HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 17, 2012, 06:33 AM
Fly & Have Fun..Enjoy the Ride
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Mar 2009
5,656 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8truckin View Post
BM that's my favorite view 3rd person perspective. Not to many do it, but it give you the best perspective on what the plane is doing.
Should be interesting...we'll see how it plays on the CG.

You know....I think in my next plane I am going to find a "Snoopy" figure with a wicked pair of gogles on him and put him in the Pilot seat

to follow soon
brandonmoon is offline Find More Posts by brandonmoon
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Relocated back to Arizona
to remove ads between posts
Old May 17, 2012, 08:05 AM
Should've, Would've, Could've
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,677 Posts
lol! No harm in having the #1 ace of all time in the cockpit.
v8truckin is online now Find More Posts by v8truckin
Old May 17, 2012, 08:08 AM
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Dec 2002
142 Posts
Well, I've decided to buy the Red Tails version as I had a V1 Frankie but had to sell it before I could build it. I converted a Hangar 9 1.50 size Frankie a few years ago and it flew great but now that there is another paint scheme and that several of you have discussed repainting methods, I'd like to try something different. I already have a set of Eflite retracts from another model but am not sure whether they are 85* or 90* but after reading this terrific thread, it's a sure thing I'm going to need them!

I'm going to wait until BH offers a special of some kind though. Memorial Day is coming and perhaps, if they offer free shipping or a discount, I may end up picking up the RT Mustang and the newer paint version of the P-47.

This really has been a great thread and between BM, Aros and V8, you couldn't ask for a more detailed and experience driven source of information and help.

Thanks guys...

Curt
curtusua is offline Find More Posts by curtusua
Old May 17, 2012, 09:25 AM
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,677 Posts
Too bad you had to sell it, but glad to hear your getting another. She's a great plane and probably 1 off my favorite to fly in my hangar.

As for the eflite retracts. I can't think off the top of my head how you can tell just by looking @ em, if they are 90* or 85*, but either will work just have to add washers to one side or the other. if u set the retracts in the mounts and screw em in and they bow in a lil u got 85*. If they bow out a lil u got 90*. Would say u got 90* as most hobby shops stock 90*, as 85* are usually special orders... just a guess.

And your welcome on what info has been provided. Its a great group of guys on here and a lot of info. , but if you take the time to read and ask questions there's almost an answer to everything. I've learned a lot here, so again your welcome and im sure Aros & BM feel just as happy to help.
Last edited by v8truckin; May 17, 2012 at 09:34 AM.
Old May 17, 2012, 07:21 PM
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Mar 2009
5,656 Posts
Absolutely
RCG Plus Member
Old May 18, 2012, 01:13 AM
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Mar 2009
5,656 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtusua View Post
Well, I've decided to buy the Red Tails version as I had a V1 Frankie but had to sell it before I could build it. I converted a Hangar 9 1.50 size Frankie a few years ago and it flew great but now that there is another paint scheme and that several of you have discussed repainting methods, I'd like to try something different. I already have a set of Eflite retracts from another model but am not sure whether they are 85* or 90* but after reading this terrific thread, it's a sure thing I'm going to need them!

I'm going to wait until BH offers a special of some kind though. Memorial Day is coming and perhaps, if they offer free shipping or a discount, I may end up picking up the RT Mustang and the newer paint version of the P-47.

This really has been a great thread and between BM, Aros and V8, you couldn't ask for a more detailed and experience driven source of information and help.

Thanks guys...

Curt
You're welcome Curt. V8 said it best and I absloutely agree with him. These guys are great...Welcome aboard!!!
RCG Plus Member
Old May 18, 2012, 03:45 AM
Paul B
Australia, TAS, Launceston
Joined Dec 2009
352 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dambit View Post
Hi All,

After 50 great and thankfully uneventful flights with Frankie, I have become bored with the paint scheme and am doing a complete repaint on this bird. Polished metal finish with RAAF markings. They didn't have a polished finish during the war, but hey, I like a challenge

I am currently spraying a base coat of white and proceeding to smooth out the finish. I have tried a few products, but to be honest the best I have found is a marine grade outdoor polyurethane clear coat. It is not too thick, can be brushed on and is self leveling. I'll sand with an 800 or 1000 grit wet & dry between coats. Once the surface is done I will be spraying on a few coats of White Knight Super Chrome. This stuff is amazing, but then again it should be at $20 a can It needs a very smooth surface to work but has been worth the effort in the past.

Should be interesting

Cheers,

Steve
Have you thought about using chrome vinyl?

Paul
Pannoch RC is offline Find More Posts by Pannoch RC
Old May 18, 2012, 05:18 AM
"Aircraftus Fragmentum"
Motor City USA
Joined Mar 2007
3,638 Posts
Hey Brandon and V8........ just thinking back on retracts.... did anyone hear from or get new replacements for the bad retracts from FMS (I need to read back and see what has happened)?
kydawg1 is offline Find More Posts by kydawg1
Old May 18, 2012, 05:35 AM
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Mar 2009
5,656 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kydawg1 View Post
Hey Brandon and V8........ just thinking back on retracts.... did anyone hear from or get new replacements for the bad retracts from FMS (I need to read back and see what has happened)?
NO, not yet, and still waiting for mine like every one else, It is my understanding they are still working on the new ones, and should be out soon? and that they will be much better and more like the E-flites
RCG Plus Member
Old May 18, 2012, 10:52 AM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,326 Posts
Just got word that the new FMS-manufactured retracts will be ready for release in June. WOOT!
Aros is online now Find More Posts by Aros
RCG Plus Member
Old May 18, 2012, 11:45 AM
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,677 Posts
Ky,
Nope haven't heard directly from them since I emailed em, but since I've got the eflite not worried. Just wanted them to replace the retracts since everyone else was getting replacements and they weren't working right. Guess I was being greedy...maybe.

Aros,

Plastic or metal retracts?
Old May 18, 2012, 11:50 AM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,326 Posts
v8, I don't know for 100 percent certainty but I am under the impression they will be metal like E-flites.
Aros is online now Find More Posts by Aros
RCG Plus Member
Old May 18, 2012, 01:31 PM
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Mar 2009
5,656 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aros View Post
Just got word that the new FMS-manufactured retracts will be ready for release in June. WOOT!
That sounds great!!! can't wait to see them.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 18, 2012, 04:19 PM
United States, CA, Yosemite Lakes
Joined Jan 2008
687 Posts
Me too
I'm in need of retracts!
scribble007 is offline Find More Posts by scribble007
Old May 18, 2012, 06:41 PM
United States, TX, Dallas
Joined Dec 2008
291 Posts
@ aros

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aros View Post
Hey Todd - Any indication on what the switch out program will be? Eventhough I am putting E-Flite gear in the P-51 it would still be nice to have a functional set of retracts on the shelf...Thanks...David
Letsmakeadeal is offline Find More Posts by Letsmakeadeal