts.

I like buying from Tower and Horizon for parts availability and customer service. I bought a piper cub from HK that needs a lot of work to fly right. The tail assembly is weak, the rudder is a mess, and the engine is underpowered. It will need a slightly larger motor, re-hinge the rudder, and replace the tail wheel and mount with something better. It also weighs a ton compared to a Horizon micro. This isn't bad, but it takes more thought, time, and money. I just want to know what I am getting into with the bigger plane. I will search minimog's posts....
Do as I'm doing..........wait for the airframe kit to become available!

Gary
Sandancer is offline Find More Posts by Sandancer
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 02, 2012, 07:59 PM
Most people are stupid!
Australia, QLD, Gold Coast
Joined Oct 2011
3,688 Posts
@mr.firemouth (and others on the fence)

If people only believe what is written in the forum, then based on that logic not a single one of these planes that was ever sold is working. Just as many people (probably more because they have no need to say anything) have the plane and it works fine totally stock. Just something to think about.

Cheers,

Steve
dambit is online now Find More Posts by dambit
Old Jul 02, 2012, 09:32 PM
United States, TX, Argyle
Joined Feb 2012
112 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Letsmakeadeal View Post
Hey Alex - After a lot of experimentation what worked best for me was Rust-Oleum Professional grey primer. I used Testors Chrome, Blue, and Yellow enamel. One word of caution - The Testors takes a long time to dry so you have to have patience. The result is worth the wait. Also used Rustoleum Gloss White and Black for the Invasion Stripes..All in all I am very happy and the Chrome looks well like Chrome. I would be afraid of using lacquer on the EPO. If you decide to try it, be sure and test inside the fuselage on a small area to make sure the paint does not attack the foam or the original paint. If it does you will have a mess on your hands....I still have not done all the final touch up and finishing touches on the American Beauty as I got diverted on the LX Corsair..All the Best...David
Your plane looks awesome David.
Chad
flightwing1 is offline Find More Posts by flightwing1
Old Jul 02, 2012, 09:34 PM
United States, TX, Dallas
Joined Dec 2008
291 Posts
Banana Hobby Is Fired - The Camel's Back is Broken

Just got my last message thanking me for my patience and understanding from Banana Hobby. I believed the horror stories would never happen to me. It is their Customer Support's utter disdaine towards their customer and lack of communication that brought me to this place. I will never spend another penny with this outfit. Here is the response I just sent them after being ignored yet again.

This email is to notify you that your company is now FIRED. There is no patience left. I am done! I know you don’t care. You are probably happy to get rid of customers with expectations anyway. Why - You sell junk and you don't stand behind it. Your Customer Service department is anything but a Service department. Communication and status does not exist. Promises are as shallow and lame as the hot air they float on. I have one $450.00 plane that has been totally rebuilt with new functioning parts from other suppliers and after more than two months you are still screwing around in getting me the correct $1.00 motor for a defective Wing Folding servo. Next issue: Your web service says 48 hour response. I have sent numerous messages about latent defect retract gear in the $350.00 FMS 1700mm P-51 and you have never even had the decency to even respond once. If there was any way I could scream and yell at someone I would do so but it would fall on deaf ears. I am done with your company and everything you represent. It will be my goal and crusade to try to inform others of your miserable post sale support. It is a terrible shame since you are so well aware of the building disdain so many of your customers feel towards your company. I am one of many.

Adios
Letsmakeadeal is offline Find More Posts by Letsmakeadeal
Last edited by Letsmakeadeal; Jul 02, 2012 at 10:06 PM.
Old Jul 02, 2012, 09:37 PM
Joined Dec 2008
291 Posts
Hey Chad

Quote:
Originally Posted by flightwing1 View Post
Your plane looks awesome David.
Chad
Thanks Chad - Haven't seen you on the boards in a while. Any progress with the Vario Prop or Hacker? Have you guys been doing any flying lately? I still have some work to do on the P-51 but it is close...Would still love to see your plane fly one of these days..
Last edited by Letsmakeadeal; Jul 02, 2012 at 09:46 PM.
Old Jul 02, 2012, 09:54 PM
Canada, BC, Coquitlam
Joined Dec 2009
442 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Letsmakeadeal View Post
Just got my last message thanking me for my patience and understanding from Banana Hobby. I believed the horror stories would never happen to me. It is their Customer Support's utter disdaine towards their customer and lack of communication that brought me to this place. I will never spend another penny with this outfit. Here is the responce I just sent them after being ignored yet again.

This email is to notify you that your company is now FIRED. There is no patience left. I am done! I know you donít care. You are probably happy to get rid of customers with expectations anyway. Why - You sell junk and you don't stand behind it. Your Customer Service department is anything but a Service department. Communication and status does not exist. Promises are as shallow and lame as the hot air they float on. I have one $450.00 plane that has been totally rebuilt with new functioning parts from other suppliers and after more than two months you are still screwing around in getting me the correct $1.00 motor for a defective Wing Folding servo. Next issue: Your web service says 48 hour response. I have sent numerous messages about latent defect retract gear in the $350.00 FMS 1700mm P-51 and you have never even had the decency to even respond once. If there was any way I could scream and yell at someone I would do so but it would fall on deaf ears. I am done with your company and everything you represent. It will be my goal and crusade to try to inform others of your miserable post sale support. It is a terrible shame since you are so well aware of the building disdain so many of your customers feel towards your company. I am one of many.

Adios
I understand you are pissed off, but the way you are talking to them no wonder they won't talk back. Yes BH is not the most stellar company to deal with, but I've never had an issue getting them to stand by their product. I've always been very polite over the phone and e-mails. Treat others as you want to be treated...

Respectfully,

MiniMog
Minimog is offline Find More Posts by Minimog
Old Jul 02, 2012, 09:57 PM
Joined Dec 2008
291 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minimog View Post
I understand you are pissed off, but the way you are talking to them no wonder they won't talk back. Yes BH is not the most stellar company to deal with, but I've never had an issue getting them to stand by their product. I've always been very polite over the phone and e-mails. Treat others as you want to be treated...

Respectfully,

MiniMog
I have been very nice and pleasant for months and it gets no where. I have $1K worth of planes that are unflyable due to latent defects and BH continues to ignore and stall my previosuly very pleasant attempts to resolve the issues. I am the nicest guy on the planet most of the time