HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 28, 2012, 02:50 AM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
10,910 Posts
Airimony.... (no that is not Chinese for Alimony... just alimony for aircraft).
PeterVRC is offline Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FPV Cameras & fixed or pan/tilt
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 28, 2012, 02:53 AM
Fly & Have Fun..Enjoy the Ride
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Mar 2009
5,656 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterVRC View Post
Airimony.... (no that is not Chinese for Alimony... just alimony for aircraft).
LOL..ok...got it....good call
brandonmoon is offline Find More Posts by brandonmoon
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Relocated back to Arizona
Old Jun 28, 2012, 09:25 PM
United States, TN, Oneida
Joined Oct 2011
20 Posts
Just got mine today from BH, this thing is HUGE. Ordered the blue nose 1400 also. I'll maiden it tomorrow, build date on it was this month and the gear cycle fine.
slopoke13 is offline Find More Posts by slopoke13
Old Jun 29, 2012, 11:05 AM
United States, CA, Yosemite Lakes
Joined Jan 2008
687 Posts
The differences I notice from my (supposed v2) retracts Is you have the grub screw access hole. My trunions were metal. The slot where you can see the spring is the same. But the wheel well looks like its just foam on yours? With a few plastic mounting locations. My entire wheel well is a large plastic insert into the foam. And I have the functional yet useless micro switches.
And the little wire used to keep the wheel skirt next to the oleo has that U bend in it. That so one can adjust it so it closes tightly to the wheel well?

The REAL question is. What does the PCB on the inside look like on the inside.
scribble007 is offline Find More Posts by scribble007
Old Jun 29, 2012, 12:22 PM
John V
Joined May 2011
13 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scribble007 View Post
The differences I notice from my (supposed v2) retracts Is you have the grub screw access hole. My trunions were metal. The slot where you can see the spring is the same. But the wheel well looks like its just foam on yours? With a few plastic mounting locations. My entire wheel well is a large plastic insert into the foam. And I have the functional yet useless micro switches.
And the little wire used to keep the wheel skirt next to the oleo has that U bend in it. That so one can adjust it so it closes tightly to the wheel well?

The REAL question is. What does the PCB on the inside look like on the inside.
You're correct, the wheel well is mostly foam except for a mounting plate for the gear door and servo.

Hopefully I won't have enough trouble with the gear to make it necessary to dig out the PCB

I will say it is fairly robust mechanically. When I added the EMS sequencer I had the switches backward so it raised the mains on top of the gear doors. Other that some whining in the main gear motor while it tried to push through the door there was no damage to anything.

- John
jvanantwerp is offline Find More Posts by jvanantwerp
Old Jun 29, 2012, 12:52 PM
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Mar 2009
5,656 Posts
Well I'm now thourghly confused on how the Mod # Sequence goes about these retracts, But I don't think the retracts in any of the latest planes we all have or have seen, are actually the V2's that FMS is refering too.

I got this from Austin at FMS yesterday explaining the modification needed for the actual V2 retract...which looks to be longer than the ones I've seen so far and the ones that are on and came with my "Red Tails" Mustang, which are exactly like what is posted above on "jvanantwerp" Red Tails" Mustang

I think the first 2 attempts and types we've seen are and were V1 and V1.5 (which had the Micro Switch on it on the V1.5) (Both V1 and V1.5 had metal trunions as well)

It would be interesting and I'm very currious to actually see a "V2" retract they are talking about?
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by brandonmoon; Jun 29, 2012 at 01:00 PM.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 01:20 PM
Joined Jan 2008
687 Posts
Lol, I too am confused as to what and if there are different version numbers for the retracts.
besides out side appearances. No way to really know. And the only ones that actually look different are the metal ones. Wonder what FMS refers to them internally in their system?

@jvanantwerp,
You said they are fairly robust. Could you tell me if you have any side to side turning play in the wheel? Both My mains were so loose that I had a good 15-20 degrees of rotation on the direction the wheel was facing (like a cars front wheels turning when one turns the steering wheel)
Made take offs a nightmare till it was up on step. Eventually causing it to strafe sideways into a curb.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 01:55 PM
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Mar 2009
5,656 Posts
Alot of that side to side play is in the strut and not in the retract unit itself. Check the grub screw that is in the slot where th spring is and make sure it is not screwed in too deep? If so?.... back it out a bit as it acts like a guide and aids in keeping the strut from that twisting motion...it works a lot better if its actually protuding a little beyond the slot is what i've found out....be sure to use some blue loctite though. Also check the 3 grub screws at the trunion and base leg of the strut itself. This should help correct some of that.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 29, 2012, 02:34 PM
ronht
Joined Sep 2009
415 Posts
I got the Yellow version last week from BH. No damage and my retracts sound more like the version before or a mix of the Red Tail version pictures above as I have the micro switches. I've installed an ICE ESC and BEC set to 4.9v and so far after 10 flights (knock on wood) I haven't had any issues with anything.

The only criticism of the aircraft I have is that it seems a lot slower and lacking in the power department than I was expecting from watching some of the videos on YouTube. I'm using the 6s 4000 mah 25c Blitzworks batteries BH had matched up to the airplane, so maybe that's the problem, I don't know. I have some GenAce batteries on the way. It just seems like I need more than 3/4 throttle to comfortably maintain level flight leaving little to no extra power for anything else. I have to dive a good bit to get enough speed to get it to loop without falling out on top, is that the experience you guys have been having?

Ron
ronht is offline Find More Posts by ronht
Old Jun 29, 2012, 02:45 PM
Joined Jan 2008
687 Posts
I only have a few flights on mine but I can fly comfortably at half throttle, maybe a bit more. But most of the guys on here did the V8 prop mod which gives it a substantial increase in speed but also bumps up WOT amps from 76ish to 92ish IIRC.

And I think another issue is, bigger planes appear slower then a smaller plane going the same speed.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 03:11 PM
ronht
Joined Sep 2009
415 Posts
Thanks, I'll give that a try. One of my problems may be that I'm used to big gas airplanes which generally fly a whole lot faster.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 08:50 PM
ronht
Joined Sep 2009
415 Posts
Did the V8 Prop Mod today and went out and ran two more batteries through it - WOW what a difference, it's a whole different animal now!

Thanks for the tip
Old Jun 29, 2012, 09:55 PM
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Mar 2009
5,656 Posts
Here is what I was talking about with the grub screw and that twisting action many of us are experiencing in the strut
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 29, 2012, 10:17 PM
United States, TN, Oneida
Joined Oct 2011
20 Posts
Are you guys running the prop mod with the stock esc? I feel she is a bit slow also, feels like a flying brick when you get below 3/4 throttle. Crashed mine on the maiden, but she's fixed now.
slopoke13 is offline Find More Posts by slopoke13