HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 02, 2012, 01:07 PM
Fly & Have Fun..Enjoy the Ride
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Mar 2009
5,659 Posts
Eddie,

Flight wise the P-51 and the P-47 are almost identical....very stable and redictable....very much like the AH-1 Sky Raider you did (I also have that plane)

As for the motor and ESC I thing the stock setup is very good and of good quality. I'm actually using it in 2 of the 4 I have here....The others I only upgraded and went to a 100A esc because of the Prop Mod we all tried out and did.....But it's not nessessary and flys great without it

The Retract issue....well that one you already have the scoop and skinny on....and know what's going on there. Yes... as of late the Stock retracts are generaly not up to the task of the size of these birds, but will work if your gentle on them and keep them operating below 5V and don't pancake the plane in

I personaly feel the all of the stock electronics are good and work great and there is no reason the change them unless you choose to due to personal preference.

The retract issue is the only weak link I see in these birds.
brandonmoon is online now Find More Posts by brandonmoon
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Relocated back to Arizona
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 02, 2012, 01:25 PM
Official Boat Bum
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Mar 2000
7,608 Posts
Hey thanks! All good to hear. I did feel the A-1 was a little sedate for my tastes - would love to see a slightly "hotter" performance standard but the A-1 does fly wonderfully.

So I guess I'll wait a bit to hear about the landing gear. Glad to see they upgraded the servos and such - small metered progress in quality is good even though notably "slow". Though it seems FMS has been at the head of the pack for a while in this regard.
Eddie P is offline Find More Posts by Eddie P
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 02, 2012, 04:21 PM
Joined Apr 2012
19 Posts
Would anyone happen to have a spare set of main gear I could buy? I don't need the retract units just the struts.
Thanks Mark
fly baby is offline Find More Posts by fly baby
Old Jun 03, 2012, 04:12 AM
France, Bretagne, Bohars
Joined May 2012
23 Posts
I bought this, very good finish and price but the maximum diameter of the wheel is 3".
http://cgi.ebay.fr/160mm-Long-5mm-Wi...-/230733667653
That exists at Robbart but the price is not at all the same, you must buy the two items :
http://www.robart.com/products/716-d...t-3-34-4-wheel
http://www.robart.com/products/716-d...t-3-34-4-wheel
But take care of a detail, for the assembly of these last ones, the measures are metrique at FMS, not at robbart.
lansing is offline Find More Posts by lansing
Old Jun 03, 2012, 04:41 AM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,407 Posts
Brandon's right...All-in-all, these birds are wonderful out of the box, bone stock...Except for the retracts, which has been discussed ad nauseum.
Aros is offline Find More Posts by Aros
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 03, 2012, 05:35 AM
France, Bretagne, Bohars
Joined May 2012
23 Posts
I made the first two flights with mine in stock version.
More numerous tries of the retract on the ground.
These retracts are pieces of sh...
But I knew it before, thanks to the forum.
I bought a pair of E-flite, very good for the price.
In the same way, i bought a Corsair 1.89m span from ESM.
Their electric retracts (optional) are very bad too.
I buy french one by E-retract, the very best on the market.
http://www.e-retract.com/fr/rs333/41-rs333-ft.html
More expensively but an excellent investment.
lansing is offline Find More Posts by lansing
Old Jun 03, 2012, 07:29 AM
Hey Guys, Watch This.......
USA, TX, El Paso
Joined Dec 2003
6,255 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aros View Post
Brandon's right...All-in-all, these birds are wonderful out of the box, bone stock...Except for the retracts, which has been discussed ad nauseum.
What we need to do is all of us return all theses useless retracts to FMS, The storage/ trash issue wold get their attention quick. Although we would need a couple of cargo containers........................................ ........
Mike
mike2663 is online now Find More Posts by mike2663
Old Jun 03, 2012, 10:51 AM
United States, TX, Dallas
Joined Dec 2008
291 Posts
Agree But

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike2663 View Post
What we need to do is all of us return all theses useless retracts to FMS, The storage/ trash issue wold get their attention quick. Although we would need a couple of cargo containers........................................ ........
Mike
This is a great idea. Unfortunately the shipping cost is the rub. It would be even more fun to do this to LX on the Corsair. If FMS retracts are CR_P! then the LX gear is worse than CR_P. At least FMS cares that they have an issue and are working to fix it. Well, let's see if they really follow through and force BH to give us new gear. LX just happily pretends like they don't understand English and ignore your questions when you want something from them, that is unless you want to buy stuff and then their English is pretty good...
Letsmakeadeal is offline Find More Posts by Letsmakeadeal
Old Jun 03, 2012, 10:56 AM
Most people are stupid!
Australia, QLD, Gold Coast
Joined Oct 2011
4,056 Posts
Also, not everyone is having problems with the retracts, so it's not quite accurate to say they are all rubbish. We don't really know why, but some are good (mine for example) and some are not (Aros et al).

The new ones will hopefully be out within a few months and will be amazeballs!
dambit is online now Find More Posts by dambit
Old Jun 03, 2012, 11:25 AM
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Mar 2009
5,659 Posts
this is true, however, FMS has directly admited that the Retracts are faulty and not up to the task of the airplane. though I agree ...if you pamper them, they will work for a while. they are really not actually that bad, but do need better and robust PCB controller with better quality Components to handle the higher voltages and currents as they were origionally advertised with, and a better Trunion locking mechanism to prevent over centering under stress loads.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 03, 2012, 12:36 PM
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Mar 2009
5,659 Posts
Re painted my Tuskegee pilot. also found an interesting paint that produced excellent crome results
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by brandonmoon; Jun 15, 2012 at 07:44 AM.
Old Jun 03, 2012, 01:03 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,407 Posts
Nice work!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 03, 2012, 01:08 PM
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Mar 2009
5,659 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aros View Post
Nice work!
Thanks, this paint looks a lot like the Valspar you used on the P-47....has a nice Chrome effect....Though I'm going with a more shiny aluminum fininsh on this one I'm doing now with only certain parts being chromed by this paint
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 03, 2012, 01:12 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,407 Posts
I'll have to check that paint out...
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 03, 2012, 01:16 PM
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Mar 2009
5,659 Posts
A little progress
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by brandonmoon; Jun 15, 2012 at 07:44 AM.