HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 22, 2012, 01:24 AM
Should've, Would've, Could've
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,573 Posts
Thanks for the heads up BM. I may just end up passing on my replacement retracts if it's more hassle than i need.
v8truckin is online now Find More Posts by v8truckin
to remove ads between posts
Old May 22, 2012, 01:26 AM
Fly & Have Fun..Enjoy the Ride
Joined Mar 2009
5,655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8truckin View Post
Thanks for the heads up BM. I may just end up passing on my replacement retracts if it's more hassle than i need.
Don't do that. you paid for them...you deserve your replacements
brandonmoon is offline Find More Posts by brandonmoon
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Relocated back to Arizona
Old May 22, 2012, 02:16 AM
Joined Mar 2009
5,655 Posts
Just finally got the chance to give the Mustang a good inspection and assess the damage from yesterday. Looks like I'll be needing new wings (Old ones are possibly repairable?, but I wouldn't trust them to do loops or rolls) and also going to need the Plactic wheel well inserts that the retracts mount to ...they are demolished and spit up too bad to repair and withstand the impact of a hard landing... a greaser...maybe?

It also bent the 5 mm steel strut peg the joins the strut and the retract together and the Off-seet part of the strut mounted to the straight part of the strut (bent it past the grub screw)

Hopefully replacement wings come with those? I'm not sure?

Both wings broke right in between the edge of the plastic gun piece (which happens to be the end of the leading edge spar that's embeded in the wing to the tip) and the back of the plastic retract mount piece.

This is a weak area, I can now see, after I pulled the plastic retract mount piece out and the wing relys on the plastic piece for strength and reinforcement in that area. Right where the wing fairing taper ends on the wing and the leading edge starts and goes to the wing tip.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by brandonmoon; May 22, 2012 at 02:32 AM.
Old May 22, 2012, 04:28 AM
Joined Mar 2009
5,655 Posts
I will weave Magic and she will fly again .....and soon!!! Where there is a will... There is a way
RCG Plus Member
Old May 22, 2012, 08:36 AM
Joined Mar 2009
5,655 Posts
Well I have to say this one has been the best one yet....and He fits Perfectly in the P-51 and the P-47. I like it with his hand up on the throttle.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by brandonmoon; Jun 15, 2012 at 06:44 AM.
Old May 22, 2012, 10:19 AM
United States, DE, Dover
Joined Oct 2011
373 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8truckin View Post
send them to me!!! I like to float and land on my retracts soft like a feather
Smoothcruizer3 is offline Find More Posts by Smoothcruizer3
Old May 22, 2012, 11:25 AM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,309 Posts
Your pilot looks great Brandon!
Aros is offline Find More Posts by Aros
RCG Plus Member
Old May 22, 2012, 02:28 PM
Should've, Would've, Could've
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,573 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoothcruizer3 View Post
send them to me!!! I like to float and land on my retracts soft like a feather
lol!
v8truckin is online now Find More Posts by v8truckin
Old May 22, 2012, 07:58 PM
Doctorfoamy on Youtube
United States, TX, Denton
Joined Sep 2011
176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonmoon View Post
Hopefully replacement wings come with those? I'm not sure?

Both wings broke right in between the edge of the plastic gun piece (which happens to be the end of the leading edge spar that's embeded in the wing to the tip) and the back of the plastic retract mount piece.

This is a weak area, I can now see, after I pulled the plastic retract mount piece out and the wing relys on the plastic piece for strength and reinforcement in that area. Right where the wing fairing taper ends on the wing and the leading edge starts and goes to the wing tip.
Brandon - did you have a V2 wing with the extra spar that bridges the other two inserted ones? The additional spar would be in the slot with the servo wires. My V1 did not have these, but Raymond at RC Castle sent some extras that I installed for extra strength. I agree that this is the weak point of the wing - Maurice Podder posted vid/pics on this issue back in Jan/Feb.... Sorry for the crack up.... get er back up soon!
jlkitz is offline Find More Posts by jlkitz
Old May 22, 2012, 08:02 PM
Doctorfoamy on Youtube
United States, TX, Denton
Joined Sep 2011
176 Posts
Flight vid

Finally had two days without wind, so I worked on dives and low level passes. Such a great airplane. It really flys like it is on a rail.....

I decided to not mix in the onboard cam video, but might do that later. That is what is tied to the antenna behind the canopy.

Be sure to view in high def - 720+

FMS 1700mm P-51 Mustang Flight and Low Pass Practice.mp4 (2 min 31 sec)
jlkitz is offline Find More Posts by jlkitz
Old May 22, 2012, 08:21 PM
Joined Mar 2009
5,655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlkitz View Post
Brandon - did you have a V2 wing with the extra spar that bridges the other two inserted ones? The additional spar would be in the slot with the servo wires. My V1 did not have these, but Raymond at RC Castle sent some extras that I installed for extra strength. I agree that this is the weak point of the wing - Maurice Podder posted vid/pics on this issue back in Jan/Feb.... Sorry for the crack up.... get er back up soon!
Yes they are v2, but what im talking about and describing is further forward on the leading edge
RCG Plus Member
Old May 22, 2012, 08:38 PM
fvi
Canada, ON
Joined Jul 2011
564 Posts
Quote:
Finally had two days without wind, so I worked on dives and low level passes. Such a great airplane. It really flys like it is on a rail.....

I decided to not mix in the onboard cam video, but might do that later. That is what is tied to the antenna behind the canopy.

http://youtu.be/ou9Dkn4Hp1s
Thanks for posting I really enjoyed your video. Love the sound of that 4 bladed prop.

Cheers!
fvi is offline Find More Posts by fvi
Old May 22, 2012, 11:07 PM
United States, TX, Dallas
Joined Dec 2008
291 Posts
Very Nice Video

Quote:

Hey jlkitz - What a beautiful flying site. Near Dallas? Where is Flightwing? Have not heard from him in a while. Looking for a report on the Vario Prop and Hacker...
Letsmakeadeal is offline Find More Posts by Letsmakeadeal
Old May 23, 2012, 12:27 AM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,309 Posts
Nice video jlkitz! Wow, what a nice field you fly at. The video was short but sweet. Great 2-pointer at the end!
Aros is offline Find More Posts by Aros
RCG Plus Member
Old May 23, 2012, 01:30 AM
Portland, Oregon
Joined Aug 2008
1,541 Posts
Quote:

Great video and smooth scale flying... Nice landing and rollout too...
Thanks for sharing...
bnick
bnick2k8 is offline Find More Posts by bnick2k8